• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hammer Hopping - Useful or not?

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
So, I searched the forums, and couldn't find anybody talking about this thing I discovered, which probably means it's not that useful. However, it has served me well in certain situations. I call it Hammer Hopping.

Kirby's new hammer move, when done in the air, has less startup lag than when he's on the ground. It also will stop Kirby's jump.

So, if you jump, then perform the hammer attack almost instantly (if you do it too early, you will land before actually attacking), Kirby will barely leave the ground, but still do the midair hammer swing.

If you do this just right, he will land right after the startup lag ends and the actual attack starts. It seems that there is less lag when he lands than there would be if he was on the ground finishing the move. Best of all, you can move Kirby forward while performing this move (probably backwards too, if you have the right button configuration).

So, hammer hopping trades some power and damage for less startup and ending lag, and higher mobility.

Does anybody else use this or think it's a good idea?

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I'v used that since day 1. It's a good tactic for people trying to charge at you constantly or if you're trying to stay unpredictible.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
It sounds interesting, it is definitely something that may catch your opponent off guard and his aerial hammer definitely still has enough power to KO, I would say that its situational, but still potentially very useful.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
It's good when you know that they can't shield due to end lag from an attack or recovery (Zelda has a lot of landing lag when using her recovery unless she appears on the ground) and you have to get in a strong attack. But there's characters who have attacks that come out quicker and have higher priority and range, plus it get's weaker if you use it too often =x.. Though at the same time you could use the ground hammer when Zelda is landing if you are close enough to her when she's landing and that is a lot more rewarding since it can kill at 70%.

Whenever I use the air hammer, I always aim to get the 2nd swing instead of the 1st swing cause the 2nd swing is a lot more useful and will more likely let you kill them because of the crazy horizontal knock-back (requires some practice, but you get used to it). I only bother with the first swing when I want to forward grab/aerial hammer.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I've never used it all that much, I've noticed the phenomenon, but never tried to exploit it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I use it a lot to K.O. my foe's in the air, not as much as the Final Cutter however. But the Hammer in the air is much much useful than the one on Melee, and you can come back from a distance when you run out of jumps. XD

Top Bottom