• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gun Violence

Peacelover87

Smash Rookie
I'm getting really sick and tired of guns. I hate them. They cause so much pain and suffering and kill so many innocent people. I'm against any violence in general ( I'm a hippie without the drugs and crazy sex lol ) but I hate guns more than anything. Why, last night in a city that's not too far from my own, a nine year old girl was shot and killed by a stray bullet right in front of her own home. A nine year old girl. My god. What is this world coming to? Children aren't even safe in front of their own homes anymore. It's frickin ridiculous.

What are your thoughts on guns? What can we do to prevent so many deaths? Will the violence ever stop?

I don't really want this to be a debate. I mostly want to know your reactions to what happened and what you think.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Dude, violence will never stop. Even if we were to abolish guns, there probably wouldn't be a huge drop in the murder rate. If someone wants someone dead, they'll kill them. That simple.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Dude, violence will never stop. Even if we were to abolish guns, there probably wouldn't be a huge drop in the murder rate. If someone wants someone dead, they'll kill them. That simple.
Exactly. no way to improve upon that statement.

People will kill people no matter how they have to do it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You ban guns, only those who follow the law will be unarmed. You actively destroy all guns, people will have knives. Actively destroy all knives, and we have sticks and rocks.

Human beings are the sickest, most twisted animal on the planet capable of destruction beyond comprehension. Guns do not kill people; people kill people. Guns just accelerate the process.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Human beings are the sickest, most twisted animal on the planet capable of destruction beyond comprehension. Guns do not kill people; people kill people. Guns just accelerate the process.
Well sure our species is technically the most "evil," but it's a stupid thing to point out because we have no competition: no other animal has the mental faculties to be "evil." You're basically saying "intelligence is evil."

Just as humans are able to take pleasure in hurting others, they are also able to take pleasure in helping others. We've made bombs and guns, but we've also made vaccines and medicines. Animals don't nuke each other, but they also don't die of old age--the weak, the ill, the aging are all weeded out of the population via either predators or starvation. Humans, on the other hand, are predisposed to care for anyone old or sick, sacrificing some of their own well-being to altruistically help others--a rarity in the animal kingdom.

If you compared "evil" acts that are actually analogous in other animals, you'll find we're all pretty much the same. ****, for example, is just as common among animals physically capable of ****. Jealousy is also common--males of many species will viciously attack, often to the death, any male that comes near his mate.

Did you know it's common in some species for the male, when taking a new female as a mate, to murder all of her children so that she would instead put all her time into raising his kids? It's normal. You can't freaking say that about us "sick, twisted" people.

You want to say that humans are twisted and sick when really all we are are mentally-advanced animals. Altruism and sadism can exist in huge doses in brains as big as ours. Focusing on just one end of that spectrum is ridiculously ignorant.

I wrote a lot because I keep seeing a lot of these "humans are so bad!" posts (I'm looking at you, Mic) in the PRoom and my eyes just couldn't take the rolling anymore.

As for guns I agree with those first 3 posts. The Bad Guys are going to get guns no matter what, so the Good Guys should be able to protect themselves, even if it means making things more convenient for the Bad Guys. I'm not too sure about handguns, though, since what use are they besides killing people? You don't hunt with them.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
You ban guns, only those who follow the law will be unarmed. You actively destroy all guns, people will have knives. Actively destroy all knives, and we have sticks and rocks.

Statements like these piss me off.
Sure, people kill people. Sure, guns only accelerate the process...
THAT. IS. BULL****.

You can RUN from a knife, you can RUN from a stick or a rope and dodge rocks. To be able to master a sword and have a high kill rate you have to go through years of training. Do you have to do that with a gun? Hell no. Do you think the same incident with that nine year old girl would have happened with a knife? You would have to be stupid on several different levels.

If that dude would have gone to Virginia tech with a knife he'd probably at most kill one or injure three people before the police came and party-vanned on his ***. With a gun he was able to kill over twenty ****ing people. If you think he could have killed as much people with a stick you must be stupid. If he would have come with a sword many people's LIVES would have been saved. I say the same for about anything else.

And you know what else pisses me off? Guess where all the drug trafficants in Mexico get their guns and cause havoc in Latin America? Oh yeah IT'S THE UNITED STATES with their lax gun controls laws. So many people have lost their fathers and brothers and family members to those laws - or lack of them meanwhile gun manufacturers become millionaires and spread "PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE" propaganda.

So don't give me that "people kill people" bull****, because that's what it is; BULL****.

Sure, guns don't kill people - the guy holding the gun does and it's the same ****.

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
Bourbonnais IL||I consider myself competent. AIM:
NOTE OF MORBIDITY: Without violence, think of how overpopulated the world would be.

And Crimson King, this sounds bizarre, but your intelligence is...well astonishing. If you ever post in a stupid manner, I have yet to see it you terrifying thing you.

I give you a cookie, good sir.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Some people I know carry guns its real dumb, like this time I went to some party and some boy we know creeped up behind my friends and put the gun to his head as a joke but it was empty. I dont get involved in it but in my situation I find its best to know the people who are involved as they wont start it with you. I've been in a few situations where if I didn't know one of the people something could have happen to me but overall I think its dumb and they are banned anyway and I have no idea how they get them but I know areas where you can buy them for like £50 which aint alot which means they are easy to acquire. Too much violence going on.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
THAT. IS. BULL****.
I have never seen a gun get up, walk to a persons home, shoot them, and leave. Evidently, you have.

You can RUN from a knife, you can RUN from a stick or a rope and dodge rocks. To be able to master a sword and have a high kill rate you have to go through years of training. Do you have to do that with a gun? Hell no. Do you think the same incident with that nine year old girl would have happened with a knife? You would have to be stupid on several different levels.
No, no, no. If someone is robbing you, you won't have the distance to run. The second you make a move; they will stab you. Same will happen with a sword. Yes, the same incident WILL happen with a child who plays with knives. It's pretty ignorant to say otherwise.

If that dude would have gone to Virginia tech with a knife he'd probably at most kill one or injure three people before the police came and party-vanned on his ***. With a gun he was able to kill over twenty ****ing people. If you think he could have killed as much people with a stick you must be stupid. If he would have come with a sword many people's LIVES would have been saved. I say the same for about anything else.
And how would police have stopped him? By yelling at him? Remember, if they have guns, he can get guns too.

And you know what else pisses me off? Guess where all the drug trafficants in Mexico get their guns and cause havoc in Latin America? Oh yeah IT'S THE UNITED STATES with their lax gun controls laws. So many people have lost their fathers and brothers and family members to those laws - or lack of them meanwhile gun manufacturers become millionaires and spread "PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE" propaganda.
For the millionth time, Gun laws only protect law abiding citizens. The people who intend to murder, rob, or **** with a firearm will do it whether the guns are illegal or not. It's pretty ignorant to assume they will automatically start following the law because guns are illegal. If anything, they will feel more inclined to take the crime further because if they get caught, they will go to jail for a long time.

So don't give me that "people kill people" bull****, because that's what it is; BULL****.

Sure, guns don't kill people - the guy holding the gun does and it's the same ****.
How is it the same? Cars statistically kill more people accidentally than guns, knives, and drugs. Why don't you outlaw them too because, by your logic, the driver didn't run over the kid, the car did.

Amide

Smash Lord
I guess it's hard to have an opinion on this, because only people close to people hat have been killed by guns know what it fees like. The most pro gun person in the world would quickly change their mind after seeing what guns can do in the wrong hands.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
THAT. IS. BULL****.

I think I'm going to change my avatar now just so that people don't confuse me with you.

Like CK said, if guns exist, bad guys will have them. If guns don't exist, bad guys will MAKE them.

Killing someone will always have a worse penalty than carrying an illegal weapon- if somebody wants to kill somebody, they're assuming they won't get caught, or don't care about the consequences, so they'll carry a gun anyways.

orintemple

Smash Lord
The easiest way to get rid of violence would be to...

eliminate the human race.

Although that probably wouldn't help us too much now would it. We could always go the "brainwash all people" way so no one would be able to be violent.

Seriously, violence can't end. It is super dumb but people have been killing each other for ever. I am sure there was way more violence and death and killing on the streets in the middle ages then there is now.

It is true that guns are easier to kill with, but I don't think outlawing guns would change much. Mind you, I would be all for it, I just don't think it would work that well. Except maybe a few random missed drive-bys killing the 3 year old on the couch.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm getting really sick and tired of guns. I hate them. They cause so much pain and suffering and kill so many innocent people. I'm against any violence in general ( I'm a hippie without the drugs and crazy sex lol ) but I hate guns more than anything. Why, last night in a city that's not too far from my own, a nine year old girl was shot and killed by a stray bullet right in front of her own home. A nine year old girl. My god. What is this world coming to? Children aren't even safe in front of their own homes anymore. It's frickin ridiculous.

What are your thoughts on guns? What can we do to prevent so many deaths? Will the violence ever stop?

I don't really want this to be a debate. I mostly want to know your reactions to what happened and what you think.
I haven't never seen so much fail in one post.

Get over it. We kill people. Boohoo. You know what? It's a good thing. Yes, murders, wars, famines, and all that bull**** are good things. Why? We're getting near overpopulation! We need more and more of the world's natural resources daily. We need all that crap so much that if we continue to grow at the rate we currently are, that we won't have anything to build homes out of soon.

Banning guns? Sure, lets hurt the economy even more. Who cares if we gas could still be two dollars a gallon if the economy didn't suck so badly right now. Apparently you don't.

Guns are big business. Attempting to outlaw them would only get more money to mafia, gangs, and other criminal organizations. Outlawing guns would do so much more harm than good.

Peacelover87

Smash Rookie
First of I believe that this post should be moved to the debate section. I didn't really necessarily want it to be much of a debate. I mostly wanted thoughts and reaction to the incident that happened but whatever, a debate is fine with me.

For those that are saying that death is a good thing, explain to me how an innocent little nine year old girl getting shot in the back and killed is a good thing. If you want to start seeing people die to deal with the "over population" then how about we start with some prisoners and other menaces to society. There's plenty of those and they are no use to us. It costs way to much money to keep all these people in prison so how about we take them out. There, that'll help the economy a little and bring down the population. There's no way in hell a child being killed for no reason is a good thing.

And yes, things would be better with guns banned. Violence will still be going on but it won't be as bad as it is with guns. The death rate will go down by a lot. It's really hard to kill someone with a knife unless you're lucky enough to stab them in a vital spot right away or you can completely over power them. It's much easier to survive a knife attack than a shot. And like someone else said, if a horrible incident happened to you gun supporters watch how quickly your opinions would change.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
First of I believe that this post should be moved to the debate section. I didn't really necessarily want it to be much of a debate. I mostly wanted thoughts and reaction to the incident that happened but whatever, a debate is fine with me.

For those that are saying that death is a good thing, explain to me how an innocent little nine year old girl getting shot in the back and killed is a good thing. If you want to start seeing people die to deal with the "over population" then how about we start with some prisoners and other menaces to society. There's plenty of those and they are no use to us. It costs way to much money to keep all these people in prison so how about we take them out. There, that'll help the economy a little and bring down the population. There's no way in hell a child being killed for no reason is a good thing.
Not saying I agree with them, but one benefit is she won't be getting ***** later on in life. Overpopulation actually causes A LOT of problems for everyone. Basically, at our current rate, we will starve to death.

And yes, things would be better with guns banned. Violence will still be going on but it won't be as bad as it is with guns. The death rate will go down by a lot. It's really hard to kill someone with a knife unless you're lucky enough to stab them in a vital spot right away or you can completely over power them. It's much easier to survive a knife attack than a shot. And like someone else said, if a horrible incident happened to you gun supporters watch how quickly your opinions would change.
If someone is stabbing you with the intent to harm or even kill you, they won't stab once. Most murders by knives involve multiple, painful stab wounds. As for violence dropping, can I buy the weed you are smoking? You honestly believe all criminals who are currently armed will surrender their firearms? All they will do is be more inclined to kill whoever gets in their way OR sees them because now they will be in jail for ANOTHER crime. On top of that, now all criminals will know there is an even better chance of someone not being armed.

Your final statement is laughable. No, if I know someone who is the victim of a crime or accident involving a weapon, I will not become ignorant. That's like saying if I know someone who was killed in a car accident, I will realize how awful cars are. The fact is they are inanimate objects that we decide to use in wrong and harmful ways.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord

BULL****.
Well you obviously don't know jack about our gun laws. As a matter of fact have you ever seen one of those "drug trafficants" carrying a 240? How about an M14? Or maybe even an MP5? Do you even know how hard expensive and difficult it is for us Americans to get those weapons legally? These weapons can cost upwards of $10,000. Illegally it's even more expensive. It's so much easier and cheaper for those "drug trafficants" to get a Russian made AK47 or AK74u or even the Israeli Uzi . AKs can be found for merely a few hundred dollars.

This kid got one no problem

Back in the day Russia would throw AKs and munitions at any nation that said the opposed the US. There are hundreds of THOUSANDS of these unregistered high-powered riffles floating around because of this. MILLIONS have died from the 7.62 round fired from the AK47. So yes blame the United States for all the violence in the world. Just give us a call when the next world war starts we'll be glad to help save your ***. Just pray u dont have oil because we will exploit the hell out of you. AMURICA! (Spelled the way it's spoken)

Gun violence will ALWAYS exist no matter what laws you pass. If the US was to completely ban all firearms then that opens up a hot market for people to smuggle foreign weapons into our country. Great, now the civilians are completely unprotected from those who truly wish to do harm. The best way to improve day to day violence is to help address poverty and education. Those who are well off tend to not commit such malicious crimes.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Gun violence will ALWAYS exist no matter what laws you pass. If the US was to completely ban all firearms then that opens up a hot market for people to smuggle foreign weapons into our country. Great, now the civilians are completely unprotected from those who truly wish to do harm. The best way to improve day to day violence is to help address poverty and education. Those who are well off tend to not commit such malicious crimes.
Well said.

+1

=o)

Top Bottom