• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guitar Hero I & II

_kSo_

Smash Master
Hey, I'm just going to start off with a few thoughts to get some discussion started about one of the greatest games ever to evolve out of DDR!

Guitar Hero II is better than Guitar Hero I. IMO because of the hammer-ons in the first one that are simply so hard to hit. Granted, they are possible but they just have to be hit so precisely, and the second one they made hammer-ons and pull-offs much easier.

My favorite songs in Guitar Hero II are Jessica, Less Talk More Rokk, Six, Free Bird, Monkey Wrench, Who was in my room last night?, Laid to Rest, Woman, and YYZ.

oh i just accomplished something that had been a personal goal for a while: I got over 400,000 on Monkey Wrench! :) I kept screwing up on stupid stuff but randomly one day i was like, ok i'll play monkey wrench as a warm-up song and then all of a sudden I realized that I had gotten like 390,000 and I wasnt finished yet! yea it was quite awesome!

UPDATE
New FC - LTMR :)
365k on Hanger 18
275k on Jordan
225k on Misirlou

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Holy **** man, my friends and I are almost obsessed with Guitar Hero I and II. In fact, one of my friends spent about 250 bone on a PS2, both games, and two wireless guitars. I'm not the best on Expert (I'm in the middle of our group), but they all recognize me as the Medium king, mainly because I rarely miss a note at that level.

I never really knew what a hammer-on was or how to do it until my friend told me what it is. I still haven't had the chance to try it though, since I don't have the game myself.

I'm just gonna change this into an overall Guitar Hero discussion topic, though, since I love both games. My favorite songs are Cheat on the Church (bonus song on I, so incredibly fun to play), Take Me Out, Ziggy Stardust, and Get Ready to Rokk (just because it's so ridiculous) from I. From II my favorite songs are Message in a Bottle, Killing in the Name, Jessica, Free Bird (of course!), Trogdor, and Jordan (because it's just too ridiculous.

If you want to see some insane Guitar Hero skills, hit up YouTube and search whatever song you want and difficulty (expert is usually the most ridiculous to watch). Some of these guys are just freaky.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I got it for Christmas and have been obsessing over it ever since. Funny you should make this thread just after I finally beat GH2 on Hard. With that accomplishment out of the way for now, I have my eyes set on that 500,000 point Free Bird.

I have no words other than, "I love this game."

Oh, and of course, my favorites:
-Free Bird
-Jordan
-Jessica
-Killing in the Name
-Cherry Pie
-Sweet Child O' Mine

Wuss

Smash Champion
I have only played it at local Best Buys, but I love playing it!!! I started out on medium, but I worked my way up to Expert now and I love it. It is soo much fun!!! I like "shout at the devil" myself...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'd hold off on even considering the original game for PS2. There's going to be downloadable content for the 360 version, and right now they're saying that all the songs from the original game are gonna be in a pack to download. Love playing the game on PS2 at my friend's houses, can't wait till it comes out for the 360 in early Spring.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I brought my copy to a party once and this guy was beating all the people there (granted none of them played much) and would get off so I said I'd play him then winner stays like he was doing.

We did "Beast and the Harlot" and it was dead tie until the last solo when he flinched and I won it. The entire house was cheering. It was pretty funny.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My friend had just picked up Guitar Hero II the other day, and me and my other three friends went to his house...

We had this huge day planned out, but Guitar Hero totally stole it from us. We played a little bit, and before we knew it, it was too late to do anything.

The only ones I remember playing were Heart Shaped Box and Freebird.

But yeah, we played it for a long time. You can tell that you play too much that when the song ends, your eyes still see the motion of the 'sheet music' thing when you look off the TV screen.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guitar Hero 2 is sex in a disc.

I don't understand why people have trouble with Expert, I guess I'm just gifted O_o

The feeling that I got when I looked in the manual for II and saw "Trogdor" in the credits was the best.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Yea took some effort for me to make the jump from medium to hard. IMO i think it's the hardest jump to make. After I mastered most of the songs on hard, expert became pretty easy to switch to. I can get over 95% on most songs on expert. I'm not the best [yet] but I think i'm pretty good :-P

*EDIT*
And yes, guitar hero II is sex in a disc

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Guitar Hero is cool, but it's also another example of how Sony is copying Nintendo. Nintendo first came out with the DK Bongos, and Sony basically said, "OK, how can we make this cooler?" Everybody wants to play guitar, so that's what they did.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Guitar Hero is cool, but it's also another example of how Sony is copying Nintendo. Nintendo first came out with the DK Bongos, and Sony basically said, "OK, how can we make this cooler?" Everybody wants to play guitar, so that's what they did.

Hmmm...sounds a bit fanboyish....

I've played this gane.....favorite songs is definitely yyz! Hope it's coming to wii its the only one I can afford)!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Red Octane got the idea from Guitaroo man which is a Japanese Guitar game. It has nothing similar to Donkey Konga because where Donkey Konga uses really simplistic controls and song, Guitar Hero uses less mainstream songs and much harder rhythms. Get out of your shell.

Anyone know when/if Guitar Hero 3 will be out? I'm hoping soon in case my guitar isn't compatible with my PS3. On a side note, I know the 360 MIGHT be wired and it has USB so it could work. *crosses fingers*

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm responding with an "eh" to that. 80's music (mainstream) sucked, like the 80s. If they do some of the then underground stuff then it could be fun.

Red Octane hasn't announced a PS3 version yet, though I guess they rather focus on the console with the largest fan base first.

Cashed: With GH2, I know you can download all the songs from the first, but will they have newer songs as well that wasn't on either? How will pricing be done?

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Osco316 said:
Guitar Hero is not made by Sony. There are many, many predecessors to this game and (shockingly) Nintendo was not the first to come out with a rhythm game.
You are correct. I apologize. Samba de Amigo for the Dreamcast used maracas.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That looks pretty cool, though I am skeptical because GH1 and GH2 aren't yet playable on the PS3. A firmware upgrade in the future will make it happen though around March.

Here's hoping.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I've played GH II a couple times, and I was a little dissapointed with the song selection for it. There is a lot of stuff that can be amazing on that game, like some alternative rock or emo. Some songs that would be deserving:

1) Thursday - Understanding In A Car Crash
2) Senses Fail - Still Searching
3) Atreyu - Shameful
4) Bullet For My Valentine - Room 409
5) Underoath - Your Ever So Inviting

Other than those, the game was great. Also, I was really happy to see Dethklok get on.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Emo would get smashed by the metal community. I hate all things emo and I am no where near as hardcore as some of the major metal heads. That's what Guitar Hero is, a game for metal and hard rock (with some mixed in classics).

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Metal is awesome, I agree. But there are good emo / screamo bands that deserve a chance in the GH series. What I would like to do is even the spread. There can be classics, emo alternative, hard rock, and metal. There just has to be more diversity. And if you don't believe emo isn't good enough for GH II, listen to the songs i listed. You'll see differently.

Ronike

Smash Ace
GHII is possibly the greatest (rythym) game EVAR! I've been playing since christmas, and I just managed to make the button jump from medium to hard, now to just get better at the rythyms :) On another note, my favorite songs are:
1. Sweet Child O' Mine (just kinda did it one day and realized I liked it. I can now almost 100% it in expert)
2. Beast and the Harlot
3. Less Talk More Rokk
4. Message in a Bottle
5. Trogdor

On yet another not, i was bored yesterday and for whatever reason started looking up GH vids. Guess what I found? Custom songs! Some are pretty sweet (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and School of Rock theme were my favorites), but some are just Uber hard (the two dragon force ones I found in particular were uber: Through the Flames and Fire and Fury of the Storm) And if you dont believe me, watch the vids.

F8X

Smash Ace
Got some news on Guitar Hero guys
"It seems as though Guitar Hero publisher Harmonix will not develop the next installment of Guitar Hero. Instead that honor would fall in the hands of Tony Hawk Pro Skater developer, Neversoft. An inside tip has confirmed this as well as the Neversoft home page, which shows them hiring for Guitar Hero. Now the big question is why?"
http://www.2old2play.com/News/Neversoft_Takes_Over_Guitar_Hero_3
http://www.2old2play.com/News/Neversoft_Takes_Over_Guitar_Hero_3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You actually put videos of you playing a simulation guitar? That's a bit odd.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, the difference with say Smash is Smash is more of just beating a person by any means necessary. The videos are to show how they created a style to beat someone. With Guitar Hero and DDR, there is a certain way to do it and that's it. There isn't a way to do it differently than you are supposed to.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Either way, you're showing your achievement. I've searched through YouTube before and been impressed by people getting 5-Stars on "Jordan" on Expert. I don't see why Guitar Hero would be less acceptable for videos simply because there's less room for innovation.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
About the 360 Guitar Hero, just download some Godsmack, Black Sabboth, and Trogdor the Burninator and I'm set for life.

About GHII...

I got my great-aunt....that's right I said GREAT-AUNT to play it along with the rest of my family. My second cousin though could do like all the songs on Expert it was crazy crazy stuff. Taking turns on Guitar Hero was a great Chrismas Night spent.

So let's review, I got my great-aunt to play two player against my grandma and my entire family played it! Guitar Hero I/II= Games for all

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Got my eyeball and battle axe tonight!

Cashed, did you pick up GH2360 yet?

And everybody, check out scorehero.com.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i was just playing guitar hero 2 and i was on smashboards at the same time and decided to check the light house for a guitar hero thread and here it is. well i'm here to say i've five starred every single song on expert except

-Jordan
-Six
-Misirlou

has anyone fivestarred these songs on expert? we all know those are the 3 hardest songs in the game lol (maybe not to complete but to 5 star yes) lol

_kSo_

Smash Master
good job, its a hard game to get good at. Takes practice...

In any case I've 5-starred every song (free bird was surprisingly easy to 5star...) except jordan, misirlou, rock this town, institutionalized, and i think another random song lol.

I 5 starred six recently (with a scorehero.com top 100 high score, i might add :) ):

[EDIT]
OH NO IM NOT IN THE TOP 100 WITH THAT SCORE ANYMORE :( this is tragic news...

Ronike

Smash Ace
Freebird is easy due to the long and easy intro which gives you a reasonable amount of points.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yes, I did pick up GH2 for the 360 and I've been having a ton of fun with it. Taking a break the last two days though because my hands hurt wayyy too much when I play. I'm pretty terrible at the game, so I can barely play Hard. I've five starred everything on Easy and Medium, getting me some nifty achievements (woo)! Woman proved to be the first trouble on Hard, with huuuuge HO/PO sections.

The 360 exclusive songs are great, I'm a big fan of Possum Kingdom by Toadies and surprisingly enough, Dead! by My Chemical Romance (omfg wtf) is one of my favorite songs to play in the game.

Yesterday RedOctane released 9 Guitar Hero 1 songs for download over the XBL Marketplace. 500 points for 3 songs (they come in packs of 3). Rip offffff. I refuse to buy them until they lower the price.

Also, no need for Score Hero with the XBL Leaderboards!

_kSo_

Smash Master
Freebird is easy due to the long and easy intro which gives you a reasonable amount of points.
yea lol. way back when i was still on hard, the hype about free bird was killing me but the first time i played it on expert i 4-starred it and maybe one more time after that, but after 2 times 4-starring it, i was able to continuously 5-star it lol.

Top Bottom