• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harshly Criticize my Kirby

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
I noticed a couple of things: 1 is that you approach with d air way too much and it was really predictable try fast fall nair or dash grab more 2 is when you acually got in you didnt follow up very well and kinda backed out meaning you had to approach again (which we all know is hard for kirby) 3 is not any up tilts which (especially against ganon) rack up a ton of damage and a lot of follow up potential 4 is not any d tilts which since they have a high tripping potential can lead into a free grab or f smash if they roll torwards you 5 (last thing) is randomly charging smashes (which i tend to do too) this leaves you really vulnerable and rarely lands and stales the move. also when a pikachu goes off stage and uses down b try and d air him.
Edit: also try and take pikas power it will help you approach easier

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I noticed a couple of things: 1 is that you approach with d air way too much and it was really predictable try fast fall nair or dash grab more 2 is when you acually got in you didnt follow up very well and kinda backed out meaning you had to approach again (which we all know is hard for kirby) 3 is not any up tilts which (especially against ganon) rack up a ton of damage and a lot of follow up potential 4 is not any d tilts which since they have a high tripping potential can lead into a free grab or f smash if they roll torwards you 5 (last thing) is randomly charging smashes (which i tend to do too) this leaves you really vulnerable and rarely lands and stales the move. also when a pikachu goes off stage and uses down b try and d air him.
Edit: also try and take pikas power it will help you approach easier
Thanks for the advice, man! I'll practice using my utilt and dtilt more often. I've been practicing dair -> utilt -> inhale, but I didn't think of that first match. It also hurts that the Pikachu was kicking my ass back and forth. I really wanted the ability, but wasn't confident enough to grab it.

I have some practicing to do...

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
yeah pikachu isnt the best match up for us and you dont see them that often so its pretty rough

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I only watched the first Pikachu set - Twitch is derping on me, sorry. I'm just curious, why did you counterpick Final Destination against Pikachu? I personally think that stage is awful for Kirby, since he can't get away from camping at all and approaching without platforms to help Kirby is nigh impossible.

Aside from that, as Nickname mentioned, needs more Up Tilts and Down Tilts. You're definitely very good at playing patiently, but I think you should practice your punish game a bit more. You weren't really getting very many good punishes while baiting out the Pikachu, but I really like where your playstyle is going. Ignore the commentator, take as much time as you need to calm down midmatch and plan your comeback. For whatever reason people are afraid of going in on Kirby like that. If they do decide to go in, a very good counter to that is poking with Forward Airs and Back Airs... maybe Neutral Air. I don't use it for poking so I'm not sure.

I don't think you should Smash attack less, per se, but instead of taking a risk, try for a read - when Pikachu Quick Attacks, throw out a Smash and see if it hits, for example. If not, you should be safe by the time the move is over. Just don't do it often because you don't want stale Smashes. Tilts also work here and are much, much safer.

If you do Down Air, make sure you land behind your opponent - it doesn't make it safe, but it's definitely harder to punish that way. It goes all the way back to Smash 64, so you know. =P

I like the direction your Kirby is going, it just needs some fine tuning, is all. Keep up the good work~
(oh and of course take these statements with a grain of salt, the above is based off of how I play and you don't have to listen to everything I say <_<)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I only watched the first Pikachu set - Twitch is derping on me, sorry. I'm just curious, why did you counterpick Final Destination against Pikachu? I personally think that stage is awful for Kirby, since he can't get away from camping at all and approaching without platforms to help Kirby is nigh impossible.

Aside from that, as Nickname mentioned, needs more Up Tilts and Down Tilts. You're definitely very good at playing patiently, but I think you should practice your punish game a bit more. You weren't really getting very many good punishes while baiting out the Pikachu, but I really like where your playstyle is going. Ignore the commentator, take as much time as you need to calm down midmatch and plan your comeback. For whatever reason people are afraid of going in on Kirby like that. If they do decide to go in, a very good counter to that is poking with Forward Airs and Back Airs... maybe Neutral Air. I don't use it for poking so I'm not sure.

I don't think you should Smash attack less, per se, but instead of taking a risk, try for a read - when Pikachu Quick Attacks, throw out a Smash and see if it hits, for example. If not, you should be safe by the time the move is over. Just don't do it often because you don't want stale Smashes. Tilts also work here and are much, much safer.

If you do Down Air, make sure you land behind your opponent - it doesn't make it safe, but it's definitely harder to punish that way. It goes all the way back to Smash 64, so you know. =P

I like the direction your Kirby is going, it just needs some fine tuning, is all. Keep up the good work~
(oh and of course take these statements with a grain of salt, the above is based off of how I play and you don't have to listen to everything I say <_<)
Thank you!

Yeah, I know Final Destination was a terrible idea. But he had the presence of mind to ban Battlefield and Delfino, and my actual words at that point were "**** it, where do you wanna go?" I resigned myself to the loss after the first match, which... not the best thing to do... but still. :/

Imber

Smash Cadet
Like other people said, you need to mix up your approaches. If all you do is jump above people and down air, you might as well just spam stone, since either way you are just asking to be grabbed.

I know you are aware of your rolling habit but the main problem in this case isn't really that you are being punished for it, but when you roll that much it kills your spacing and makes it almost impossible to punish even large openings. Try to make more use of other defensive options like shield, spot dodge, and just plain moving out of the way. Also, don't forget to duck, which can avoid tons of projectiles, certain grabs and even smash attacks. By using these kind of options you can avoid damage while still being within range to counter attack.

Other than that I guess I would say to work on your recovery a little bit. Obviously you had a couple SDs which didn't help your chances so practice sweet spotting the ledge with final cutter from different places offstage. I noticed you often recover to the top of the stage with final cutter to try to hit your opponent which can work sometimes but just know it is punishable. Most of the time, if you can make it to the ledge without using final cutter you should do it because it's one of the more predictable and punishable recoveries in the game and a smart opponent will take advantage of that.

Hope this helps.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Like other people said, you need to mix up your approaches. If all you do is jump above people and down air, you might as well just spam stone, since either way you are just asking to be grabbed.

I know you are aware of your rolling habit but the main problem in this case isn't really that you are being punished for it, but when you roll that much it kills your spacing and makes it almost impossible to punish even large openings. Try to make more use of other defensive options like shield, spot dodge, and just plain moving out of the way. Also, don't forget to duck, which can avoid tons of projectiles, certain grabs and even smash attacks. By using these kind of options you can avoid damage while still being within range to counter attack.

Other than that I guess I would say to work on your recovery a little bit. Obviously you had a couple SDs which didn't help your chances so practice sweet spotting the ledge with final cutter from different places offstage. I noticed you often recover to the top of the stage with final cutter to try to hit your opponent which can work sometimes but just know it is punishable. Most of the time, if you can make it to the ledge without using final cutter you should do it because it's one of the more predictable and punishable recoveries in the game and a smart opponent will take advantage of that.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I should practice with FC a little more, understand why I fall.

I didn't think about the spacing thing... And I suppose I could mix up the approach some more, and learn to use other defensive options.

Top Bottom