• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Demoman and Pyro ftw in TF2.
Spy for me. There's nothing cooler than walking right up to a guy on the oposing side looking like a medic then shooting him in the head with a shotgun. <3 <3

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Mic_128 said:
Spy for me. There's nothing cooler than walking right up to a guy on the oposing side looking like a medic then shooting him in the head with a shotgun. <3 <3
Knife to the face seems more satisfying, though it won't kill them in one hit. I'm hoping they don't take out any of the advanced techniques, such as conc jumping. Otherwise, the game wouldn;t be as interesting.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
apparently something similar to the counter strike incident happened. Some guys were working on a mod to add portals to the game and valve was so impressed that they hired them. Theres a beta of the mod they were working on floating around the internets. Havent tried it out myself

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
A bunch of clips from the Leipzig Games Convention have been uploaded for viewing. They're leaked (since they have not been officially released by Valve to the general public), so watch them...needless to say, SPOILERS WILL BE IN THESE VIDEOS. And I obviously don't claim credit for finding them...

Half-Life 2: Episode Two (five parts):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Portals
Gameplay footage

Team Fortress 2
Demonstrations of classes

Enjoy and discuss.

8-bit hacker

Smash Cadet
apparently something similar to the counter strike incident happened. Some guys were working on a mod to add portals to the game and valve was so impressed that they hired them. Theres a beta of the mod they were working on floating around the internets. Havent tried it out myself
It's actually diffrent from the Counter-Strike incident. Some guys that goto a special school that is right across the street from Valve made a game that was made up of portals and a little girl. It was called Narbacular Drop and it's over here:
http://www.digipen.edu/main/Gallery_Games_2004

Scroll down the page a bit to find it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Actually, it was students from Digipen, which is across the street from Nintendo of America headquarters in Redmond, WA. But yeah. The new videos of Portal and Team Fortress 2 are amazing, really want them now. Unfortunately, Valve announced that Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (and since these games come with it, them too) has been delayed till February 2007...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Actually, it was students from Digipen, which is across the street from Nintendo of America headquarters in Redmond, WA. But yeah. The new videos of Portal and Team Fortress 2 are amazing, really want them now. Unfortunately, Valve announced that Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (and since these games come with it, them too) has been delayed till February 2007...
Last I heard, it was 1st quarter of 2007, but same thing I guess. And the price has also been planned to be more than $20 this time. I think they said maybe around $30 or so, but still less than the $50 price of HL2 when it first came out, which is pretty good for three different games.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Valve announced that Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (and since these games come with it, them too) has been delayed till February 2007...
That brings the TF2 delay time up to 9 years. Good job guys, keep setting the bar higher.

Honestly I doubt it will even be $30. I am saying $40 because HL2: Ep. 2 is going to be a much larger game than HL2:Ep 1. Add Portals and TF2 and those alone are worth $20 each (TF 2 has the same set-up as CS:S and that's $20). Portals maybe $10. So you still save money but don't ever plan to see an HL expansion episode less than $30 - $40 again.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That brings the TF2 delay time up to 9 years. Good job guys, keep setting the bar higher.
Duke Nukem Forever anyone? This game has become a computer game myth if anything...:dizzy:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sorry for the double post, but new clips on IGN.com. The first is a new one while the third is an extended version of another clip showing off a new toy to defeat Striders. Once again, obvious spoilers in the clips.
G-Man returns?! And looks like the Combine are preparing for a long war...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The G-Man wasn't dead or anything. He was in Episode 1 just held captive. The combine were playing the war in HL2, so neither are really spoilers.

I kinda wish we could get the ultra grav gun for longer spans. I loved that gun.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I own the whole set of original Half-Life games, but I never really enjoyed HL1 so I never got HL2. A friend of mine recently bought me the Source Premier Pack, simply so I can play online with him, so I finally had a go at HL2, and I am super impressed. Even after 2 years, I would consider this game to be the prettiest thing I have played. Perhaps it's not quite as advanced as some games, but it's just so **** polished and perfect, and the art direction is great. I still have Episode 1 to keep me busy for now...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It was in the trailer, mic.

While talking about Valve, does the Ship look good for anyone?

I

i8waffles612

is this the official half life thread??

anyways is half life 2 and half life 2: episode one the same exact thing or no??

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No. Episode 1 is basically the expansion pack. Though calling it an episode is really loose as episodic typically means they have a set scheduled release, no once every two years.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So Sir James said HL2:Ep 2 (and Portals and TF2) is coming out in October. IS this true? And if so, whre's the source? I needs me Freeman/G-Man/portals/Awesome multiplayer Fix. :)

Sir James

The Doctor
So Sir James said HL2:Ep 2 (and Portals and TF2) is coming out in October. IS this true? And if so, whre's the source? I needs me Freeman/G-Man/portals/Awesome multiplayer Fix. :)
Yep, source right here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/15/half-life-2-episode-two-portal-team-fortress-2-shipping-octob/

Also in other news: apparently Valve has some big TF2 news for us on Tuesday. Do you think we'll get TF2 early if we preorder the Orange Box via Steam? Valve let us play CS Source when we preordered Half Life 2 a few years ago.

source:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130182\

Sir James

The Doctor
Portal! Portal! Not Portals!
OBJECTION!

Maybe he stated that he wanted to play with portals, as in the plural form of portal? "I need a fix of portals" would still be correct, since these portals can be found in Portal. It is a game of many portals. One who needs a fix of portals would thus play with portals in Portal.

....LOL...sorry, i'm done :psycho::grin:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The P was not capitalised, making James correct. I meant portals, not the game.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The P was not capitalised, making James correct. I meant portals, not the game.
Actually, I was referring to the first time you referenced it, making you wrong and Sir James wrong.

You say "Portals" twice, I went ahead and bolded the first time you say it so you can easily see.

PORTAL. http://www.whatistheorangebox.com/portal.html PORTAL.

Sir James

The Doctor
Actually, I was referring to the first time you referenced it, making you wrong and Sir James wrong.

You say "Portals" twice, I went ahead and bolded the first time you say it so you can easily see.

PORTAL. http://www.whatistheorangebox.com/portal.html PORTAL.
lol ok ok...the defense rests -_-

Big news tomorrow! I'm expecting a TF2 early release. I've been waiting for this sequel for almost 6 years. I can't wait any longer!!!

EDIT: Preorder Half Life 2 Orange Box through Steam and play TF2 starting September 17th!!!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The achievements for the 360 version were discovered today, too. Pretty good achievements, they look like they'll be fun to get. Some games just do them so wrong, but some games, so right. And then some games there's some "Alright! That was cool!" achievements along with some "WTF is this bull****?!" achievements.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Has it been revealed if you can buy just TF2, Episode 2, and Portal separately?

If not, then I am not buying it for a while. $50 for 2 games I already own? Nah.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Yes, you can. Episode 2 for 30, Portal for 20, and Team Fortress 2 for 30. So even if you do own HL2 and Episode 1, its still not a bad deal. And you get to send your extra copy of HL2 and Episode 1 as a gift for someone special.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yes, you can. Episode 2 for 30, Portal for 20, and Team Fortress 2 for 30. So even if you do own HL2 and Episode 1, its still not a bad deal. And you get to send your extra copy of HL2 and Episode 1 as a gift for someone special.
The ****? That pricing is ridiculous. $20 for Portal? $30 FOR TF2? Wow, that's a ****ing scam. I guess I'll buy the Orange Box and waste less money that way. ****ing Valve.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just wait and see what the non-steam bought pack is. I'm willing to bet it'll be better.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Team Fortress 2 beta starts tomorrow for those who already pre-purchased it. :)

Sir James

The Doctor
Just wait and see what the non-steam bought pack is. I'm willing to bet it'll be better.
Are you refering to the retail box version? It's going to be the same thing.

Also, is anyone going to be playing TF2 tomorrow? We'll have to exchange Steam names so we can pwn some noobs.

Top Bottom