• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hard counter to Ganondorf?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've been seeing an increasingly large amount of Ganondorfs online. Some of which are very good. Too good for my other characters in fact. I've noticed that every time this has happened, I'd bring out Jigglypuff on instinct, and it'd be like I was fighting a two-year-old. Which leads me to ask, does Jigglypuff hard-counter Ganondorf? It would make sense, seeing as how one Nair offstage is all it takes to make Ganondorf's stock forfeit.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I play Jigglypuff a lot against a Ganondorf main (it's probably my most-played matchup in the game). My experience with the matchup is that Jigglypuff can shut Ganondorf down handily, unless you get even a little reckless.

She can bully Ganondorf offstage pretty easily, and can also win out the neutral, but it's important to play smart and keep your momentum, because Ganondorf's punishes are brutal and can stack up. You also need to be smart about how you edgeguard, because his up B outprioritizes I think anything you can do offstage, and can even stage spike you if you don't remember to tech.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
That's pretty much my summarization of it. Avoid Ganondorf's deadly punishes, and you're golden.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
What ZeroJanitor said. Just ledge guard and watch out for Side B. Watch out for hits and you're a champion! But seriously... 4 good hits till death... Really? Yeah.. Be careful playing Ganondorf...

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
MU is dead even. Puff can obviously gimp Ganon quite well, but Ganon's Nairs and Uairs make it tough for Puff to approach from the air, and Dtilt beats Puffs grounded options. Both characters have issues with getting in on each other, but destroy each other upon getting in. Customs on Ganon beats Puff because gimps are much less of an issue for Dorf. Definitely not a hard counter at all, just a matter of being smarter, better at spacing, fundamentals, etc. Better player generally comes out on top in this MU from my experience on both sides.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
MU is dead even. Puff can obviously gimp Ganon quite well, but Ganon's Nairs and Uairs make it tough for Puff to approach from the air, and Dtilt beats Puffs grounded options. Both characters have issues with getting in on each other, but destroy each other upon getting in. Customs on Ganon beats Puff because gimps are much less of an issue for Dorf. Definitely not a hard counter at all, just a matter of being smarter, better at spacing, fundamentals, etc. Better player generally comes out on top in this MU from my experience on both sides.
we outprioritize ganon's options, and can camp the ledge and force ganon to approach. If we get a percent lead = GG

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
we outprioritize ganon's options, and can camp the ledge and force ganon to approach. If we get a percent lead = GG
This isn't Brawl. Running away for the whole match is much less viable, regardless of Ganon's weaknesses approaching. Some characters can actually threaten this sort of thing(Sheik, Rosa, Sonic, Villager, Zero Suit) but even then it's nowhere near guaranteed, and the air/ledge aren't as safe as they were in Brawl. All it takes is for Ganon to get a read on you if you're just trying to stall him out indefinitely.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Stalling on the ledge against Ganondorf just invites him to sit outside both your and his ranges. Anyone not awful is going to know (or realize) not to sit at the ledge itself, and you're unconditionally more vulnerable. The whole game is about staying outside each other ranges and catching the other; being at the ledge doesn't really invite any extra options.

Top Bottom