• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest/Easiest characters to use in Project M

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Hardest: :olimar::lucario::snake::lucas::popo::fox::pikachu2::falcon::squirtle:
Easiest: :marth::sheik::mario2:

Explanations for Hardest Characters:

I consider Olimar difficult because his pikman management and RNG that is involved with that character in addition to learning how different characters are combed based on what pikman you have, what throws combo into what based on pikman, and overall matchups stands to make him one of the hardest characters in the game.

Lucario is difficult in the sense that he is unusual for a smash game and feels like he was taken straight from Street Fighter or MvC. As such he can be difficult in the sense that it requires learning his specific cancels and combos in more of a traditional fighting game sense rather than a Smash sense which can seem difficult to those not familiar with traditional fighters in general.

Lucas and his ATs are one of the most difficult to master in all of PM and have some of the biggest payoffs in PM much like Fox did in Melee. He is very difficult to pick up and play on a competitive level immediately but he can be dangerous in the hands of someone very skilled with him, as it should be based on the design goals of PM.

Snake is also a different character because much like Lucario, is a character that does not play like a Smash character at all. General concepts like stage control apply to Snake but in a very different way. Mine management, B reversing Grenades/Tranqs/Sticks, C4 Placement, and Grenade management are all vital to the character wining the match let alone being competitive. Snake plays a very cerebral game of smash that is not so much taxing on the fingers as say Lucas, but more taxing on the mind.

Squirte has his own specific brand of technology called shell shifting which is merely scratching the surface of the amount of technical mastery required to play that character. The only other character that has specific technology like that (Fox) is also included on this list.

Pikachu has a lot of difficult movement tricks and quirks that are not as difficult as say Lucas but can be a stumbling block for many people who are new to the series or competitive scene.

Falcon, Fox, and ICs are hard in their own respects but for the sake of brevity I will simply refer you to their Melee character discussions (Although IC's probably don't apply as much to that in PM) to give you an idea of how difficult those characters can be.

Explanation for easiest characters:
The easiest characters have a number of things in common:
-Flow chart combos
-Low technical floor
-Can pick up an play easily and be competitive right of the bat
-Elevating your play requires a greater understanding of fundamentals rather than technical mastery

Because of this I believe that Shiek, Marth, and Mario are one of the easiest characters to pick up and play right away and be good. At higher levels however, technical mastery will be required to win consistently with these characters just because they are easy does not guarantee that they will win.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Game & Watch is surprisingly easy to use, his recovery is really easy to master for beginners. All you need is down-b and up-b, really. As a plus, down-b absorbs most projectiles, which is very useful for protecting yourself from people who try to push you off stage.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Olimar isn't hard, he just isn't a well made character, ie bad.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Olimar's a bit of an odd case. On a technical level he's pretty easy. He doesn't require too much in the way of precision and he doesn't have too much in the way of character exclusive tech. However he requires a lot of knowledge and awareness to use him effectively (though I guess in that sense what makes him "hard" is the fact that you can't focus your full attention on your opponent as you always need to be paying attention to your own Pikmin). However I don't believe him to be the hardest character in the game. I'd personally rank Lucario as harder to use. Not only do you have the obvious execution barrier that no other character really has, but you also need to constantly deal with the fact that the character is ass in neutral.

Easiest is definitely Mario. At least at a relatively decent competitive level. He's an easy to learn, easy to get good with, hard to master character.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Mario, Marth, Pit, and Zelda are all pretty easy to pick up and play. Link's not too hard either, since he can operate without his flashy technical stuff. Personally, I think Falco's pretty easy to play competently, but in the competitive scene Falco has been played so much that competent isn't good enough because everyone knows how to beat him.

Lucario is definitely one of the hardest to play. Ice Climbers and Fox are up there too.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Pit has one of the highest skill ceilings tho. Arrow looping 4 arrows perfectly at once to help you in your neutral game, combo game, and defensive game is so hard that its considered un-viable in high level play.

Then again, a lot of characters in this game is made to have lower skill floors but moderately high skill ceilings.

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I picked Wario because I was new to the scene (still am pretty new) and while I was initially going through randoms before settling on a main, he felt easiest and fit natural with me. Mario, like others have said, is always a go-to character when starting a new Smash game, because I feel he is also a very natural and basic character.

I also find G&W, Kirby, and ROB to be fairly easy (and lots of fun!). While I play more, though, all the characters are becoming easier and easier to use. So I have found over time that Olimar is pretty simple and fun, Zelda is, too, and Lucario as well.

The hardest to me are the spacies, Fox in particular, because I feel they have the highest learning curve. I don't feel like I'm playing them effectively if I'm not constantly performing AT with them, basically. I also get this feeling like so many spacies are on this level high above me and it would take centuries to catch up. Then I never really practice as them and just get worse and worse, so I am trying to give them a shot a bit more sometimes.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
is fox really that hard to learn for most? i picked up most of the advanced techniques in a short-ish time.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
is fox really that hard to learn for most? i picked up most of the advanced techniques in a short-ish time.
It's the technical ceiling that Fox has and applying the techniques to your play at a competitive level that makes Fox hard. If you instantaneously learned Fox's multishine (3+) tho.... That's another thing entirely. That would be a pretty rare occurrence imo.
Another example is Fox's recovery and edge canceling the side b or being able to pick the best option and always sweet spot firefox etc.

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
i've got most of the tech down but still need practice as i haven't even been playing "competitively" for too long, unfortunately there are no fox mains to help me out that live by me either that i know of :/

Scrubby

Smash Cadet
Ness ain't easy guys with all this djc and magnet shenanigans. Imo he ain't the hardest but he is pretty hard.

1FD

Smash Ace
pika is hardest in melee and probs still hardest in pm
not just fast but the decision making process and eliminating options while being small and option-filled and somehow having major presence and feeling like he's everywhere when he's really not etc
It's a pretty common agreement among multichar smash beasts who bother with working with pika at that smash beast level

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played this as much as I'd like. In a casual setting you can practice with any character you like. What I know of tournaments and high stakes events is you have to know your stuff. Someone is going to master a hard character you might have to play against. If there's a character that's easier to play and has good tournament results, that's a blessing for you to master it.

Top Bottom