• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone played an online match that WASN'T very laggy?

jotun

Smash Ace
I just played a few with a friend who lives in the same city. It was unpleasently laggy. Not nearly as bad as playing with random people, but it still felt like 100+ms latency.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
yeah i just played a with anyone match for the first time..and it was lagging like crazy..and i have cable internet.. i dont lag in any other online game hardcore like this..and the crazy thing is ..it lags wen im hitting buttons but if i stay still its going smooth. =\

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Today I've played with some people from Europe, at first the lag was unbarable, but somehow after 2 matches it become nearly as smooth as offline play, after that, my brother and another person joined for a FFA, it was just the same as the unlaggy 1v1s, I guess that it just depends on the time, cuz neigther of us have changed the settings or anything.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
I've played people in california and washington and had awful lag and I've played people in Ohio and Texas and have had nearly no lag. The closer the better for sure, but the people that I've played in the eastcoast had a LAN connection (so do I) and that reduced the lag a ton.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
I've played people in california and washington and had awful lag and I've played people in Ohio and Texas and have had nearly no lag. The closer the better for sure, but the people that I've played in the eastcoast had a LAN connection (so do I) and that reduced the lag a ton.
I missed something. A LAN is a Local Area Network, which means... you know.. Local.. how you can you have a Lan connection with anyone outside of your personal network? I'm not an expert on that kind of thing I'm just... confused.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I missed something. A LAN is a Local Area Network, which means... you know.. Local.. how you can you have a Lan connection with anyone outside of your personal network? I'm not an expert on that kind of thing I'm just... confused.
You didn't miss anything, LAN is local area network.
I guess he got confused with something else, cause there is no way LAN is going to help.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the servers are probably going thru one final tset before full launch tonight. tomorow all your lags (if you have good internet) will be solved ^_^. also depends on how far ur wii is from your router

Geop

Smash Cadet
Does Nintendo even use servers for games?

I was given the impression that all games are played Wii to Wii.

I mean, I hear Tenkaichi had awful lag which would point to the impression laid upon me, because I'm sure that if they played something like SOCOM or CoD4 it wouldn't be very laggy even with 32 players, explosions and vehicles everywhere. Tenkaichi was a fight between two people that was apparantly very laggy.

I really hope they do develop some dedicated servers if they don't have them already, so that only the people with bad internet (comme moi) have input lag..

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Even if you have a good connection, it could still lag if your opponent doesn't.

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
Maybe he meant a wired connection vs. Wifi because that could have a large effect if the wii is not in the same room as a router especially without some kind of signal booster on the router.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I just played with my friend. The lag was horrible. I have much less lag playing SSB64 Online. I'm disappointed ;(

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
ive never been too keen on understanding how technology i use work...but i also tried a couple of online matches and the lag was pretty bad...i really hope its not an indication of how my online experience with Brawl will always be...i realize a lot of people are probably trying out the online function of the game since it just came out a few hours ago...i really really hope thats whats going on.

Top Bottom