• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY PAC!

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Today is our day.

I'm not the best artist, but here's what I did today.

What got you into Pac-Man for Smash 4 in the first place?

Place your comments below.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Today is our day.

I'm going to answer this question with a post from the old Rate Their Chances thread from the SSB4 speculation days.

Let me tell you a little story about a boy named James.

When James was an itty-bitty boy of five or six, he was introduced to this mystical contraption called a computer that he had no idea how to use. It bored him at first, since he only really saw boring adult stuff being done on it, but his father, being a man who loved computers and knew practically everything to know about them, wanted to teach his son what he knew about computers. Being a little boy, though, James wasn't interested in being taught how to use a "word", as he felt his vocabulary was more than adequate, and he felt a little sorry for the explorer who got himself stuck inside a net, but failed to understand what he had to do with computers. So he made the offhand comment of wanting to go and play and his father explained to him that this miraculous thing was something to be played with. He was, of course, very confused, but he trusted that his father wasn't a lunatic and that it really could play with him...despite not being able to move. So James waited as patiently as he knew how and eagerly watched his father as he brought down a folder with a bunch of silly looking circles with holes in the center. James assumed these to be treats for the computer that would get it to do tricks or something. (An assumption that seemed more than reasonable when the machine stuck out its tongue and took the treat into its mouth.)

James' father, being a fair bit more understanding of what he was doing, was looking for a game that would entertain our young James. It had to be nonviolent, fairly simple, and still appealing for little James. Pinball would've worked...but it wasn't quite colorful enough to appeal to such a young boy...Golf was definitely out of the question...maybe...no, not that...Then he found it! Should've been perfectly obvious to him, he thought to himself as he put it in.

James' attention was pulled to the start-up screen that he saw which he, despite being unable to read, found interesting because of a certain yellow, happy-faced ball-guy that greeted him and his father with a wink and a thumb's up, seemingly telling them that playtime was beginning. The game started up and James watched, confused, as some odd circles and a person made out of string showed up. His father explained that it was an intro like you'd see on a TV show and that the real thing was starting up. James' attention snapped completely to the oddly-shaped spinning rock that he saw. It looked sort of like something he knew by the name of Saturn, but it looked like a chunk was taken out of the side for some reason. The screen flashed to two brightly-colored ghosts of blue and orange traversing a not-so-brightly-colored landscape. The orange one stops and looks around before having the blue ghost run into him clumsily (James noted that they made a funny clunk-y sound when they bumped into one-another). The screen turned to match the vision of the ghosts and zoomed in. Menacing eyes appeared and the screen showed a close up of an unpleasant-looking creature speaking some evil sounding language. The orange ghost pulled a pretty golden ball out of a brown bag and turned to give it to the creature. He shook as the thing's claws took the artifact from him. The monster looked serious as he said a few more words before closing his hand around the ball. He lifted it up and smashed the golden sphere into the ground, creating a flash.

The screen then changes to look at a sleeping image of the happy yellow ball-guy that he saw before. He snores. Again. Then a light flashed on and off on a television behind him and a sound vaguely like a telephone went off...the ball-guy turned as the sound got faster and faster and the screen of the television blinked on. A similar looking yellow ball-guy with a gray mustache and a funky black hat appeared, seeming flustered. He talked in gibberish but it was obvious that he was upset. The original yellow ball-guy gets up urgently, tightens his orange gloves, and poses toward the screen, ready to take on this obvious predicament.

This game, Pac-Man: Adventures in Time, became one of his, or, rather, my favorites. I asked my parents to buy more Pac-Man games for me and we ended up getting Pac-Man All-Stars and Ms. Pac-Man and the Golden Maze, which became a few of my other favorites. (We also branched out to other classic Namco games, including Dig-Dug and Mappy, to name a few. I was introduced to the original that way and I was terrible at it, but still enjoyed it immensely.) The prized jewel of the games we got, however, was Pac-Man World 2, a game that holds the title of my favorite game of all time even now.

Pac-Man, of course, became an absolute obsession of mine. I bought every piece of smiley face merchandise I could get a hold of since they were the closest thing to Pac-Man merchandise I could find (and they were cute and happy in their own right as well, of course). We even bought the (looking back on it, terrible) Hanna Barbara Pac-Man TV Show and I watched every episode way too many times.

Of course, life went on and James grew up and situations changed. We had to move to the mountains (right after we painted Pac-Man and the Ghosts on my bedroom walls, I might add *grumblegrumble*) and I had to find a new school and new friends and all that. But I still had Pac-Man, so I was still happy and not everything was strange and unusual. And, of course, once I got used to that, my parents divorced and made my life especially difficult...but I still had my Pac-Pillow to rest my head on and my Pac-Man plushie to hold as I slept, so it wasn't so bad in the end.

I have changed, my life has changed, my situations have changed...and I don't deal well with change. I like consistency. Always have. So, in order to survive the inconsistency that I had to deal with, I latched on to one thing in my life that I had control of and never let it go. I made sure I had one thing in life that would always be there. I made sure that I always had something to go to when I needed to escape from the relentlessly changing world. That thing was Pac-Man. I was always going to have him and no one was going to take him away from me. Ever.

So, yeah. You could say that I have a personal connection with Pac-Man and that Pac-Man and I have quite the history together. He's been with me for over two-thirds of my life, after all. I've come to cherish and adore him.

...But it's actually a little more than that too. You see, I was introduced to Super Smash Bros. Melee when I was little as well. It wasn't even close to as early as Pac-Man, but I had played Super Smash Bros. Melee for the first time when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I ended up loving it so much that I got a Gamecube for Christmas the next year with it, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and...Pokemon Channel (which did not compare to those two masterpieces). This was the same time my brother was getting into Pokemon on the DS and I eventually ended up getting one of them so I could play with Pokemon too.

Before long, I was completely and utterly enamored with the worlds of Nintendo.

The chance to have these two incredibly influential series unite with Pac-Man's playable status in the Super Smash Bros. series would be a literal dream come true. This has been a lifelong dream that I never dared hope for...until now.

...You can imagine my reaction when he actually was playable. There was no way I was maining anyone else.

Happy Birthday to Pac-Man, who's gotten me through some rough times, and who I'm happy to know. It may be sappy to say, especially to a video game character, but I really do love him.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Here's my reason:
I have always loved the character ever since I was a 6 year old.
I always had a very active imagination, and absolutely LOVE science, concepts, and abstract theories...but I often felt disconnected with the material world. I suck with details, I forget routine things, and I get unfocused with the things right im front of me. Keep in mind, this was even more severe when I was 6, when I got my first video game, Pac-Man world 2.
See, when I was little, I felt like I was a superhero. I was always very optimistic, and strongly felt that I could change the world for the better with my ideas and my passion of science(I still do lol). So when I popped that game into my Xbox, it was love at first sight. The happy-go-lucky, optimistic attitude of pacman captivated me. It felt like the game was made for me. The lighthearted, imaginative world was a way for me to escape the mundane details of reality, and go to an adorable, fun filled land with an amazing protagonist. Pac-Man quickly became my favorite video game character, as his entire personality appealed to mine. I felt as if Pac-Man was a part of me. Getting both Pac-Man collection and namco museum and Pacman collection on the gameboy only further enhanced my love for the character.
Now, many years later when a new smash bros was announced, my first thought for a newcomer was immediately Pac-Man. To have my favorite video game character in smash would be amazing, and It would feel as if a part of me was in smash bros.
However...the hate for pac-man was a bit hard for me to handle. I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want pacman. Even worse, is how every attack on Pac-Man felt like a personal attack on me because of how connected I feel to the character. But the Pacman forum/community always felt like family to me, and helped me get through the hate and constant attacks.
Then the day pacman was revealed...one of the best days of my life. I cried when I saw the trailer, and went absolutely crazy when he was revealed. I needed pacman in this game, and I knew that others in the pacman community did as well. It was true beauty.
His Moveset was pretty much a dream come true. I've always loved the quirky and creative characters (just look at my mains) , and Pacman completely fits my playstyle. He has tons of options, he promotes creative play, he's silly, and fun with loads of personality...I couldn't ask for more (except a better grab XD)
Pacman is a part of me, this is why I main him.
I may love this character a little too much lol I don't have problems

Happy Birthday Pac-Man!!! Keep growing strong!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I could say at least that back in speculation era, I used to support Lloyd irving after losing interest to Pac-Man as a Namco-rep due not really giving me anything concrete to be excited about while also well, not having much prominent games on that same matter.

However, since Tales Of-series seemed to become more and more designated on Playstation-systems, it dawned to me that Lloyd Irving wouldn't really cut it anymore as much ideal rep from marketing standards, and I just waited for inevitable.

So the day when they showed Pac-Man, I saw him shown by the splash screen with his pizza form, and thought he was gonna be a joke character due that. Gladly enough when I watched the video, I was proven wrong. And well, he was much more. He felt fun. Absolutely fun. I think I watched his trailer a lot that day.

So after a long times, I sorta forgot about Pac for favor of other things to think about in Sm4sh. Mostly salty ones, bleh. The time I got Sm4sh for 3DS, I tried a lot chars, one of the being Pac. Holy smokes, I think I not only got rekindled into his feel of "fun", but now got completely into it's rhythm!

I could also say that Pac-Man's Namco Roulette inspired me to try all the classics Namco churned and got to learn in bigger detail about them (also majorly contributing to look deeper to Valkyrie's games after remembering her cameo from Tales of Phantasia and other Tales Of-games)

Sadly enough I need to sorta reinvent my Pac-game as apparently I have been so easily beaten when playing as Pac, and almost everything I use about him has been turned against me. Might be partial thing of aggro-Pac being brain-dead easy.

But here's for another long years of my favorite ghost munching mascot!

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Today is our day.

I'm not the best artist, but here's what I did today.

Place your comments below.
I've always had a soft-spot for the dot muncher, and when I heard that Namco was developing Smash 4, I immediately started rooting for his inclusion. I was shocked to see so many people hate the idea of him being in Smash when I first joined SmashBoards. I was rather shy at the time, and didn't post much, but seeing the members in the Pac-Man support thread remain dedicated to their most wanted character made me push for Pac-Man even further, and when he was revealed (almost a year ago now, wow) I was pumped! He is now one of my mains.

I'm currently making a piece of fan-art for his birthday, it may be late, but I'll upload it as soon as I can.

Slidin

Smash Rookie

Which one was your first? Which one is your favourite?
World 1 answers both of those questions for me :p

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Which one was your first? Which one is your favourite?
World 1 answers both of those questions for me :p
The original was my first, with that and Championship Edition as my favorite (I would say World 2, but I haven't played that in over 10 years.)

Edit: AlphaOmegaSin showed his appreciation of the Pacster.

Last edited:

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
wow, for mario's anniversary he's getting super mario maker, mario tennis on wiiu, and mario & luigi: paper jam. meanwhile pac-man's getting a single mobile game? i mean, sure it looks like a good mobile game, but c'mon! talk about disappointing.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
wow, for mario's anniversary he's getting super mario maker, mario tennis on wiiu, and mario & luigi: paper jam. meanwhile pac-man's getting a single mobile game? i mean, sure it looks like a good mobile game, but c'mon! talk about disappointing.
i'm personally unimpressed with most of the pacman games beyond pac-mania. championship edition dx is the best out there, and i was hoping for at least a reboot of the world saga with his anniversary, but let's face it, he's not as marketable as mario anymore.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
i'm personally unimpressed with most of the pacman games beyond pac-mania. championship edition dx is the best out there, and i was hoping for at least a reboot of the world saga with his anniversary, but let's face it, he's not as marketable as mario anymore.
if there was any time to attempt to revive pac-man, it would have been now, after smash 4 popularity. but they aren't even trying, i guess they aren't willing to let the ghostly adventures thing go...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
if there was any time to attempt to revive pac-man, it would have been now, after smash 4 popularity. but they aren't even trying, i guess they aren't willing to let the ghostly adventures thing go...
Well, they're pushing his appearance in Pixels pretty hard, at least. I had my 9-year-old cousin ask me about the movie the other day, and Pac-Man's appearance in it seemed to be the main catalyst for his interest.

Agreed, though. A lot of missed potential. His appearance in Smash could have been used to do so much more for the franchise.

Top Bottom