• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone found any viable edge-guarding tactics?

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I find it a bore having to wait on the stage as the opponent inevitability makes their recovery. Jumping off stage and attacking can have merit with certain characters, but a lot of characters have such rediculous recovery now, they can just as easily dodge you and make it back to the stage, leaving you in just as dangeous a position if you're not grounded.

Are there any particular characters or techniques that anyone has found that can safely edge-guard, or any characters that can be edge-guarded against (besides LM)?

Last edited:

Qbopper

Smash Rookie
Little Mac's Dsmash almost always nets me a KO if I can get it to connect. Ii can be tricky to bait them into going for the ledge, but if I can make them think I plan on hitting them with an Usmash or Utilt then they will usually jump right into the Dsmash.

I don't know much but it works well for me.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Sheik can do work edge guarding. Watch the Tourney Locator tournament and look out for Denti.

Villager's tree and bowling ball are good.

Jr.'s down smash can work.

And of course spikes are always good if you can trick people into dodging early.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
This, mostly. There's a video around (which I can't find) of a Ganondorf using this into a bair to keep opponents off stage. I'm sure the same idea would apply to any other character with a good bair.

ketchup799

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1778-9907-5254
With Rosaluma i've got:

- Charge B and launch luma at them when they double jump (or whenever they are even with my level
- Have luma wait near the edge and side+b
- Have luma further out and do any tilt or smash when they get close
- jump and fair/bair (usually dodge-able, but with luma out as a distraction it sometimes works)

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
Yeah, the change to edge guarding has, IMO, made the game A LOT more interesting around the edges. You have to take risks and go for Meteor Smashes/Spikes which is awesome.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
As an Ike main (mostly Ike examples following), I use Eruption so that the sword will hang off the edge, and then follow-up with an attack when they are launched upwards (this was very difficult in Brawl due to stronger edge sweetspotting). I also will go out and Fair if necessary (it works most of the time). Down-tilt is also great for people who do not sweetspot the edge right away, especially effective against Little Mac, pushing opponent out horizontally (I wish it still Meteor Smashed, but it's much easier to hit in this game and would be broken if it did). Dair is also an obvious option, and it's easier to spike with in Smash 4, because unlike Brawl most of the hit actually spikes now, but it lost a lot of range. The Reverse Aether Spike done without SDing is now impossible because Ike can no longer recover in reverse with Aether, but it will still spike HARD. Instead the safer option is go off the edge and recover normally with Aether. If Ike hits the opponent this way, they will be spiked HARD. Aether on the stage to catch opponents who decide to go over the edge isn't a bad way to deal damage.

If I feel like catching someone off guard, I will jump onto the edge and ledge trump them and then follow-up the best I can with maybe a Bair. If it fails, it'll at least leave them shaken up a bit, feeling a bit less secure.

If the person has made it to the edge, I will predict which recovery option they will take from there and punish it. Most people will not go for the jump, and will instead go to a roll or stand-up/attack, so I punish with a Fair as it leaves me the least open if it fails. People who hang on the edge too long can be hit, so a Fair to the edge works at that point too.

Last edited:

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
The edge game has become so much more fun and interesting its rad. Meteor smashing has never been more crucial and exciting.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Wait for them to stall on the ledge because they forget they lose invincibility after the first regrab, then walk over and Dair. (Only works on scrubs)

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Greninja is quite good at edgeguarding in my opinion. His shirken has enough power to KO high percentage foes when fully charged. His Bair is a great multi-strike move and has some power to it and his Dair if hit right is a powerful spike that'll send foes straight down. Hydro Pump when used facing away from foes also pushes them further away from the stage.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
As Bowser Jr, I like dropping my Up B on people who try to recover low. Safe for me and hilarious when it works. "Thought you were gonna grab ledge? Nah, hold this car."

g00dapollo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Barayas
3DS FC
0061-0892-6923
Anyone have any idea's/tips for edgeguarding with :4zss:? I'm still learning edgeguarding in general, any help is appreciated.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Enter Monado Jump. Follow them to the god damn blast zone like a boss with a fair or meteor dair. Spam taunt.

So many characters with good recoveries its absurd. Got to play aggresive

Top Bottom