• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hacking community.. help!!??

TwoKnubs

Smash Rookie
I was told the hacking community may be my best place rather than melee itself, here is my post:

To keep it simple I'm going to paste an email I sent to someone who I thought could help me but I have had no response yet and am hoping this thread may spread enough to reach someone, or someone who knows someone who think they may be able to help this special case: Please read...(bare i mind I took into account he may not know what Melee is)

My name is Phil. I am 28 years old and I live in New Jersey. I have a disability that has bounded me to a wheelchair and severely limits my ability to use my hands 'properly'. While doing tons and tons of research over an obstacle I'm trying to overcome, I came upon your name and then searched to find your website to contact you.

I (still) love playing video games with my friends. To be more particular, Super Smash Brothers Melee. It is a competitive game that we all have gone to multiple tournaments for and enjoy.

While I seem to amaze people that I still am able to compete at such a high level, I find myself wondering how much fun it would be to have the playing field leveled.

There are triggers on the Gamecube controller (L and R) that I simply cannot operate, therefore eliminating my ability to perform advanced maneuvers(i.e., teching and wavedashing). I have compensated the best I can by doing what my friends call 'being annoying', but that can only take me so far.

I don't know the correct terms here, but I was hoping to find out if it would be possible to change the button mappings on one of these controllers. A simple button swap would make a world of difference. The problem may be though, that one of the buttons is a trigger, and it's function is only activated when fully pressed.

My dream Gamecube controller would be replacing the function of the L-trigger(fully pressed) with the Y button.

I hope that you get the chance to at least read this email and I appreciate that you took the time to.

Thank you so much,

-Phil

If anybody out there, anybody, thinks they or someone they know might be able to help me, it would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for reading this in hopes of it spreading.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it be more useful to have a modded controller. What exactly is the problem? If it's that you can't press them down fast enough you could remove the spring from the triggers or something like that.

TwoKnubs

Smash Rookie
It's not that I can't press them down fast enough, I cannot press them all the way past that 'bump' before it's fully pressed. I guess I don't realize the amount of difficulty it would be to make what I'm describing.

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
I can help. I merely need a bit of clarification, he wants a fully pressed L button (the analogue part and the digital part) to be on the Y button instead?

This is an old circuit that we portablizers use, it allowed us to use normal buttons/tact switches/whatever for shoulder buttons(which are hard to implement in custom cases.)

Swapping everything around would merely require this to be wired up within the controller, and the data/GND traces to the Y button cut and wired to this instead.

I have all the components, if you ship me the controller(I assume it's a 1st party nintendo one 'cause that's all I've worked with) I can do it for the price of shipping back.

Contact me at -redacted- and we can talk from there.

SS

Kadano

Magical Express
Here's the final product I worked up for the guy.
That’s amazing! I’ve been thinking recently that it would be much better to map either the Y or X button to a different button that I can reach with my index, middle or ring finger, so I can jump with a finger I don’t need for attack inputs. My plan was to drill a hole into where the right hand’s ring finger is normally resting and install a button there that I then connect to the X button. This would be really complicated, so your solution makes me want to do the opposite and make the L trigger function as an X button. Could you maybe create a diagram on which solder points need to be connected and which need to be intercepted (so that L only does X input and not L)?

Top Bottom