• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo 2/3 and Brawl are not comparable. So stop bashing Halo.

nindgod

Smash Journeyman
I am a nintendo fan boy. I have never owned a system outside of Nintendo's box. However, I have played Halo 2, and I play the multiplayer with my friends every weekend. I can safely say that it is AMAZINGly fun, and if you deny that it's good, please, I urge you to answer this question, have you even PLAYED It?

But Halo and Smash Brothers are in totally different realms of fighting.

TWO different realms of fighting.

Halo takes the first person perspective, so having a screen to yourself is better than splitting it up. With smash brothers, there is no need for another TV because playing by yourself or with 3 other people makes no difference on the quality of the game play.

Halo is amazingly fun. And so is Brothers, too. But they are fun in different ways, and they go about different aspects about fighting, so I'm sick of all of you saying halo sucks because it does not, and how Brawl is better - because it ISNT.

But Halo isn't better than Smash brothers either - they are uncomparable, and both EXCELLENT games.

Thank you.

:chuckle:

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
i played Halo 3 and there was NOTHING special about it, my opinion

im not comparing ne thing....

Darkurai

Smash Master
I know you made this thread because of mine, and you totally missed what I was saying.

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
For one we compare brawl with halo 3 get your games straight. after you beat halo3 it gets boring but brawl won't so much stuff to do

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I have me and my friend beat it 3 times on hard and 1 on legend. we played online 20 times and it got really boring its fun to play every now in then not every single day like 24/7 straight

nindgod

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I have me and my friend beat it 3 times on hard and 1 on legend. we played online 20 times and it got really boring its fun to play every now in then not every single day like 24/7 straight
brawl won't be fun to play for 24/7 straight after beating it 3 times on hard and legend and playing it online for 20 matches. ;)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I am a nintendo fan boy. I have never owned a system outside of Nintendo's box. However, I have played Halo 2, and I play the multiplayer with my friends every weekend. I can safely say that it is AMAZINGly fun, and if you deny that it's good, please, I urge you to answer this question, have you even PLAYED It?

But Halo and Smash Brothers are in totally different realms of fighting.

TWO different realms of fighting.

Halo takes the first person perspective, so having a screen to yourself is better than splitting it up. With smash brothers, there is no need for another TV because playing by yourself or with 3 other people makes no difference on the quality of the game play.

Halo is amazingly fun. And so is Brothers, too. But they are fun in different ways, and they go about different aspects about fighting, so I'm sick of all of you saying halo sucks because it does not, and how Brawl is better - because it ISNT.

But Halo isn't better than Smash brothers either - they are uncomparable, and both EXCELLENT games.

Thank you.

:chuckle:
That's where you are wrong, for these will be the best games of all time in 2007/2008.

But yeah I do know where you are coming from, Smash is a comic relief fighting game while Halo is a shooter. Two different gaming genres I know, but still...

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
Trust me they are both really great and online is a killer on em both it just has more to do on Brawl and more epic choices to pick from.

Makkers

Smash Cadet
I won't bash Halo for being compared to Smash but I will bash Halo for being insanely overhyped. :)

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
Both games are great, just since halo 3 is out SSBB players will like Brawl more because its newer. thats how all games are once H-4 comes out brawl will be lessed played till the next one comes out.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I believe people bash Halo because it's so hyped and it's a FPS, which aren't hard to come by so it's not doing anything new.

what makes Halo good is the fact that it does things right. So what if it isn't 'innovative'. Smash hasn't exactly changed much since the beginning when you boil it down.

Melee improved on SSb64 and Brawl will [try to] improve from Melee just as Halo did and there is nothing wrong with that.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
When Brawl comes out, sorry, but Halo 3 will have "lost the lead" in popularity wise. Sakurai looks like he's taking nothing to chance and knows this is a huge make or break for Nintendo. Heh....it could get delayed again.

Edit: Hi Red Exodus!

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
It better not get delayed again. but the above poster sounds like me. Halo 3 is out for right now then when brawl comes out most people will be playing that till halo 4 then that and so on..

Makkers

Smash Cadet
I believe people bash Halo because it's so hyped and it's a FPS, which aren't hard to come by so it's not doing anything new.

what makes Halo good is the fact that it does things right. So what if it isn't 'innovative'.
The biggest reason why I (Yes, I. I'm speaking for myself) bash Halo is simply because the hype behind it is from gamers who have never played PC FPS games. Features that were in Halo has existed since Doom and moreso since Quake. Hell, it was done best with Half Life/HL2. Halo doing things right is not always the case since the single player is horrible while the multiplayer has been plagued with weapon balance issues (Needler/Pistol from Halo 1). Seriously, Halo players, how many of you actually enjoyed any part of the game Flood related?

Doesn't help that the story of Halo is horrible. The lore is great, don't get me wrong but the game story is so void of decent character development, I felt like hitting my head on the wall. It's pretty sad since Bungie did a great job with Marathon and Myth in terms of story.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we shoud start comparing smash with GTA4, or MGS4/MGSO.

Because those games are looking amazingly awesome.
and they have two things in-common with brawl.
1. They are not released yet.
2. all three release in Q1(if i remember correctly)

Sir James

The Doctor
The difference is that Smash is the best of its genre, whereas Halo isn't. It's a totally over-rated series of FPS games that don't do anything special. I won't go into it, as other posters above me have already explained.

In terms of actual gameplay, you are right. They can't be compared. The amount of fun you might have playing the games or how good they are within their own genre can be compared, but that is it. There are certain expectations for a specific game given the type of game it is.

Also, I don't believe the threads are bashing Halo (like Darkurai said) but they were comparing the potential sales and how many copies of each would sell.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The biggest reason why I (Yes, I. I'm speaking for myself) bash Halo is simply because the hype behind it is from gamers who have never played PC FPS games.
I see where you are coming from, people do that will a lot of games. Like the FF series, people think they are the best ever mainly because of FFVII.

Features that were in Halo has existed since Doom and moreso since Quake. Hell, it was done best with Half Life/HL2. Halo doing things right is not always the case since the single player is horrible while the multiplayer has been plagued with weapon balance issues (Needler/Pistol from Halo 1).
Like I said, it's not innovative but it does things right. It was hard to find good console shooters last gen. Playing stuff like Killzone and Timesplitters makes Halo seem like a God send.

Seriously, Halo players, how many of you actually enjoyed any part of the game Flood related?
I only liked it with co-op.

Doesn't help that the story of Halo is horrible. The lore is great, don't get me wrong but the game story is so void of decent character development, I felt like hitting my head on the wall. It's pretty sad since Bungie did a great job with Marathon and Myth in terms of story.
I don't know the story, my friend never finishes play throughs, I swear he has ADHD [he does this with just about every game].

P.S hi shade

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
****, I had just started *****ing people out in the stage creator thread. I don't even own a 360 or play Halo 3 and it's bugging the crap out of me.

Makkers

Smash Cadet
Anything is better with co-op. Personally, I can't see myself playing through the Library in Halo 1 or the Arbiter/Library section in Halo 2 again without a buddy.

Funny, I just now noticed that anything Library related where you have to go into Flood containment sections in a Halo is god awful.

I don't know the story, my friend never finishes play throughs, I swear he has ADHD [he does this with just about every game].
If you wanted to know the story anyways, I advise you to pick up the infinitely superior graphic novel Marvel comics put out as well as the several novels already out in the market. They provide a better insight to the Halo universe than the game itself (Which is sad).

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
The biggest reason why I (Yes, I. I'm speaking for myself) bash Halo is simply because the hype behind it is from gamers who have never played PC FPS games. Features that were in Halo has existed since Doom and moreso since Quake. Hell, it was done best with Half Life/HL2. Halo doing things right is not always the case since the single player is horrible while the multiplayer has been plagued with weapon balance issues (Needler/Pistol from Halo 1). Seriously, Halo players, how many of you actually enjoyed any part of the game Flood related?

QFT. Yes, Halo is fun for a couple online matches or co-op campaign. But, it isn't THE GAME OF ALL TIME, like people act. Many other games have done it lots better.

Micahc

Smash Ace
If you don't like Halo multiplayer, than it's simply not your cup of tea. The multiplayer is great, I've played it and I've loved it. You can't compare the two games at all. I'm getting Brawl cause I don't have money for Live or a 360 (or a Wii at the moment :p), and I don't want eight year olds cussing me out :p

You don't like Halo? Get over it, the games are awesome. They don't like smash? They can get over it, the games are great.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Uber Halo post incoming. Sorry if I get a bit defensive. It just frustrates me to see so much unjustified Halo hate (not that there isn't anything one could justifiably hate, of course).

The biggest reason why I (Yes, I. I'm speaking for myself) bash Halo is simply because the hype behind it is from gamers who have never played PC FPS games. Features that were in Halo has existed since Doom and moreso since Quake. Hell, it was done best with Half Life/HL2.
It's totally possible to like Halo's gameplay over HL's gameplay. HL1 and HL2 are neat games, but I didn't find them to be that fun or replayable. Very interesting storytelling and all, but I just didn't find them to be that fun.

Halo doing things right is not always the case since the single player is horrible
What? They're the most replayable and enjoyable single player games I've ever played.

while the multiplayer has been plagued with weapon balance issues (Needler/Pistol from Halo 1).
The Needler sucking is a huge balance problem? One gun being useless doesn't horribly skew the gameplay. And lots of Halo fans would disagree on the Pistol argument. It's a great medium-range weapon, and since all players start with it, they all have a fighting chance against other players even if they just spawned. It might be a bit too powerful, but it actually requires skill to use, and the Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Plasma Rifle (and grenades and melee attacks) all have their own strengths over the Pistol in their own realms of combat, so it isn't like everyone is spawning with rockets. I love H1 multiplayer.

And don't give me some "people buy Halo 2/3 and play Halo 2/3 because it's Halo" argument. If Halo 1's gameplay sucked, no one would care about Halo 2/3, so Bungie must have done something right.

Seriously, Halo players, how many of you actually enjoyed any part of the game Flood related?
You can't pick one aspect of Halo's single player anf generalize it to cover the entire experience. Fighting the Covenant is a lot of fun. Besides, the Flood levels are a lot of fun when taken in small doses or when a four-way war between the player, the Covenant, the Flood, and the Sentinels is going on, as in the last three levels of Halo 1. Obviously, a few single player missions are relatively awful (Library in Halo 1, Cortana in Halo 3), but most single player missions are excellent. Anyways, to directly answer the question, the Flood are a lot of fun in certain situations. A few places are awful, but most times the Flood are fun.

I'll grant you that for the most part (since your qualms are with the games' stories only). It's unfortunate that Bungie tries to make the story simple so the masses can follow it (even if they utterly fail in that regard and admit it). I liked Halo 1's story-telling. It was relatively easy to follow and had some good twists and turns, and there was a lot of stuff under the surface to speculate about. Too bad Bungie squandered their development time for Halo 2 and ended up with a convoluted story without an ending, with lots of important sequences cut to make the release date. Bungie did a better job with Halo 3, but I don't think they explained enough about what was going on to make it more sensible. Not to mention that the single player campaign was just too short.

Anything is better with co-op. Personally, I can't see myself playing through the Library in Halo 1 or the Arbiter/Library section in Halo 2 again without a buddy.

Funny, I just now noticed that anything Library related where you have to go into Flood containment sections in a Halo is god awful.
I thought the Sentinel Wall portion of Halo 2 was pretty cool, but Halo 2 Flood were awful, making that level more frustrating than it should be. And regarding the next level, Flood with homing rockets are some of the most aggrivating enemies ever. I think that level with Halo 3 Flood would be a lot of fun.

If you wanted to know the story anyways, I advise you to pick up the infinitely superior graphic novel Marvel comics put out as well as the several novels already out in the market. They provide a better insight to the Halo universe than the game itself (Which is sad).
I would hesitate to pick up the novel Halo: The Flood (and not just because it involves the Flood :p). It's mostly just a retelling of Halo 1's story, but Halo 1's in-game story and storytelling were already very good, so you aren't missing much. The rest are very good. I haven't read the comics yet, but I read the graphic novel and I can't say I liked it. The first story was neat, the next two were irrelevant and inconsequential, and the final had horrible, horrible artwork that heavily detracted from the story.

LuNasty

Smash Rookie
i play halo competitively and smash as a fun thing. both are equally fun to play and i don't understand how some people don't find h3 fun especially since they can make there own game types and edit maps with the new forge. either way both games are amazing and attract different crowds. also halo1 is still the best in my opinion

falco999

Smash Apprentice
I see where you are coming from, people do that will a lot of games. Like the FF series, people think they are the best ever mainly because of FFVII.

Like I said, it's not innovative but it does things right. It was hard to find good console shooters last gen. Playing stuff like Killzone and Timesplitters makes Halo seem like a God send.

P.S hi shade
what have you got against final fantasy?

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
i only have two words.

True dat.

Halo=FPS
SSBB=Fighting

Makkers

Smash Cadet
Uber Halo post incoming. Sorry if I get a bit defensive. It just frustrates me to see so much unjustified Halo hate (not that there isn't anything one could justifiably hate, of course).
I never said I hated Halo. I merely implied that the praise it gets is overblown. Once again, I'm speaking for myself and find my arguments to be justified because I played the games. I'm not pulling this out of nowhere. Don't claim that my arguments are unjustified just because you disagree with them.

It's totally possible to like Halo's gameplay over HL's gameplay. HL1 and HL2 are neat games, but I didn't find them to be that fun or replayable. Very interesting storytelling and all, but I just didn't find them to be that fun.
You're missing the point. The claim by Halo fanatics that the game is the best thing since sliced bread due to the quality of the single player and multiplayer are completely unfounded due to the fact that the genre have seen most, if not all, of Halo's features. Some would even claim that Forge is this radically bold and unique idea yet Half Life 2 had a little mod called Gary's mod that does everything Forge does and more.

What? They're the most replayable and enjoyable single player games I've ever played.
Opinions are fun. Just try not to pass yours as fact. I personally cannot stand single player due to the game suffering from issues sure as insanely poor level design (Every reviewer has pointed this out, FYI) and repetitive environments.

The Needler sucking is a huge balance problem? One gun being useless doesn't horribly skew the gameplay. And lots of Halo fans would disagree on the Pistol argument. It's a great medium-range weapon, and since all players start with it, they all have a fighting chance against other players even if they just spawned. It might be a bit too powerful, but it actually requires skill to use, and the Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Plasma Rifle (and grenades and melee attacks) all have their own strengths over the Pistol in their own realms of combat, so it isn't like everyone is spawning with rockets. I love H1 multiplayer.
Again, I merely pointed out that Halo suffers from a weapons imbalance. Needler being useless is an example meant to illustrate an imbalance, not to be the major point.

Also, the number one combo in Halo 1 multiplayer was Pistol/Shotgun. That's all you needed. Sure, Rocket Launcher becomes important in vehicle heavy matches but Pistol/Shotgun was all you needed. Assault rifle was useless and Covenant weapons as a whole were useless (Aside from the Covenant cannon in the PC version). Again, it illustrates my point about weapon imbalance in the game.

And don't give me some "people buy Halo 2/3 and play Halo 2/3 because it's Halo" argument. If Halo 1's gameplay sucked, no one would care about Halo 2/3, so Bungie must have done something right.
Paranoid, aren't we?

Face it, people buy games based on labels. Would you be hyping Smash if it were Random Party Brawler Extreme with no Nintendo characters in sight? Of course not. Lets not delude ourselves.

Halo 1's gameplay was good for what it was: A console shooter. People saw this and reacted to the hype. It doesn't make Halo 2 and 3 automatically perfect by association. To think otherwise is the sign of a zealot.

You can't pick one aspect of Halo's single player anf generalize it to cover the entire experience. Fighting the Covenant is a lot of fun. Besides, the Flood levels are a lot of fun when taken in small doses or when a four-way war between the player, the Covenant, the Flood, and the Sentinels is going on, as in the last three levels of Halo 1. Obviously, a few single player missions are relatively awful (Library in Halo 1, Cortana in Halo 3), but most single player missions are excellent. Anyways, to directly answer the question, the Flood are a lot of fun in certain situations. A few places are awful, but most times the Flood are fun.
I can pick one aspect of Halo's single player because that's the aim of Halo: Take one example of a random skirmish, sprinkle great AI and add it in multiple parts of the game. Bungie even stated this was their goal in the Halo games: Take 10 minutes of fun and make it the basis of the gameplay. This is why I complain about the Flood segments: They made up the majority of Halo 2 and most of the middle to end of Halo 1.

I don't like the Flood. They are a horrible game play design in the game because they are tedious. I've never had one encounter with the Flood that I found fun. I love Covenant fights. High Charity after the Gravemind segment was fun. However, when the Flood arrived, my fun was killed off by a constant flood of space zombies with piss poor AI. The Flood is nothing more than a tact on enemy. It makes sense and is vital in the story but little to no sense in the execution.

Everything else we seem to be on the same track so I'll leave it be.

Top Bottom