• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
So, I'm 99% positive that majority of you guys have played FFA, or Free For All battles(For Fun) at some point. Have players ever teamed up on you before? Have you went up against players where all they would do is stall and camp during the entire battle, only to win despite not doing anything?

I never even experienced this until today. It was pretty awful, lol. It started off with me going up against a really good Mario. I lost a few battles; losing sucks, but I'm okay with losing. It's just a game, after all. After those two battles, two more players came along. They were the stalling types like I've mentioned before. So the third battle starts with the Mario going after no one but me. If I tried going up against the other two players, they would camp me out and gang up on me. For quite a few battles, everyone began to stall, and whenever I approached them, they would team up.

Fast forward to the third to last battle; the Mario player left, thank goodness. He was part of the reason why I couldn't get any decent hits or kills on anyone (that and the input lag). I'm left with the two other stalling players. They teamed up on me again, and next battle, I planned to play the stalling game with them. It was stupid, and boring but it was the only way I could not actually get in last place. So many sudden deaths happened during all of this.

Finally after a crap ton of battles, I actually won; it all started on the Elite Four stage. I switched from Roy to Villager, hoping that a ranged character could do the trick. Anyway, stalling shenanigans still happened, but I managed to break the monotony a little by shooting Loids and spacing. I got lucky when I found a Pokeball in the middle of the fight; it had a Darkrai. Darkrai did his thing, the players fell asleep, and I got them with my Tree with like fifteen seconds on the clock. The match ended with me winning, and the two players salty. They both left, and one of them even called me a "mother effer" upon leaving. It was pretty hilarious.

Online is a painful experience. The only reason why I even play online is because none of my friends are into Smash like I am. Fortunately, I live near a few top players as well as a few local tournaments. However, tournaments only occur once every two weeks, so I have to play online sometimes. <.<

TL;DR: Got into a set of frustrating matches where all people did was stall and go after me. Never had went through this until today.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Hence why I tend to avoid FFA because you always get those kind of people.

Everyone plays to win to a certain extent but it's people like that who ruin the fun for everyone.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hence why I tend to avoid FFA because you always get those kind of people.

Everyone plays to win to a certain extent but it's people like that who ruin the fun for everyone.
It's weird, because I've never bumped into stuff like this in FFA before until today. Thanks!

link2702

Smash Champion
The last group who tried all got beat by me, I reported each of them and let em all know I reported

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
The last group who tried all got beat by me, I reported each of them and let em all know I reported
Eh, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a reporter type. Usually they leave by the time I'm done with the battle anyway. I'm a fight and run player. I pick fights, stay for a bit and run. :3

KirbCider

Smash Ace
By the sounds of it you encountered Taunt Party-ers. If you attempt to fight during these matches all of them, or one player will attempt to go after you the entire time until you leave. It happens a lot in Free for All and sadly there's not much you can do about it.

You either attempt to join them, attempt to beat all of them, or simply find another room that hopefully doesn't have that going on.

You can report them sure; however I don't believe it will do any good at all. You can spend most of your time reporting these kinds of players but you will only run into more Taunt Parties, then even more after that. If you want to avoid this experience then your best bet is playing For Glory Free for All or avoid that mode altogether. It sucks, but it happens and not much you can do to change it.

Last edited:

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
I thought you got banned if u teamed up on 1 person in a FFA, it seems for me even if i combo them slightly I get banned lol so I just stop FG FFA'S

link2702

Smash Champion
Eh, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a reporter type. Usually they leave by the time I'm done with the battle anyway. I'm a fight and run player. I pick fights, stay for a bit and run. :3
if you don't report em they'll just keep coming back. In fact sakurai added the report function in part to try and stop taunt parties, even directly saying so the day he revealed the function.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
By the sounds of it you encountered Taunt Party-ers. If you attempt to fight during these matches all of them, or one player will attempt to go after you the entire time until you leave. It happens a lot in Free for All and sadly there's not much you can do about it.

You either attempt to join them, attempt to beat all of them, or simply find another room that hopefully doesn't have that going on.

You can report them sure; however I don't believe it will do any good at all. You can spend most of your time reporting these kinds of players but you will only run into more Taunt Parties, then even more after that. If you want to avoid this experience then your best bet is playing For Glory Free for All or avoid that mode altogether. It sucks, but it happens and not much you can do to change it.
Ah, so that's what it is. I've heard of stuff like this, but I don't think I've ever bumped into them until yesterday. That sucks. I don't bother reporting them anyway, because I'm not really into reporting. Is there even any idea why taunt parties happen? Are they just excuses for people to act like complete jerks?

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Ah, so that's what it is. I've heard of stuff like this, but I don't think I've ever bumped into them until yesterday. That sucks. I don't bother reporting them anyway, because I'm not really into reporting. Is there even any idea why taunt parties happen? Are they just excuses for people to act like complete jerks?
Taunt parties existed in brawl's wifi, so the likelihood of them coming to smash 4 was likely. Usually if they encounter a superior player in their midst, they'll align themselves with that player as if to say i'll protect you, i've had it happen to me plenty of times in FG FFA on 3ds

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Is there even any idea why taunt parties happen? Are they just excuses for people to act like complete jerks?
It started out on Brawls Online Mode I believe. It's been a thing since then and doesn't seem like it's going to stop no matter what happens. As to why exactly it started or became a thing I do not know, but people do it and there's no avoiding it. Personally Taunt Parties don't bother me too much. Sometimes they can be fun with the right people (ever tried 4-Way Hot Potato with Villager and their trees? Pretty funny), but in a lot of cases yes people do just kinda sit there which makes it beyond boring and not worth it.

What I've found nuts about the whole thing though is not that it's a thing, but how so many will take offense to you interrupting it.

After being in quite a few I've seen how some like to deal with those kinds of players. Not only will they try to Tag Team but will also stoop to throwing insults at you for it and sometimes the insults are way overboard. It's almost as if you ran over their puppy.

I've even heard of people actually reporting those who interrupt Taunt Parties as well, which is also pretty stupid and overboard.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Taunt parties existed in brawl's wifi, so the likelihood of them coming to smash 4 was likely. Usually if they encounter a superior player in their midst, they'll align themselves with that player as if to say i'll protect you, i've had it happen to me plenty of times in FG FFA on 3ds
Really? I mean there was a pretty good Mario in the match. All he did was go after me. The other two players were no jokes either. It may have to do with my input lag, but they all cheaped me out whenever I bothered to attack them single handedly. Like, I swear I managed to hit one person's Zelda, but she managed to move and react much quickly than I could. It really had to do with either the input lag, my inability to play, or both.

EDIT: Nvm, I see what you mean. That's pretty cheap, I mean I think that if I had enough battles (and if items weren't around) I could have beaten him, but the two other players made that much harder for me. It sure sucks being a mediocre player online, lol.

It started out on Brawls Online Mode I believe. It's been a thing since then and doesn't seem like it's going to stop no matter what happens. As to why exactly it started or became a thing I do not know, but people do it and there's no avoiding it. Personally Taunt Parties don't bother me too much. Sometimes they can be fun with the right people (ever tried 4-Way Hot Potato with Villager and their trees? Pretty funny), but in a lot of cases yes people do just kinda sit there which makes it beyond boring and not worth it.

What I've found nuts about the whole thing though is not that it's a thing, but how so many will take offense to you interrupting it.

After being in quite a few I've seen how some like to deal with those kinds of players. Not only will they try to Tag Team but will also stoop to throwing insults at you for it and sometimes the insults are way overboard. It's almost as if you ran over their puppy.

I've even heard of people actually reporting those who interrupt Taunt Parties as well, which is also pretty stupid and overboard.
Ah, like I said, I've never encountered one before until recently. It took me a few battles for me to realize that interrupting a taunt party would lead to me being ganged up on. That's pretty lame. It's too bad though; the only other way I can play with other people is through the Internet, so I have no choice but to sit with people who don't want to even play the game properly. :B

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Taunt parties are really fun. I don't get why some people hate it. There's the Smash mode in For Glory if you don't want to bother with taunt parties.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Taunt parties are really fun. I don't get why some people hate it. There's the Smash mode in For Glory if you don't want to bother with taunt parties.
When I play Smash, I expect people to play the game, not taunt around. I don't play FG because I thought the FFA community was slightly better. Guess like I was wrong on that part. I mean, if you like it that's fine, but I'm not a fan, personally. This is especially because of the negative experience I've gotten from it. Taunt parties have left a bad taste in my mouth. :B

Last edited:
Top Bottom