• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone ever written/read a Super Smash Bros Fanfiction?

RJBlazer

Smash Rookie
Like, do you ever go on websites like Fanfiction.net and just read a fanfiction related to Super Smash Bros or has there been a time when you wrote a Super Smash Bros Fanfiction and post it online?

I'm working on a fanfiction called SmashTales: The Aura Within that will feature every Smash Bros Character, plus additional characters, a dark storyline, and much more.

It's on progress but here's the link for my fanfiction.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11483621/1/SmashTales-The-Aura-Within

Also, if you're interested, you can follow me in order to receive updates.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I think I read one where all the playable characters in Brawl-era Smash switched bodies with each other, due to Manaphy (we need her back, Sakurai, plz).

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I know there's this one guy, Aurachannelerchris or something, that wrote the longest piece of fanfiction (or fiction in general ever published?) ever, a Smash Bros. fanfiction or something. But that's all I know, and it sounds like it's chapters were written in quantity, not quality. But hey, practicing writing for fun with characters you enjoy isn't so bad

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I've read a few before on fanfiction.net but that was ages ago. I also don't know if it really counts but I did make a "Chatroom Series" (if anyone remembers what those are) of the swordsman on youtube during the Brawl era.

Last edited:

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
Fanfiction is something I tend to avoid. Becaus, well, they are pretty boring IMO. Especially romantic stuffs.

Sure, I can get funny idéas like "what if that happend instead" or something like that moments in my head and try to make a scene of it in my head. But it's also where they will stay, in my head, forever.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Yes, I've both written a few and have read many. There are plenty of complaints I have though, about the characters' personalities in particular that seem to be a common practice.

Why is Samus always some hot-headed, impatient, and ill-tempered bombshell? Especially when she's paired with Link, who is either ultra dense or the most mellow person in existence. Mario is the "I've-seen-it-all" veteran who has an answer for everything, Toon Link, the PK boys, and the Climbers are the "prankster children," and why does everyone treat Marth as the most effeminate man that puts even the most "blonde-ified" versions of Peach to shame?

Some are great and are rather unique, but almost all of them follow the same blueprint everytime.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know there's this one guy, Aurachannelerchris or something, that wrote the longest piece of fanfiction (or fiction in general ever published?) ever, a Smash Bros. fanfiction or something. But that's all I know, and it sounds like it's chapters were written in quantity, not quality. But hey, practicing writing for fun with characters you enjoy isn't so bad
Actually, that fanfic is literally the longest piece of writing ever conceived.

And it's still going.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Actually, that fanfic is literally the longest piece of writing ever conceived.

And it's still going.
It's really that long? Holy crap.

I bet the writing quality really improves over the course of the fanfic, given how long it's been going, but that won't really help people who actually try to start reading since they'll still have to start from the beginning in order to understand the story. I tried to start reading it once and gave up because the writing in the early chapters was poor on all accounts: spelling and grammar, characterization, and plot.

RJBlazer

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Just so you guys are aware, you can also read SmashTales: The Aura Within on Archive on Our Own and Deviantart. I'm also interested in your opinions of my fanfiction so far.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's really that long? Holy crap.

I bet the writing quality really improves over the course of the fanfic, given how long it's been going, but that won't really help people who actually try to start reading since they'll still have to start from the beginning in order to understand the story. I tried to start reading it once and gave up because the writing in the early chapters was poor on all accounts: spelling and grammar, characterization, and plot.
If it's not the longest piece of literature ever written, it's definitely damn close. Over 3.5 million words and counting last I heard (which was May).

I don't know about the writing quality as I never really read it but apparently it does have a following and people do like it.

-----------------

As far as Smash Bros fanfics go I haven't really ever read any. I don't read fanfics in general (only occasionally, out of morbid curiosity or to make fun of with friends), and TBH I would reckon it's hard to find good ones of Smash Bros, considering who makes up the fanbase. I do recall running into one I liked on Tumblr though. It was a Rosalina and Meta Knight one, from Meta Knight's POV. It used the typical scenario of "Smash 4 is a tournament and the characters live in some sort of premises nearby the arena while the tournament is ongoing", and I believe it was part of a series of "character pair-ups/rivalries". This one was basically just Rosalina and Meta Knight having a bro to bro (or mama to bro?) conversation, talking about the stars, their own lives, the tournament. This all being a night before they were set to face each other. Both characters seemed well enough in character (mostly Meta Knight - they made Rosalina a bit too timid though, IIRC, though I could be remembering incorrectly), and Meta Knight seemed to be a nice blend of his game personality and anime personality, which I liked. Meta Knight ends up venting some insecurities regarding Kirby to Rosalina, since he's sort of supposed to be a father figure to him in this fanfic series (which he basically was in the anime), and Rosalina reassures him that Kirby will do fine, and that as long as you have faith in your child and do your best to raise them right, then they are bound to do you proud. Also Meta Knight's opinion of Rosalina changes over the course of the story. It starts with Meta Knight just kinda brushing her off and only talking to her out of politeness, and he assumes she's just some princess or whatever, until she starts departing her wisdom and realising she's not a princess (I thought that was a funny reference to the fandom) and then he starts feeling a powerful energy from her or something. By the end of it, he's just excited to fight her the next day, as he'd rather fight a worthy friend than someone he despises. It then skipped ahead a bit to the match in which Rosalina wins, though I recall that section literally just being the last paragraph.

As far as writing my own goes, I've written two non-Smash Bros fanfictions before, but that was years ago and I am embarrassed by them (one of them was written for someone though in order to cheer them up). I suppose I could write a good Smash Bros one if I wanted to, and I do have two ideas. One involving Rosalina and Mewtwo, and another involving Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. But I dunno, I likely won't ever bother.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
As far as Smash Bros fanfics go I haven't really ever read any. I don't read fanfics in general (only occasionally, out of morbid curiosity or to make fun of with friends), and TBH I would reckon it's hard to find good ones of Smash Bros, considering who makes up the fanbase.
Yeah, good Smash Bros. fanfics seem to be particularly rare from what I've seen. Though at least it doesn't end up with 18 billion high school AUs like Pokémon does. (That said, I have seen high school AUs for Smash. No, I have absolutely no idea why you would want to write that.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, good Smash Bros. fanfics seem to be particularly rare from what I've seen. Though at least it doesn't end up with 18 billion high school AUs like Pokémon does. (That said, I have seen high school AUs for Smash. No, I have absolutely no idea why you would want to write that.)
Eh, high school ones could work for some of the younger characters I guess, if you went for comedy.

I'm picturing Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, and Villager as junior high students. Then maybe Peach as a Home Ec teacher. Rosalina teaching astronomy. Zelda teaching history. Mario teaching P.E. Marth as an extra curricular fencing instructor. Ganondorf as a grumpy Maths teacher for no apparent reason.

It could work if you went for the right tone I guess. I also think something Assassination Classroom-esque could work for a Smash high school AU. :p

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The fact that it's also a self insert says a lot about Fanfiction in general.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
The fact that it's also a self insert says a lot about Fanfiction in general.
I don't always have a problem with self-inserts if they're done well, but Smash Bros. isn't conducive to self-inserts… or at least, it wasn't until Mii Fighters became a thing. Now you could probably get away with it by giving yourself a Mii Fighter moveset.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
There was a brief moment. Brief. Where i wanted to make a little webcomic with smash brothers stuff. But people got kinda iffy since its copyrighted material and I couldn't make money off it xD Hey, just being honest here. But maybe one day if im inspired enough it will come to materialize...with maybe a better plot idea rather just subspace emissary with some additions. Was never sure if dialouge should be a thing... Kinda lame but i love this game.
image.jpg image.jpg some test illustrations done for it using smash 4 models as strong reference for everyone, plus colors.

Top Bottom