• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hand positions?

Duality

Smash Journeyman
What's a good hand position for short jumping, wave dashing, etc. Perhaps I'm just not that good at this but when I try to short jump my jump is always long unless I hit it with my pinky hella quick.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I was NEVER able to short jump consistently with fox in the heat of an actual match back when I handled A,B and Y with my thumbs. I ended up changing my grip around december so that my thumb still handles A,B and the C stick but my index finger comes down and controls the Y button. "The Finger" then takes over Z and I use L for everything else. Whenever I need to short hop I just do a kind of "flick" with my index finger to quickly run it over Y. It took about a day or two before I felt comfortable doing a match that way, and it took weeks before I felt like I was totally comfortable and competent with it.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Jekyll said:
I was NEVER able to short jump consistently with fox in the heat of an actual match back when I handled A,B and Y with my thumbs. I ended up changing my grip around december so that my thumb still handles A,B and the C stick but my index finger comes down and controls the Y button. "The Finger" then takes over Z and I use L for everything else. Whenever I need to short hop I just do a kind of "flick" with my index finger to quickly run it over Y. It took about a day or two before I felt comfortable doing a match that way, and it took weeks before I felt like I was totally comfortable and competent with it.

That's exactly how I shifted my hand to play about a year ago. Took me about a week of practice just to retrain my hands to hold the controller and push the right buttons with the right fingers, but once I got it down, it was perfectly comfortable.

It made a big difference in my handling too. I went from barely being able to do 1 short hop lazer with falco because my fingers were to slow to being able to shoot low enough to hit a crouched kirby reliably.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm I might try that out so my thumb should cover a,b, and c? Index finger x and y and middle finger Z?

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
heres a pro way to hold the controller -

use both your thumb and index finger to grip the two edges of the joystick, and your middle finger for the l-button

use your entire thumb to cover the x, b AND a button, and use your index finger to cover the y, and use your middle and ring to cover the z and r-button.

oh yeah LD

fluffy

Smash Champion
i use thumbs w/ like 99% of gamers.

but azen can play 1 handed...

Top Bottom