• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone explored footstooling?

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Just thought about this but havent had time to lab time or check it out myself. but has anyone tried to implement footstooling in their play and found situations where its useful and what can follow up on a footstool?

Risky

Smash Ace
I literally just fired up my Wii and was messing around today in training mode. I combo'd a Marth into Footstool -> Dair 1 hit -> aFP. It's tight timing to get the Dair right after the Footstool (and awkward for me since my Footstool is mapped to X) but I think this would be a 100% reliable setup, as Dair 1 hit has no knockback scaling.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
is this an Air footstool or footstooling a standing opponent? I feel like footstooling a standing person isnt that useful? Since we can just Dair -> FP on shields.

Risky

Smash Ace
An aerial footstool offstage.

It's a different mixup than Dair -> FP. Footstool has no actual downside if you try it while you're in the air, so if you miss it you can just do the Dair after if you want. You could even input Footstool -> Dair -> FP and basically always footstool combo them if they're shielding, or just Dair -> FP if they started acting (since you can't Footstool someone who's doing something).

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
cant wait to get home to give this a shot myself but in my head i find it hard to see how aerial footstool -> Dair -> FP could work. wont they be too low?

Risky

Smash Ace
If you immediately Dair after the Footstool it stops Lucario's momentum and hits them with your toe as soon as you jump off.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
*cough* @AbstractLogic *cough*. Oh. 'Scuse me. Must be something in the air.

From what I've seen, footstool, grounded or aerial, will link into dair(1st)>aFP, since Lucario's vertical momentum is cancelled. Also, come to find out, you can footstool someone who is shielding, and it causes them to enter the footstool animation, and drop their shield!

As for setups into a footstool, perhaps a rising uair vs. platformed opponent at low-ish percent..? Setting up a footstool out of anything but a throw or usmash seems rather difficult.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
Footstooling seems almost counter intuitive as Lucario when they're shielding since you basically want them to always be shielding and doing stuff on shield. Dair is such a powerful followup to it that it seems foolish not to incorporate though. Lucario has too many options.

I'm sure Utilt/Dtilt/gFP during any low-mid% combo would lead to a footstool.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
At 15-60% and the right angle theres a way to get one or two fairs into a footstool for a confirmed dair or gimp?

make a cpu jump, do two fairs then when lucario is right above their head mash jump and it almost always works
A smart player may di correctly so it might not always work

oh this is project m, rofl. welp nvm

I've never found a use for footstooling on project m with lucario because of his tons of other options like other people already mentioned

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
It makes confirming certain combos and followups significantly easier. One of the major things I don't like is that it requires me to play with a tag on, which is actually a major disadvantage. Time to practice footstool combos with the D-Pad!

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
Why is a tag a major disadvantage on lucario? Characters like sheik and zelda i understand, but i'm confusedfor lucario

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Also Zelda and Sheik don't really have that much disadvantage with tag now since its invisible too then. Like I main MK and I always play with tag and its no problem with cape or anything whatsoever.

Risky

Smash Ace
It's much easier to keep track of people with tags on, and this is detrimental when trying to mix people up with DT and when varying Up-B recoveries (I often have to go high against Marth, for example).

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone thought of linking first hit of dair into an aura bomb? I just had the idea after noticing the first hit of dair pops the opponent up slightly with almost no knockback. The opponent really can't DI away from it very well, so they'll get caught in the overhead hitbox and get a face full of aura from the aura bomb. I also tried incorporating B reverse AS from a fair into bair, though it seems really DI dependent. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I ran a few thorough tests with my little brother on the dair -> aura bomb idea. I have almost no reason to doubt that it's a guaranteed kill set up as long as you do a stationary SH (momentum will make the float with aura bomb happen and completely wreck it). I ran CC cancel tests on most characters, DI tests, and when Luc does dair and uses aura bomb while falling tests on its DI.

The results on the CC were that literally none of the characters could CC this. Only exception was Bowser because of his armor (seriously don't use this on Bowser). DI tests fetched very good results. I ran this on the same characters, including strong CC characters like Samus, Mewtwo, DK, etc., and no one could reliably DI out of this attack without getting hit by the overhead hitbox. I had some like Falco avoid 1-2 more hits than others thanks to his fast falling, but he was always still caught in hitstun when connecting with the ground, and had to wait those few frames from landing. It always still hit them regardless. Dair -> falling aura bomb DI tests always resulted in a hit as well. This was all done in training on FD and Battlefield under 1/4 and full speed to get the results.
What if there was a way we could stop all horizontal momentum and link into an unshieldable dair(1st)? :3

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Grounded footstools are absolutely amazing, because you can waveland out of a footstool and start a combo from there!

Footstool > Jab > Down tilt> Silliness etc.

Searingarrow

Smash Rookie
force palm bruh, its his side b.
you better off consulting the techskill brief thread thingy darkgun posted
Yeah I figured it out after I thought about the names of all of his moves, but couldn't delete my post. It's my first time browsing the Lucario forums and I wasn't used to all the abbreviations. Thank you, though! :)

Top Bottom