• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I had a feeling they would add it after most people struggled to get their unlocks. I got my last one on Thursday, it pained me to watch people pin others to walls while I kept getting a bunch of worthless razorbacks.

Sensai

Smash Master
Sorry...I don't check Smashboards as much as I used to. I'mma try to reply to the people who replied to my post about 3 pages back.

Superstar said:
I don't think it countered Pyros anyways, since you'll still burn while cloaked.
I was definitely exaggerating; Spies never countered Pyros. But the Dead Ringer definitely evened them out, or at least shifted the balance in a big way.

With the (now antiquated) Dead Ringer, you burned if the Pyro lit you up after you feigned death. If you were in flamethrower range, you had probably a ~10% chance to not get hit if you feigned death, but anything past that you stood a great chance of not lighting up.

Although lighting up wasn't that bad either. Sure, everyone knows where you are but the Dead Ringer was busted; everyone knew that no Spy really died, meaning everyone was still paranoid. Even if you're lit up, the crit rocket does 10 damage and you don't take burn damage. So, it took a LOT to kill a Spy, regardless of the fact that you knew exactly where he was.

I play Spy, it's probably my main class. If we're doing matchups a la Smash matchups, the Spy vs Pyro pre Dead Ringer was 2/8 Pyro, if not worse. The Dead Ringer made it 4/6, easy.

F8AL said:
Is there a noob weapon in the game?
There's nothing the equivalent of L4D's auto shotty or CS's noob cannon, no. A lot of people ***** about Pyro, Soldier, and Demo being too easy to play, but most people still suck at those classes. Most people don't correctly play Pyro (W+M1 is insulting, honestly. It's more like W+M2, 3, M1 [light 'em up and axe 'em]), most people aren't that great as Soldier and the fact that most people can't get around stickies makes the majority of people playing stupid, not the Demo broken.

Although Superstar/Black Waltz bring up a good point: Backburner (and Flare Gun, IMO) are 'noob' weapons because they're clearly the inferior of the other. Other weapons include the normal Bonesaw vs the Ubersaw and the Fireaxe vs the Axtinguisher, but you won't hear about these as literally everyone who has them uses the better.

Y34HDUD3!!! said:
Demo update
They update classes based on the amount of people playing them. The less played a class is the more likely it's going to be updated (in fact, there has yet to be an update where the least played class _wasn't_ updated; Spy vs Sniper were the two least played classes). Soldier (NOT SCOUT), Demo, and Engineer are the only classes left to update and, I can't be sure of this off the top of my head, Demo is the least played of those three....so my bet is that they're next.

DONE!

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Scout, Demo, and Engineer are the only classes left to update and, I can't be sure of this off the top of my head, Demo is the least played of those three....so my bet is that they're next.
Think you meant to say "Soldier, Demo, and Engineer", mate. :laugh:

And yes, light and axtinguish is the win combo against unaware heavies.

4% APR

Smash Champion
i'm surprised that sniper and spy were less played than demo. i want my demo update so bad

Superstar

Smash Champion
W+M1 is how most pub players play Pyro. There's more to it than that, but even the highest ceiling isn't that high. Hell, my Pyro is better than like 95% of Pub Pyros, and I've only gotten 30 minutes. Total.

Sensai

Smash Master
I did, in fact, mean Soldier. I even read over it multiple times and STILL missed it.

/sigh

[Edit:]

And I agree. Even though Pyro is my most played class, they're one of the classes that has the easiest skill curve (and not a high ceiling). But I dunno...they're fun to play.

I think the real reason I enjoy playing them is 'cause I really liked them before the update so long ago, when they were still not overplayed/not as great, and now it's just silly.

[Edit again:]

I've never really liked the Flare Gun. I think it's just 'cause when it first came out it was truly awful, but maybe I should give it another chance. The problem is, I'm not too accurate with it, haha.

Also, is this guy playing on a _really_ small, serious server, or is he scrimming? I don't think I saw a crit once, nor do I think that there were ever more than 6 people on a team. Ah, must be a small server, as I just saw a Spy.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Guy is scrimming. He's Bloodsire, one of the snipers in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZLJeQ1Nhc [mix of scrims, gathers, pubs, whatever, though there are less serious scrims].

Spy AND Pyro were even used in the ESEA Complexity vs Pandemic finals. They are rare but they do get play.

Also, Soldier isn't easy to use. Or rather, master. To be useful, he's easy, but to be good, I mean good, that's another story. My personal list from easiest to hardest:
Pyro
Heavy
Engie [A battle Engie is similar to Scouts, but Sentries lower the curve]
Medic
Soldier
Spy [not to win, I mean to learn right. Maybe swap with Soldier]
Scout
Demoman

Superstar

Smash Champion
I dunno about either. Aiming those pipes can be nasty. Some people say Scout is harder, some say Demo is. Bleh.

Yeahdude, either a 9600GT or a 9500GT. A 9500GT won't require a new power supply, so that looks like your best pick. It's low end, but I hear it's a good card.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Okay, I played today after previously only getting doubles of existing weapons and in the first 5 seconds I got the Huntsman and The Ambassador. The unlock system is weird. Thank god milestones are back.

Personally I think they should make an update to make weapons like the fireaxe,bonesaw,medigun and revolver better so maybe people would like to use them as well as their replacements.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I just got the Flare Gun today for the Pyro and I was wondering if I should equip that? Cause I heard that the Flare Gun is only good against Heavies because it's suicide if you try to rush them and flame them cause they'll own you really fast. I like the shotgun tho...

Superstar

Smash Champion
Flare gun has uses. I prefer Shotgun, but Flare gun has uses.

Personally I think they should make an update to make weapons like the fireaxe,bonesaw, medigun and revolver better so maybe people would like to use them as well as their replacements.
!

- Fireaxe: Auto crits people on fire for 195 damage. Seems situational but that's what the Airblast if for, launching them so they'll land into 195 damage.

- Medigun: A majority of the game, Medigun is better than the kritzkrieg, since it allows you to break deadlock. Kritz is better for "bulkier" class distributions, and certain other situations.

-Revolver: The rate of fire makes it better than the Ambassador if you can't consistently get headshots or shoot fast.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Superstar, do you know on what settings I could run TF2 with the 9500 GT gfx card?

Cuz if it is 35 $, then I'm thinking I could buy a more powerful one just to be sure. I wanna get the most out of the game. (That I can afford) Sorry if I'm sounding ungrateful.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
*Checks watch*

Well it's E3-o'clock, where's Episode 3?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Max, cept for Anti-aliasing.

Not 35$, it's about 50+ bucks. A 9600GT costs maybe 20 dollars more, is a LOT better, but if your PC wasn't built you'll need a new power supply, very likely. Runs AT LEAST 30 bucks.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Superstar: I think that you're mistaking what he meant. For one, the Fireaxe is _definitely_ the red axe that the Pyro starts with. You're agreeing with what he's saying. Also, I think he's talking about the Medic's syringe gun, not the heal gun.

I dunno the names for them.

@ Y34HDUD3!!!: Probably need to know your resolution, but it should look pretty **** good. Not completely max settings, but pretty good.

@ Mic 128: I KNOW! Instead, we get Valve's "we'd like to take your money by releasing a game that was incomplete at launch a year ago" L4D2 bull****. Sorry, a tad bit upset about it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Oh, 35 dollars after rebate. But I don't like to go on that. Sometimes, they try hard not to give you that rebate.

Oh, what he meant by Fireaxe. Ok then. But the heal gun for the Medic is called the Medigun. I think a suitable buff for the syringe gun would be an uber buildup. Still wouldn't be as good as the Blutsauger, but it wouldn't be completely terrible.

Agreed on L4D2.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Max, cept for Anti-aliasing.

Not 35$, it's about 50+ bucks. A 9600GT costs maybe 20 dollars more, is a LOT better, but if your PC wasn't built you'll need a new power supply, very likely. Runs AT LEAST 30 bucks.
When you say built for it, what do you mean? I'm thinking my pc's stats are pretty high.

Probably need to know your resolution, but it should look pretty **** good. Not completely max settings, but pretty good.
My resolution is 1440 X 900. If it runs that well, then I might as well buy that one.

Oh, 35 dollars after rebate. But I don't like to go on that. Sometimes, they try hard not to give you that rebate.
I'll see about that.
Thanks again guys.

Superstar

Smash Champion
No problem.

I don't mean built for it, I mean built. When you build a PC, it's likely you got a Power Supply with the proper or some extra pins. If you buy it, if it was just a basic one you might need to get a new Power Supply.

Also, your PC will need a PCI-Express slot. They look like this:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii289/XGSuperstar/PCIE.png
Obvious when you compare it to the normal white PCI slots [there are 3 in this picture].

You can just open it up when it's off and check your motherboard.

Also, sentries are evil. I swear, I'd like to go on a Scout rampage killing everyone on the other team but there's always a sentry. I remember on Badwater, we were Blue going for last, soon as the sentry went down I wreaked so much havoc...until they rebuilt it. ;_;

Soldier is good, but requires a sane Medic that won't stick to people, know priority healing, and know how to swap ubers to whomever needs it most. An uber going from one Soldier to another is ****. It's not even that hard.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
No problem.

Also, sentries are evil. I swear, I'd like to go on a Scout rampage killing everyone on the other team but there's always a sentry. I remember on Badwater, we were Blue going for last, soon as the sentry went down I wreaked so much havoc...until they rebuilt it. ;_;
Scout is probably the ONLY class that gets ***** by sentries. Pyros sometimes do too.
in other words, the engie needs an update soon. im tired of those **** snipers, demomen, heavys, and Spahs sappin mah Sentry.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't play Engy much anymore because there's not much skill to it, I try going offensive from time to time but there's only so many places you can put a sentry before your enemies wise up. Don't even get me started about the usual spots for SG farms, that's the most boring thing ever.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Sentry farms **** anything.

To take down a sentry farm, you need 2 uber Demomen with the rest of the team not being pathetic and backing them up. People can fight the airblasting Pyros and teammates slowing the uber down, can take "extra" shots while the sentries are targetting the uber, a Spy may sap one of the Sentries to give some opening to the rest of the team. Even a Scout with bonk can distract sentries.

But these are pubs. Don't expect such coordination. =/

Superstar

Smash Champion
They still happen, just less common.

I hate 32 man servers. The game breaks so hard once you add more than 24 man [even 24 people gets spammy].

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to love them especially when there was instant respawn but now I'm sick of them. Even on a huge map like Badwater you run into people everywhere and there's lots of spam going on. The clan that I joined mainly has 32 slot servers and now I hardly play there, I'm probably going to leave it soon.

Sensai

Smash Master
I have a theory that the thing that makes bad TF2 players is the respawn time (or lack thereof). If people aren't afraid to die (since they'll face no consequences) why not just run haphazardly into the enemy?

24 is about the medium, for me. 18 would probably be what I would choose, but a 9v9 in a pub is a little...silly. Outta those 9 slots, you're going to have at least 3 people who wanna play Spy/Sniper, meaning you're going to be down a class you really need.

4% APR

Smash Champion
yeah for real, you just can't get away from people who feel the need to go spy or sniper. i've been down to our last point on fastlane, and my team still thinks we need 3+ snipers, and then they wonder why we lose

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Several times when I'm playing on dustbowl we get destroyed on the second CP on the second stage because of the other team's 6 sentries. Then when it's our turn to defend that point, I end up being the only engy and we lose horribly. How come people don't realize that engy spam wins for defense?

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Engie spam wins defense if the other team is completely incompetent. Any decent semi coordinated offense takes down Engie spam easily. Of course I say that as an experienced Soldier, and as a Demo I **** sentries all day. Dustbowl 2-2 is a field day for the Demoman, most common sentry spots can be taken down in a matter of seconds.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Thing is, it's hard to have a decent semi-coordinated team in pubs.

To take down a sentry farm, you need 2 uber Demomen with the rest of the team not being pathetic and backing them up. People can fight the airblasting Pyros and teammates slowing the uber down, can take "extra" shots while the sentries are targetting the uber, a Spy may sap one of the Sentries to give some opening to the rest of the team. Even a Scout with bonk can distract sentries.
People in pubs tend to not go Medic or absolutely suck with him [not going for cover, heading in front, not switching ubers to whomever is getting beat down, staying stuck to one target instead of rapidly switching between them]. Soldiers tend to suck in pubs, they aim for the opponent instead of the feet [admittedly, my Soldier is worse in pubs, I need to not RJ at all and just practice aim. My entire Soldier strats rely on a good Medic]. That, and they're pathetic that they don't go behind the uber and back them up. Whenever I'm ubered I'm going at it alone, and while sometimes I ****, if I mess up we are dead.

Top Bottom