• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardcore training regimes

Carnation

Smash Rookie
Regime I used on my lil bro and myself whenever I'm using a new character: fight CPU level 1 5 times. Then CPU lvl 2 5 times and so on. If you lose any fight you have to go all the way back to the beginning. Once the whole thing is completed, you do team battle. You versus a lvl 9 and lvl 1 5 times. Then lvl 9 and lvl 2 and do on. You lose and you start back at the very beginning with single CPUs. Once the team series is won, team with two lvl 9's and an escalated 3rd member of the team.

Anybody else this militaristic in their training?

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know how effective that will be in advancing one's skills, as fighting CPUs can and usually will invoke bad playing habits (excessive rolling, etc.), and CPUs are impossible to mindgame. For what it is though, it sounds pretty fun.

:downs:

Smash Apprentice
Fighting against CPUs is only good for learning characters and their moves, actually fighting against them is a horrible, horrible thing to do.

I play on wifi's with anyone doing 1v3 against taunt parties in the most unfair conditions possible.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
When practicing against the CPU for teams or for singles, it's best to not punish CPU's for doing silly computer mistakes. Just practice spacing, tech, and mix-ups you plan to try out on actual players. Rehearse setups and follow-ups for teams (like what will happen if one of you guys get a grab).Set the stock count to something like 30-99 and just burn through an hour practicing. Also playing level 9's don't really mean much since they don't respond like humans. Try anything from level 3 to 9. You shouldn't really get hit by anything or really die too often, since they're not going to follow up as well as a human would, so really practice DI and backing up your partner. And like always, watch many videos for ideas.

Carnation

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help. Also one thing that I learned is that a lot of real life fighting concepts can be changed around a bit to apply to the game. The Book of Five Rings contains fighting philosophies that I have added to my overall fighting style for example. Also any boxer will tell you always keep em up (keep your shield up as much as possible.)

:phone:

Top Bottom