• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hard matchup

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
what is some match up that consider hard for ike? so far i heard snake is hard, but who else?
hihi, welcome to the Ike boards...

I don't find snake hard, Ike can close the distance and massacre snake, Ike has more killing moves then any character, so if he can outspeed his opponent it won't be easy to keep him off the edge.

marth definetly poses a threat, the falchion's reach is only a couple pixels smaller then ragnell's, but can pull out attack twice as fast. Most of Ike's aerials are over prioritized by most of marth, namely marth's Uair.

Peach's turnip spamming, controllable recovery, and Fsmash from hell make Quick draw useless, and pretty much force him to star KO her with eruption or take her into 110+for a side KO.

any reason you ask this question?

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Falco, Wolf, and Fox are tough because they can close the distance pretty quick and combo you to hell if they know what they're doing. Also, I didn't find snake hard, but then again I've never faced anyone who knew how to play him.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Go through a check list.

1. Does the person force Ike to maneuver in the air? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.
2. Is this person fast? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.
3. Does this person have a projectile? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.
4. Does this person have a move that out ranges the nair? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.
5. Can this person force Ike to attack? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.

I'm hoping to find something solid about this character that makes him more than just a powerhouse destined for obscurity. Working hard on it.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Go through a check list.

1. Does the person force Ike to maneuver in the air? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.
4. Does this person have a move that out ranges the nair? Check? Hard matchup for Ike.

I'm hoping to find something solid about this character that makes him more than just a powerhouse destined for obscurity. Working hard on it.
From what you basically explained, this is Pit in all his glory. But I have to say, every pit I played (even the camping gay ones) I *****. It's really a matter of spacing and adapting.

If anything, a person with a lot of agility at all times is hard for Ike, cause if he misses, he's boned. A good example of this would be pikachu in my opinion, a good marth who doesn't play like his melee self, and maybe metaknight. Metaknight is iffy though, cause since he's so light, and lacks killing moves himself he just gets killed REALLY easily from Ike.

Anyway, that's my input.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
Go through a check list.

this is pit and peach, yet both of them are easily ***** by Ike's jugging sword bash combo from hell. forcing Ike to maneuver in the air isn't very significant,, as he can fall , airdodge, or aether back to tera ferma before peach has a turnip ready, or pit fires off a shot, unless the level is long. Anyone who stop Ike from attacking is bad news, since marth can effectively do that with his haxx0r sword he can be painful. almost every one of meta knights's smashes/recoveries out prioritize Ike's, if he is spamming attacks it's hard to kill the ******* without a star K.O.

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Ike for the last couple days, I say Shiek is a ***** of a matchup. Sonic players who dont suck are annoying. Ike has ALOT of priority hes an amazing character maybe a little to popular for his own good :D!

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I can see smaller, faster characters posing a threat on Ike. It's all about connecting with any of his sword moves and if a smaller character can dodge it, then he'll get beat due to the attack lag.

I don't have much of a problem against Meta Knight, Pit and Fox so far (all human players). But I do have some problems with Diddy and maybe even Pikachu. I guess I could be wrong, since I only got the game recently and haven't fully utilized all of Ike's moves into perfection.

If any matchups are hard, then go for the A combo (jab, kick, slash) and follow with a tilt or a well timed aerial. Ike has so much priority, I think he can only beat himself.

Rangles

Smash Rookie
Wolf with his ridiculous fsmash and projectile spam really put ike in a rough position.

You can only do so many aerial side B's before they adapt and rock you.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
Ike is a horrible matchup against Ike, I've been in two matches where it was two ike with charged up quickdraw's, whoever let go first got quickdraw to the face. Anyone who can properly shield poses a difficulty for Ike, since even the master hand can SEE him coming...

u c wat i did ther?

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
On my part I think iKe Have a matchup problem with fast char-projectile oriented like falco or with char with a greater range like zss or marth since they are faster they can spam long range move easily....

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
On my part I think iKe Have a matchup problem with fast char-projectile oriented like falco or with char with a greater range like zss or marth since they are faster they can spam long range move easily....
Sorry I just spent the past hour or so comparing marth and ike's range. The majority of Ike's moves will hit Marth through his own attacks. Marth has speed, and that's the real factor to take into account vs. another player, because if they both SWING (note: not "attack") at the same time, Ike will out prioritize and if he spaced decently, out range marth completely. I haven't tested this if Ike is just in the range for tippers though, so that's still up in the air.

Fanboysareevil

Smash Rookie
Well, I think you're wrong about Snake, I'm pretty sure it's just that he is so unorthodox so no one knows how to fight him yet. Marth for sure simply because Marth is broken to hell period. I was thinking Wolf but I realized his only projectile travels slow enough to be countered consistently, and no one wants to spend too much time in your face if you're Ike.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
RAR doesnt really work against smaller charicters likepikachu. So i compensated by using my dair instead. I also try to get in close so theyll have to doge more of me blade. When they try to be all speedy and run at me ill use my fair or dair. or my aaa.....hm i just realised ikes my main. howd that happen?

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Against smaller characters it is best to short hop fast fall a Nair... little lag.. gets them off... and you can grab them almost immediately considering that you didn't land with them to your back.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Snake, Wolf and Rob(if he gets you off the ledge, your *** is dead due to the 1,000 fairs that seem to follow). I'm sure there are a few, but those are the main ones I've run into so far.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For those saying "I think you are wrong about Snake" please stop. Snake can set up camp and throw 'nades at you all day. Meanwhile Ike is slow and doesn't have projectiles. If the Snake plays his cards right you will be at an incredible disadvantage most of the fight, as you have to fight your way through his mine field and explosives.

Unsmarty

Smash Rookie
As for a "difficult matchup" I'd say thats any character who has a faster MS and is able to close distance quickly.

But when you really get down to it it's all about how you and your opponent play your respective characters.

Hinote

Smash Cadet
Wolf is generally a hard match-up. He can spike easily, has great smashes, is quick and has one annoying laser. I think the same could apply to all of the Spacies, but I'm not sure.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Wario.

Wario is. First of all the only move you can ****ing get off on him is back air and short jump down smash. My brother is a Wario player and he just ****ing runs jumps then does forward a and then DIs back. When you try to shield grab you just get gripped by his air grab. Also when Warios coming back from a recovery hes always 100000 feet above you so you can forward smash or up smash. Also when your coming down from a jump or something and try to down smash he just up smashes and his up smash has a higher priority then all of Ikes moves from what I know. Wario is the only person I have had real trouble with. Wario=Giga Jiggs.

D

Deleted member

Go through a check list.

Toon Link.

Ike's anti-thesis :(.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I just played a Toon Link recently actually, and if he camps it's really gay for ike. It was a close match ending with me getting gayed by WiFi lag on FD but... Still it's annoying. I'm thinking without the WiFi lag though, I could've done a LOT better in the match though.

Against a really good T.Link I'm sure it's even harder though so...T.Link is a hard match up when he stays at range.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Ike's biggest problems are as follows; regardless of what anyone will tell you.

DeDeDe / Zelda / Wolf / A GOOD Falco / Marth can be handled easily, he's not a problem.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Ike's biggest problems are as follows; regardless of what anyone will tell you.

DeDeDe / Zelda / Wolf / A GOOD Falco / Marth can be handled easily, he's not a problem.
I will agree with marth being easily handled... just have to chose your moments of attack.... air dodge ... grab... and jab combos. My friends has a really good marth and the battles can go either way every time.

But i also have problems with Toon Link.. and PIKACHU!!!.. who would have thought of that one. I also face a Pit that loves the arrows... so he makes battles a good bit difficult.

PS. How do you get Ike's head at the bottom of you avatar side?

Gindler

Smash Champion
From my experience playing an ike playing friend. A good Yoshi can be a hard match up for the ikester, his egg roll can cancel out just about any of ike's attacks which is a nice improvement from melee, therefore leaving yoshi right in his face ready for a forward smash. and once ike's off the edge and he goes for his forward B recovery all I have to do thanks to yoshi's awesome second jump is get in the way of the recovery, he hits me and falls to his death it's really a great gimpage of Ike's poor recovery move(s).

and the fact that yoshi's an unpredictable character, his fighting style and people's lack of yoshi experience that helps all the more.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah AsI said Every character with good projectile spam like Pika DDD Toon link etc...Can be difficult On FD but if you Make in considaration the stage playing these chacaracter on A stage with platform like battlefield This can be easily doable but still....and as mookie rah said snAke IS a difficult matchup I mean the worst>_> He can Pin you down On a Little part of FD while spamming grenade near the edge...whatever... DDD IS VERY DOABLE if you can predict where and when The Waddle dee throwing attack will be.Then Outrange his grab range with fair at close range DDD Suck so bad since He cant make usefull air attack out of sheild.So the only reason for DDD is this waddle doo throwing.

Fo Marth His Nair and fair come out too fast to be countered If the marth space it correctly 1-you cant sheild grab2-He can stap you with down tilts or an other air or a f smash even if you try to counter him with an air attack Ike is not fast enough Marth can re jump with a fair....so Your best bet is Shield then AAA combo or f tilt maybe a bair can out speed and out range marth's fair but still..

Toon link can be pretty trinky against Ike too with his floatiness and his speedy bair,nair and fair

Top Bottom