• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo 1 or Halo 2???

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Im starting this post because Im curious as to see what everyone here thinks about Halo 1 and 2. Personally, Halo CE was the first game i ever got serious with, and started playing it online with xbconnect. This was my big intro into online gaming because I have never been a big fan of computer games. I was SO freakin excited about Halo 2, and then i played it, and to me they RUINED it. The pistol in halo 1 was, IMO, the best and most skilled weapon of all time. There is nothing that takes quite as much skill as the three shot kill (Halo 1) in Halo 2. I feel that they turned a game in which you had to have VERY good aim and some pretty good mind games, into a game where you just ran around and shot dual rapid fire weapons, or used a plasma pistol and some other weapon combo.

Now I realize that there are many more weapons in Halo 2, as well as more maps, but thats what I loved about the first one. You had a few different weapons, and you any of them could be competitive with any of the other ones (for the most part). I feel like Halo 1 had more open levels in which precise aim was key. Even on the smaller levels, there still just seemed to be more open space, instead of everyone running around with dual guns just firing rapidly.

I just got a 360 b/c halo 3 comes out SO much sooner than ssbb, but I will definitely have a wii before Dec. 3rd. I have seen screen shots of Halo 3, and it looked like a pistol that could zoom in, so if thats true, then i will be freakin excited.

So anyways, let me know what you think, I realize that this is kind of a random thread, but I was curious to see if other gamers thought the same way that I do, or if I am just out on my own.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
I liked Halo 2 more but I haven't had much experience with number 1. I just know system link (not online) with Halo 2 with a few buddies is a good time. Especially Foundation, and that Halo 1 level.

ingramanick

Smash Rookie
batavia ohio in the eastgate area where i have yet
halo one for the campaign and halo two for multiplayer, the pistol in two was the thing that made me most dislke the game, and for some reason the default assault rifle in the first one was one of my favorite guns and when they got rid of that, it almost ruined it for me, the duel wielding grew on me.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
They downgraded the pistol because the noobs kept on complaining and getting owned online. I've played Halo 1 on the computer and it's a fantastic game because it's free and you can mod it. :)
Halo 2 is ok online I guess, the noob comberers still annoy me and those 12/13 year old kids ruin it.

I still like halo 2 better through.

Sir James

The Doctor
I loved the first Halo and I traded in Halo 2 a month after I bought it. The campaign in that game was pretty bad. I hear the multiplayer was the main reason to play the game, but at the time I didn't have an Xbox Live account (nor did I want to). I hope Halo 3 brings back some of the true Halo campaign greatness.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
They downgraded the pistol because the noobs kept on complaining and getting owned online.
Actually they downgraded the pistol because they said it was unbalanced because it was the only thing that balanced the game. Giving everyone the Assault Rifle and the Pistol when you spawn, everyone switches to the Pistol and the game is "balanced" because nobody picks up any other weapons.

I totally prefer Halo 2, much better multiplayer and maps, campaign expanded on the story so much more which made the Halo universe into a much more enjoyable thing to read up on, etc.

It's a great thing that they got right of the Halo 1 pistol, as they've learned from Halo 1 and Halo 2 that neither ended up being properly balanced and Halo 3 appears to be very balanced.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
The pistol was a great weapon, definetly the best all around weapon, but the Rocket launcher, shotgun, plasma rifle, and sniper rifle definetly off set the pistol on most levels. In Halo 1, you could be competitive against any gun from the start because the pistol was so good (And just because you COULD kill someone with RL using only a pistol, they will still probably kill you if close range and they dont SUCK). BUT you still wanted to pick up a RL or sniper or shotgun (depending on level obviously). You also didnt HAVE to start off with pistol, although i agree that pistol, AR, frags was the best starting combo. Multiplayer could be annoying when people timed and absolutely WHORED items, but even then, you still had some chance at killing someone who was invisible with RL and maybe even OS from the moment you spawn because you have the pistol

In Halo 2, all you want to do is get good weapon combos and then try to kill everyone who probably has a crappy combo. The BR is a good weapon, but there are many different weapon combos that are FAR superior to the BR for long, medium, and close range. Because of these superior combos, your chance of killing someone who has that combo once you have respawned is little to none (if they are any good). Here is a link to a great video showing the changes between Halo 1 and 2, I think that it makes more great points than I feel like writing here.
Great you tube video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Au7KE9xUVTk

AsILayDying

Smash Apprentice
id go for Halo 1, cuz on the beta i got it has free multiplayer and it rox a lot but i loved halo 2 multiplayer more since it had all the cool options but since i am a sniper... gotta go for halo 1!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i love halo 2 multi. Not that i think the pistol is "cheap" or anything but i like combining weapons. No weapon is broken, the end al be all game winner in either game, even the sword. THe sword can have range, but shotty and stickies can take it out. and someone backing away from you can't get hit.

The n00b combo works to some exteant. It sucks unless you run into them and they can't miss. it sort of homes, but it's easy to avoid. What i like alot, which people always look at me funny when i use, is magnum + smg. It's requires good aim, but it's deadly when used effectively.

I love duel wielding, and it is hardly something n00bs can get away with randomly firing.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well maybe I would play Halo 2 if it actually worked on Windows XP.
The campaign works for Windows XP. Online Multiplayer does not. If I had a choice of playing Halo 2 on either PC or Xbox, I'd pick PC because I prefer a mouse over a controller for FPS's anyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2

"Windows XP compatibility - Released the third week of June 2007, a program that enables Halo 2 to run on Windows XP was released by user abcba on the FileFront forum. The program consists entirely of legal code that implements any missing function Halo 2 needs to run on Windows XP. Using this program, the single player section of Halo 2 is playable on Windows XP."

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Halo: Boarding action, Chiron TL34, Pistols, Infinite Grenades, Campaign.
Halo 2: Lockout, Swords, Xbox Live, No Health, Better Customizable Multiplayer.

yep thats my two cents.

Wazoo21

Smash Apprentice
I played 2 and 3 at a friend's house, once. All I had to say afterwards was:

SSB>Pichu>Halo.

That series is terrible. >.<

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I played 2 and 3 at a friend's house, once. All I had to say afterwards was:

SSB>Pichu>Halo.

Man, after reading this post, I agree. Wazoo, thank you for enlightening me with such well thought out statements.

Man, I played SSB 1 and 2 at a friend's house, once. All I had to say afterwards was:

Halo>The Arbiter>SSB.

Top Bottom