• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hammer-cancel Discovery

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Just dropping a note to all you Kirby players about something I found out about the Hammer. While jumping around and swinging the hammer I was seeing how it could be used at the ledge and ended up dropping to stage and edge-canceling it right about when it came out (I don't think there's a Hitbox for it).

Today, I found out you can do it from a dash. Just run toward the ledge of the stage and right before reaching it use the Ground Hammer. Kirby will have a slight forward momentum that takes him over the stage and as he drops he edge-cancels the Hammer. You can move into anything from this cancel, such as another Hammer (Giant Swing), jumping back to the stage with a B-air, dropping down with a Swallow (Kirbycide!), etc.

It's not ground-breaking, but it's fun and a little flashier than what we Kirby player have had in Melee (which is to say nothing). lol

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
^Don't count on it...

So what can this be used for? An edgeguard-edgehog combination?

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
when you have time vids would be cool. and t!mmy, do you think that kirby is really good high teir like this time around cause if not im not going to bother with him.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I like Kirby's Hammer now, so useful:

-Infinite Jump
-Help recovery
-Now super easy edge guarding

Vids? Its just him dash hammering and falling off and the hammer auto cancels and kirby auto grabs the ledge.

Heh funny how many people ask for videos these days.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
isnt it though.
i think i know what hes talking about. like how link can slide of the ledge doing his up-b in melee? i just want to make sure im on the rightt thought pattern you know?

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Yeah vids are always nice. t!mmy could probably easily get one up, wouldn't mind myself.

From what I read, I think it is like Link sliding off ledge w/ Up B and grabbing the ledge. But, Kirby's is a running dash hammer, so thats super awesome! Very showy and useful for Kirby.

O also I wasn't being mean(hope you didn't get that impression), I just hear vids please all the time nowadays, just saying.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Well^, I'm not a very good smash player at all but:

Edgehog = grabbing the ledge so they can't grab it.

Edgeguard just means keeping them off the ledge so yes, you can ledgeguard that way or you can use the hammer to grab the ledge then be ready to jump off and ledgeguard the guy trying to recover.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Do you think the forward momentum works well in competitive fights?
The forward momentum works great on built stages with ice.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
I find it funny how the air hammer has evolved from a nearly useless move to a move that in the first month of release already has so many uses

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Why do people keep saying that^. It is out. Its been out since the 31st of last month. Over a million japanese gamers are playing it right now. And who knows how many importers from around the world, including North America, have already gotten there hands on an import copy. A better way to put it is its been out for less then a month.

Raiko

Smash Rookie
"-Infinite Jump
-Help recovery
-Now super easy edge guarding"

Where can I find that info? :O

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
As I said in my post, it's not that great but more of a "flashy" move. This is mainly due to the fact that it doesn't really have a hitbox.

After experimenting with it a bit I can conclude that the ground Hammer version does not have a hitbox. Kirby makes his Hammer sound, even pulls out the hammer for a moment, and then it cancels and he can do pretty much anything in the air, including edge hog.

I tried to see if the Giant Swing (air) had a hitbox because when I did it, it certainly looked like it. But I haven't been able to duplicate it since. But I know it's possible since it's what inspired me to try it while on the ground.

Edit:
Upon thinking about it, what I might have done was right when I touched the ledge of the stage used the Hammer on the ground as I landed instead of in the air. If this is true there's a possibility that the Giant Swing in the air cannot be canceled at the ledge which explains why I cannot duplicate it.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Man, Kirby's got a lot of new techs that use that hammer...makes up for how tough it was to use in Melee...

Raiko

Smash Rookie
As I said in my post, it's not that great but more of a "flashy" move. This is mainly due to the fact that it doesn't really have a hitbox.

After experimenting with it a bit I can conclude that the ground Hammer version does not have a hitbox. Kirby makes his Hammer sound, even pulls out the hammer for a moment, and then it cancels and he can do pretty much anything in the air, including edge hog.

I tried to see if the Giant Swing (air) had a hitbox because when I did it, it certainly looked like it. But I haven't been able to duplicate it since. But I know it's possible since it's what inspired me to try it while on the ground.

Edit:
Upon thinking about it, what I might have done was right when I touched the ledge of the stage used the Hammer on the ground as I landed instead of in the air. If this is true there's a possibility that the Giant Swing in the air cannot be canceled at the ledge which explains why I cannot duplicate it.

Could you tell me about this edge guarding tech, and if the infinite jump is useful in battle?

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
and the game isnt even out yet :)
It's out in Japan and it's not like there aren't any people who brought their wii over here -_-. I got to play for about 30 minutes worth and Kirby's hammer is a lot better for killing people now ~_~. It's probably his best knock-back move for killing people, but I hope it's priority is pretty high among other characters.

Kirby has an infinite jump? :o

L-ectrico

Smash Apprentice
It's out in Japan and it's not like there aren't any people who brought their wii over here -_-. I got to play for about 30 minutes worth and Kirby's hammer is a lot better for killing people now ~_~. It's probably his best knock-back move for killing people, but I hope it's priority is pretty high among other characters.

Kirby has an infinite jump? :o
I know, I was joking, and the hammer now seems like a great killing move

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman

Could you tell me about this edge guarding tech, and if the infinite jump is useful in battle?
Well, I really suck at melee but this is what I think it means.
There are two things you can do to stop someone from recovering at the ledge. Edge guard and edge hog.

Edge hog is when you grab the ledge so they can't grab the ledge as well. You also get invincibility frames on the edge for a short moment so this is very useful.

Edge guard is when you attack you foe so they cannot come back. Things like spiking, meteor smashing, and Wall of Pain are ways to Edge guard.

Actually I'm not really sure about the terms. I mix them up occasionally and I think I just screwed my explanation. Someone correct me please. =(

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Seems like you got the terms right to me, but I think he was asking how the Hammer Ledge Cancel is used for edge guarding. The hammer itself really can't be used since it cancels out, but what you can do is cancel it into an edge hog, an aerial attack, or other attacks as you see fit to Air Guard (edge guarding off-stage).

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
It's not too unbelievable if someone found a trick =/=, Apparently Snake has one, of course it's not something you're going to do in every stage.

Top Bottom