• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone else noticed this about computer opponents?

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if there's any way to adjust this, but when I fight in a multiplayer match against the CPU, level 1 opponents are pretty relentless. They fight as though their setting is level 7. I can defeat them, but it's the very fact that the level displayed for them isn't the level to which they are fighting.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
I'm not sure if there's any way to adjust this, but when I fight in a multiplayer match against the CPU, level 1 opponents are pretty relentless. They fight as though their setting is level 7. I can defeat them, but it's the very fact that the level displayed for them isn't the level to which they are fighting.
Really? For me lvl 1 rarely even attacks..

Ive noticed how i get bodied by lvl 9 zeldas more than id like to admit >_<

Mean Green

Smash Lord
If your CPU opponent was named Fox or Falco then yes, those 2 have new AI, courtesy of KingClubber. Even the level 1's are stronger, but just those 2 (I think he also said something about Luigi but I'm not sure).

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Even if they do have a new AI, they shouldn't be so offensive at level 1. If I feel like having a light battle, Project M seemed to miss that bit of info when setting a low CPU level.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Even if they do have a new AI, they shouldn't be so offensive at level 1. If I feel like having a light battle, Project M seemed to miss that bit of info when setting a low CPU level.
Can't you appreciate it at all? 1 person alone worked hard on the AI, and didn't even have to do it.
And lol. There's 39 other normal-AI characters to choose from. Anyway Snake and Ike are terrible, they make good punching bags if that's the challenge you want.

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Can't you appreciate it at all? 1 person alone worked hard on the AI, and didn't even have to do it.
And lol. There's 39 other normal-AI characters to choose from. Anyway Snake and Ike are terrible, they make good punching bags if that's the challenge you want.
Actually, it isn't just those few characters that are advanced, it's all the characters.

Someone else said that they don't have this problem when they play; others have claimed that when they play as Kirby and they use Copy, they end up killing that enemy whose power they copied and then Kirby ends up losing their power—this doesn't apply in my game.

I'm thinking that there's some kind of bug that affects each copy of the game differently. Maybe it'll be fixed soon. Oh well.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Thanks for the Tag @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword

Okay first things first, is there a difference between reaction times with cpu when difficultly levels are changed?

....Yes, and no. The level of the cpu had very few differences. Cpu's level 1-3 only walk, and will never run. Nana on the the other hand can run, why? No idea. Level's 4-9 can both walk and run. The difference per level on the other hand is quite different.

The level of a cpu read the ai script at different frame rates.

lvl.1 -2 frames
lvl.2 -1 frames
lvl.3 reads 0 frames faster
lvl.4 +1 frames
lvl.5 +2 frames
lvl.6 +3 frames
lvl.7 +4 frames
lvl.8 +5 frames
lvl.9 +6 frames

There is also level specific ai script written that make the cpu's react differently, faster, or slower. For example most brawl ai have two routines they follow when they're recovering back to the stage if set to high or low. If set to low the will aim to land on the stage, if set to low they will aim to get to the ledge but since brawl ledge mechanics magnetize them to the ledge you also always see them grab the ledge.

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Even with all these explanations, what I've been seeing in the game is nothing but level 1 opponents attacking like real people controlling them. They aren't just moving at different frames, they are intelligent and attacking constantly and with advanced strategy.

Narpas_sword

Even with all these explanations, what I've been seeing in the game is nothing but level 1 opponents attacking like real people controlling them. They aren't just moving at different frames, they are intelligent and attacking constantly and with advanced strategy.
They're not intelligent (despite what A I stands for)
They have pre programmed reactions and moves. the higher levels will pull these off faster (react faster).

Kingclubber is the guy that makes the AI for PM btw, he's right =)

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Really!? You are, KingClubber? I apologize if I sounded offensive. I was just pointing out some things I noticed. I'm not to be a jerk online, so if I sounded like one, again, I apologize.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
It is indeed harder at level 1. I wonder if the level 1 AI could just be given an even lower frequency of actions to compensate. I sometimes practice combos on CPUs, and it's annoying when they fight back.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
In training mode, when set to "Run," Fox SHFFL's in place (throwing in Shines and lasers) if you stay away from him.
Is this specifically tied to the Versus AI? Would it be possible to make Falco SHL in place, for Powershield practice?

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Thanks for the Tag @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword

Okay first things first, is there a difference between reaction times with cpu when difficultly levels are changed?

....Yes, and no. The level of the cpu had very few differences. Cpu's level 1-3 only walk, and will never run. Nana on the the other hand can run, why? No idea. Level's 4-9 can both walk and run. The difference per level on the other hand is quite different.

The level of a cpu read the ai script at different frame rates.

lvl.1 -2 frames
lvl.2 -1 frames
lvl.3 reads 0 frames faster
lvl.4 +1 frames
lvl.5 +2 frames
lvl.6 +3 frames
lvl.7 +4 frames
lvl.8 +5 frames
lvl.9 +6 frames

There is also level specific ai script written that make the cpu's react differently, faster, or slower. For example most brawl ai have two routines they follow when they're recovering back to the stage if set to high or low. If set to low the will aim to land on the stage, if set to low they will aim to get to the ledge but since brawl ledge mechanics magnetize them to the ledge you also always see them grab the ledge.
So if lvl9 CPU's have + 6 frames can you make a level 10 with + 7 frames and so on? Or is the game limited to only 9lvls?

I think it woul be really cool to have a really insane hard CPU to fight against that can read +10 frames ahead!

Btw thank you so much for the Fox and Falco AI they are very fun to play against. Can't wait to see more unique AIs

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
So if lvl9 CPU's have + 6 frames can you make a level 10 with + 7 frames and so on? Or is the game limited to only 9lvls?

I think it woul be really cool to have a really insane hard CPU to fight against that can read +10 frames ahead!

Btw thank you so much for the Fox and Falco AI they are very fun to play against. Can't wait to see more unique AIs
It is possible but i won't be doing level 10 cpu's, if it were up to me and i had the skill there would only be only 1 difficulty "TAS Level CPU's" but people whine and cry about cpu's always hitting them even at level 1, perfect shielding and random DI. So I aim to please not only them, but also myself. Thus you will get in the future (Not saying next update)

Level
1-3 Beginner's Never Played the game cpu's ( I don't care for these level's cause they only walk anyways)
4-6 Intermediate Knows how to play but wants the bare minimum challenge (Waste of my time and efforts but people want this)
7 Campy Cpu
8 Aggro Cpu
9 AI version of the Best known player at the time Cpu

What i wanted to do was make 4-9 to be different known players of a character for each level

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
Level 9 ai hardly stand a challenge for me, it would be nice having harder near impossible ai.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Tbh the fox ai is great and made me way better ar the matchup so keep it up

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
Tbh the fox ai is great and made me way better ar the matchup so keep it up
I don't know if its just me but some times even level nines seem like they just stand around. Like some times i totally get it handed to me by fox or falco then next stock they just sandbag.

Top Bottom