• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone thought of this?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I've noticed that Villager's loid can stop his aerial momentum, i've also noticed that if you get launched, you have a frame of recovered hitstun JUST before you SD in the deathzone.

So if you use loid in that frame of recovery before your terrible fate, you can stop yourself and be completely safe.

Has anyone else thought of this? I can't be the only one....

I use lloid to stall in the air pretty often, and I think I've seen videos where zee does that too, though I hadn't considered using it just before getting launched through a blastline

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
I hadn't considered doing that either, could work!

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Great idea! Will try!

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ya this sort of works, usually special moves increase your momentum a bit if you use them out of hitstun, I haven't been able to tell if it happens with lloid rocket yet though, so i've been careful to not use it if I'd survive anyway just in case. You can launch lloid out into the blast zone and it will despawn allowing you to use another lloid pretty quickly, similar to wall stalling with a lloid.

MaggieMagister

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4657-0072-4618
A lot of Japanese villagers are doing this, yes. You can't prevent yourself from dying if the knockback is great enough, but I'm sure you've all had those hits where you were sent flying and just before you died, you could jump/airdodge/etc., but the momentum killed you regardless? THOSE are the hits that Lloid will definitely save you from.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Yup i use it to save myself from huge knockback pretty much often. You can also stop yourself in the air before landing and then doing a Nair. If the opponent has enough dammage, he will be knocked exactly on the Lloid, pretty nice combo !

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Speaking of loid...

I found a combo that can be performed if you:

Short hop then use your loid

Fast fall in a straight line

Approach your opponent, and dash attack him/her

If succesful. Yoir opponent will flinch by the dash attack and also get hit by the loid

It doesn't do much, but it looks really awesome.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Speaking of loid...

I found a combo that can be performed if you:

Short hop then use your loid

Fast fall in a straight line

Approach your opponent, and dash attack him/her

If succesful. Yoir opponent will flinch by the dash attack and also get hit by the loid

It doesn't do much, but it looks really awesome.
What I tend to do, I think its a good approach is short hop loid, on the way down fair (slingshot) if hit at certain percents it is a combo, if shielded, at least you can grow a tree while they're busy :)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Since lloid will stop your momentum completely, I usually go for that, because it gets me back into the game quickly.

Advise, if you use that after Diddy dthrows you, if you are at high enough percents, to the point where he cant get a true combo, he will most likely hit the lloid and go flying. Upward. And kill himself, if HE is damaged enough.

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
There are so many things you can do with lloid.

The most useful thing I've found thus far is grabbing whilst lloid it hitting them. Most people will shield the lloid rocket, so you can just grab them out of it. Pretty simple, but effective.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
There are so many things you can do with lloid.

The most useful thing I've found thus far is grabbing whilst lloid it hitting them. Most people will shield the lloid rocket, so you can just grab them out of it. Pretty simple, but effective.
Oh it's great to launch one, start running at them to make them nervous, and sure they could jump or roll somewhere maybe, but it's likely they'll shield and once you do that you can actually hold them in place a bit, have them be hit by lloid, and continue to throw them.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I had to break this habit because I've died sometimes when the lloid comes out, and the lloid glitches and teleports to the other side of the map
But it seems like it works, usually either comes out or doesn't, DI'ing and side bing is hard tho

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I had to break this habit because I've died sometimes when the lloid comes out, and the lloid glitches and teleports to the other side of the map
But it seems like it works, usually either comes out or doesn't, DI'ing and side bing is hard tho
Wait. What?!

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I've had it happen twice, cannot confirm if it still happens since this was prior to lloid glitch patch (the lloid that would kill at like 40)
Can't confirm it happens on wiiu either

Regardless, it spawns too far for it to hit anything.

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
I insert Side-B towards the stage when doing this;
Sometimes the gyroid spawns and I still die,
sometimes the sound of the gyroid spawn happens but doesn't spawn (and still die),
Once there was no sound, (and I died) and it turned out the gyroid spawned which was surprising.

Before I side-B I try to DI as best as I can (as we normally do), the transition into doing the Side-B, is I just try to do it as late as possible/ very close to the blast zone, usually holding movement joystick towards to stage (with maybe a few re-doing the joystick to neutral and smash it towards the stage again) whilst pressing B as fast as I can.

I haven't tested if I should side B facing the blast zone, anyone have anything on this?
One of the perks is that the gyroid will dissapear into the blast zone and so you can spawn another one to help you fight your way back on to stage.

Also here is an experiment I did:
"Using the gyroid to stop your momentum and in turn surviving. I have tested this on a custom stage with a lava pole in the middle of a medium size stage. At 152% you will die when you hit the lava wall, but if you hit the lava wall and just before you are about to enter the blast zone your hit stun goes away just in time to use a final move, and hence a Gyroid will save you. If you increase the percentage to 153%, 154% you can also survive with this. It gets a bit random at 154%. At 155% you will hear the Gyroid spawn sound, but you will still die. " (-an earlier message of mine on another website (http://qldsmash.com/Forum/Thread/villager-character-discussion.124/1) )

Last edited:

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Couple Questions;
I initially thought that the intent was to ride the Lloid back to the stage (something that I really need to cut down on), but it would be, under most circumstances, safer to use balloon flight, correct?
Also, is there any sort of cue as to when to do it, or would you have to know where the blast line is?
Would spamming Side-B and praying that you press it on the right frame be more reliable?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Couple Questions;
I initially thought that the intent was to ride the Lloid back to the stage (something that I really need to cut down on), but it would be, under most circumstances, safer to use balloon flight, correct?
Also, is there any sort of cue as to when to do it, or would you have to know where the blast line is?
Would spamming Side-B and praying that you press it on the right frame be more reliable?
Spam side B so you do it as soon as you're out of hitstun.

Also riding the lloid back to the stage can be safer than balloon ride, due to the speed. Most will just stay on stage and shied, some will try to hop and attack you out of it. If you notice your opponent tries to attack, slow down to throw off their timing and speed up again to get on stage.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I...this needs to be further researched.

This could be the equivalent of bucket brake...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Robin's Down-smash must have special properties. I've never come across that before, and I use the technique heaps, but yeah- maybe there is some research to be done.
Only special property it has is lightning, so I guess trying with pika might work?

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
I've noticed that Villager's loid can stop his aerial momentum, i've also noticed that if you get launched, you have a frame of recovered hitstun JUST before you SD in the deathzone.

So if you use loid in that frame of recovery before your terrible fate, you can stop yourself and be completely safe.

Has anyone else thought of this? I can't be the only one....
(edit)
Hi @AceStarThe3rd! Big Fan here! I'm not the best villager but I'll try to contribute a little bit....

Spamming side B when launch helps Villager survive A LOT more because Side B-stops momentum. Don't forget to tell them to move their stick towards the stage after a successful side b at the blast zone because if not, It will cause them to accidentally suicide as they are so close to the blast zone.
(/edit)

This is a known technique, you can use it in different ways and it's useful too, since many people forget that when you usually airdodge, performing side B will stop your momentum and help you survive.

I literally spam (or mash?) side B every time I get launched far. That said, I live until crazy percents to the point where my friends and my opponents get annoyed. (often become the stock warehouse when playing teams)

It's a helpful technique and if you do it, move your control stick towards the stage so you don't accidentally SD, you are really close to the blastzone.

Other times, it has happened that I was launched too far and, even though I spammed side b the whole time, The side B still fired, but I still got KO'd because I didn't get out of hitstun as early.

The drawback is that you lose a great tool for recovery. You can mix up your recovery by Rocket stalling in the air and landing or doing something else.
This however can be solved by spamming side B TOWARDS the blastzone. This way, the rocket will disappear immediately. Even then, You will be facing backwards and you will have to move your stick backwards towards the stage. This can be solved by air stalling again but it's risky.

This technique could also be used to stop stage spikes when you fail a tech. This could save you from the bottom blastzone if you spam side B and then quickly spam up B. But when you're trying to tech a spike, a failed tech is like the Spanish Inquisition. Nobody expects the Inquisition.

Edit: Seriously thought this technique was popular and widely known. Surprised @ zeezee zeezee and @ Player-1 Player-1 didn't know about it, thought I learned it from Zee (Maybe it was either Ranai or Zinoto, idk). Oh well, The more you know, hopefully this becomes a key part of pro villager gameplay. (Still going through your videos @ zeezee zeezee because, call me crazy, but I learned this from someone; I'm sure I didn't subconsciously come up with this.

Edit 2: Quote from post in Ace's guide.

Me doing it: Watch from 3:39

Compilation of replays of how it looks in practice.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
(edit) (/edit)

This is a known technique, you can use it in different ways and it's useful too, since many people forget that when you usually airdodge, performing side B will stop your momentum and help you survive.

I literally spam (or mash?) side B every time I get launched far. That said, I live until crazy percents to the point where my friends and my opponents get annoyed. (often become the stock warehouse when playing teams)

It's a helpful technique and if you do it, move your control stick towards the stage so you don't accidentally SD, you are really close to the blastzone.

Other times, it has happened that I was launched too far and, even though I spammed side b the whole time, The side B still fired, but I still got KO'd because I didn't get out of hitstun as early.

The drawback is that you lose a great tool for recovery. You can mix up your recovery by Rocket stalling in the air and landing or doing something else.
This however can be solved by spamming side B TOWARDS the blastzone. This way, the rocket will disappear immediately. Even then, You will be facing backwards and you will have to move your stick backwards towards the stage. This can be solved by air stalling again but it's risky.

This technique could also be used to stop stage spikes when you fail a tech. This could save you from the bottom blastzone if you spam side B and then quickly spam up B. But when you're trying to tech a spike, a failed tech is like the Spanish Inquisition. Nobody expects the Inquisition.

Edit: Seriously thought this technique was popular and widely known. Surprised @ zeezee zeezee and @ Player-1 Player-1 didn't know about it, thought I learned it from Zee (Maybe it was either Ranai or Zinoto, idk). Oh well, The more you know, hopefully this becomes a key part of pro villager gameplay. (Still going through your videos @ zeezee zeezee because, call me crazy, but I learned this from someone; I'm sure I didn't subconsciously come up with this.

Edit 2: Quote from post in Ace's guide.

Me doing it: Watch from 3:39

Compilation of replays of how it looks in practice.
From what I know, it only lets you survive a few % more, like 3-4%

I could be wrong tho

Top Bottom