• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#HappyShulksDay ! - What were you doing on this date + Another special thing

D

Deleted member

On August the 29th, 2014, to the day, Shulk, the main protagonist of Xenoblade, known in the West as Xenoblade Chronicles, have been officially confirmed to be a playable character for Super Smash Bros. 4.

Not only Shulk was among one of the best additions to the cast of Smash by his unique gameplay among the other swordsmen like Marth and Link, and by the successful game he comes from, but this reveal was also the announcement of the New 3DS and of the new port of Xenoblade in 3D, making it one member of Nintendo's "Pantheon" of gaming.

As for me, while the ESRB leak spoiled Shulk with Ganondorf and Bowser Jr., it still made my life, as he was my most wished character ever, in front of Robin, Shantae, Palutena, Ridley and such.

But, even more, it accomplished a special part of mine.
Let me tell you :

During the pre-Smash 4 speculation era, from 2010 to 2014, I was the creator and main manager of a Smash Bros. Fan Club on the forum of a french Naruto website called CaptaiNaruto ('cause yeah, I was a fan of Naruto, before it undergoes the decline we all knew after the Pain Arc), and, while it didn't have so many members (roughly 10, with 4 including myself who were regular), I pushed all of my efforts to keep it active, mainly by launching polls about which newcomers the members would like to see playable for each of the most important represented franchises for the next Smash (which were, in order : Metroid, Zelda, Mario & Yoshi, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong and Star Fox), likewise including potential new ones like Last Story's and Pandora's Tower's, but also earlier, Xenoblade's.

(Fun fact : Xenoblade's poll was about which of the 6 Shulk's companions the members would like to see alongside Shulk, and Dunban has won ! :b:)

And so, Shulk has been confirmed, and, as this forum has begun to die with Naruto coming to its end and fans' global disinterest, I adressed my last words to the Fan Club I was dedicating for roughly 4 years, as an hardcore French Smash fan, but also as someone who have made a risky bet which has at long last paid off.

That's why, while this forum isn't passed away yet, I cordially invite you to visit this topic in which we and its former members have been speculating on Shulk before it was cool, especially this page and this one, which are the first and the last page respectively, in order to make all this dedication I made even more acknowledged, and on a more global level !

Sorry if my English might appear to be confusing, but it was dear to my heart. :)

And besides, what were you doing on this day ?

Last edited by a moderator:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I don't even remember what I was doing that day. lol

Well from what I can honestly remember, I knew Shulk as the guy from that Wii game that I have and will never play so I kinda laughed it off. Then I got Smash 4 sometime in December and after the first time I touched Shulk, I knew he was the character that would replace Lucas (now I play both lol). That's when I finally decided to play, and beat Xenoblade Chronicles. Great game.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
First heard of him in cjszero01's top 10 newcomers I want in Smash 4 video.I first viewed it,and thought about his #1(Shulk),"No way,ever."
Cue gematsu,I start to think he could be in.
And then The Leak.I see his render,I took it like the whole leak-with a grain of salt.Video and all.
And then August 29,Shulk was officially confirmed.Loved his trailer,visuals,music,everything.Officially decided to try him out.
And here we are now-The world of Mains(In sig below).I started watching Xenoblade cutscenes and began to like him more and more.And now he's been officially around for a year.There may not have been a MonadoMonday,but it was a Smashing FeelingItFriday.
All the power to the Monado boy.
Welcome to the family,Shulk.Think of the enemy,and the power to defeat them is yours...

D

Deleted member

Two things that sucked before his announcement was:
1. He was leaked, with gameplay footage to boot. That sucked away the surprise.
2. He was on a Japan only stream. We soon saw the English trailer, but I wish that Shulk got the Robin treatment.

Anyways, I didn't think that we would get anyone on that stream... I was skeptical. Still, I wanted to see Shulk get confirmed... he was my most wanted newcomer.
I went back to sleep and I checked the website just in case, and I saw him in all of his glory... Shulk. I got excited, hyped! I know he was leaked, but holy hell! I can't believe it! He is in the same game as other gaming legends and icons!
His trailer was phenomenal too, with the scenario, music, and so much more. He was one of the first characters that I've played and he is still a fun character to this day (I don't main him anymore, but I enjoy bringing him out).

Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game and Shulk is a fantastic character. I am more than happy that he is on the roster.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Shulk is a photoshop Little Mac, I still don't believe it.:troll:
But seriously I can't believe it been that long I still remember what I was doing when he was announce. I was just waking up and then I when to the smash website as i always do every morning to see the pic of the day.and when I saw that banner I was so happy. I never was that happy for a character for my whole life.

Happy Shulk Day Everyone!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I woke up and checked Facebook and basically the first post was Super Smash Bros "Challenger Approaching! Shulk"

then I fanboyed for an hour

then idk

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
On the day that Shulk was first revealed I believe I was watching episode 40 of Chugaaconroy's Xenoblade LP and I hadn't played Xenoblade at that time, but his let's play got me interested in the game. Eventually I was really hoping that Shulk would be revealed as a newcomer. I eventually saw Shulk's reveal trailer and loved it. (I also saw the New 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and own both.)

I'm glad Shulk was added and would like to say, Happy Shulk Day!

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I remember the day Shulk was revealedd was also day my hopes that the leak was fake were crushed and I now had to deal with Lucas being cut. I had a halfhearted hype for the longest time.

I remember watching the trailer before going to school that day because I have to wake up stupid early.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was sleeping, then my brother called from work, waking me up. He asked if I watched the latest video. I said no. He told me to get up and watch it. I did, and kept him on the phone. I kind of already suspected it was Shulk, but seeing the Bionis Leg confirmed that. I laughed a couple times. Wowed some things. It was nice. I would have liked if Shulk had not been leaked prior to me seeing the video, but oh well.

I made a lot of arguments for Shulk before his confirmation, and it was satisfying to see I was right. I'm really feeling it became a meme which misportrays Shulk's true, thoughtful, secular, scientific character, but there is no blame to be had for this. It just is an occurrence that kind of stinks.

I can't remember what I did for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
I played Xenoblade a week before Shulk's confirmation. I was still depressed af from Toad being rejected... again. Before playing Xenoblade, I wanted to main Rosalina because Mario Galaxy was my personal GOAT game. When I found out that Shulk actually made it in Smash, I was like, "OOOOOH **** OH ****." The ****s and ****s I gave were like.... infinite

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I still haven't even played Xenoblade Chronicles. However, I think it's a very good thing that Shulk is in Smash Bros.

Because Nintendo seems incredibly out-of-touch 90% of the time, but when they do care, you get Shulk in Smash Bros., a sequel to your niche masterpiece and a remake of your niche masterpiece.

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
First, here's a quote of me when I first joined this site:
So I've finally decided to join this site and I want to share a brief history with me and SSB.

Before SSB4, I played Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl when these games were released back in those days. The only people I played against were my cousins, so I was a lonely gamer. Mario has been my main as I find him to be overall balanced against most situations, I think.

When SSB4 was first announced...I honestly wasn't interested, but it was a game I would play at some point in the future. In September 2013, I purchased Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) and it became my new favorite game of all time (sorry Tales of Symphonia)! Some time between December 2013 or January 2014 (I don't know), I followed GameXplain's videos about SSB4, but it was not enough to purchase SSB4.

Then everything changed when these events happened: Gematsu Leak (April 2014), Adam Howden's tweet (May 2014), Monolith Soft's "retweet" (July 2014), and finally the August 2014 videos/pictures leaks. All of these had one thing in common: Shulk. And with Shulk's official reveal trailer, I was completely hooked!

But before that, I admit to being a lurker on this site since July 2014. Now, Shulk has been my only main in SSB4, and I've been doing really well online! I've been coming to this site so often that I might as well join here.
One year ago, I woke up and check my Twitter feed as usual, still sleepy. I was following Nintendo, and I saw that "Warning: New Challenger Approaching!" I was surprised a newcomer was revealed on that Japan-only Direct. But, the moment I saw Gaur Plains on the thumbnail, I dismissed my sleepiness completely!

I still remember my first reaction to this:
  • "It's Gaur Plains! Shulk confirmed!"
  • "Back Slash!"
  • "Shulk sounds weird. It is not Adam Howden?"
  • The Vision part and the sword fight
  • "'Now it's Shulk time?!' They referenced it!"
  • "Xenoblade music!"
  • "Jump?! Smash?!"
  • "Riki!"
  • "Shulk jumps like in Xenoblade!"
  • The swimsuit. "What?!"
  • Chain Attack as the Final Smash! "Dunban! Riki! Direct sound clips from them!"
  • "Metal Face as a Stage Boss?!"
After rewatching the video several times, I spend the entire day reading and watching news on this, including the old Shulk social thread! I still main Shulk to this day, even having to deal with his poor frame data. Even up to this point, Shulk is the most fun and rewarding character I ever played in Smash!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I remember being surprised by Metal Face and Gaur Plains. Also, all of Shulk's moves were amazing to see.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What I was doing on this date in 2014:

-Watching Pokemon Diancie Movie with my brothers and sister because they want to get Diancie...
-I check SmashBros website and realized that Shulk was confirmed and proves that the ESRB leak was real. For a person who hate leaks that kills hype, I wasn't happy that Shulk was confirmed.

In 2015:
-Shulk is my main
-Got the game (I guess it was around August that I got Xenoblade Chronicles 3D)
-Love the series

Top Bottom