• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guilty as Charged -- Theory Stuff

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking earlier about how terrible Ness' shield pressure seems to be. So I was wondering how to pressure shields as Ness. I feel as though Ness doesn't really have many moves other than Fair to really pressure shields. In most cases grabs would be preferred, but as far as pressure other than grabs like if they are above or below you, what moves could pressure shields best. A good way that I have thought of would be if we simply control the space without necessarily throwing out moves, but it seems like it'd be tough to stay in a favorable position as Ness. Any thoughts guys? Any comments? Any hatred for theory Melee? Any "tell Double Helix he is wrong"s?

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
In any case, are there any ideas? Any sort of crossup is good because then you can't get shield grabbed. From there you can try to poke with a DJC bair. Aside from that and a JC grab after a crossup, nothing seems that good that comes to mind.

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
look, I'm not a pro, but I maybe could help, well I have the disposition to do it, so can you tell me what's your point or what do you want?

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I am mostly just looking to increase options is all. Right now the only options I seem to have when the opponent is shielding is to grab them or to double jump cancel the bair so low it shield pokes. It's fine if you can't help man. Ness is a fun character that I find rewarding and I want to try to push his metagame as far as possible.

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
another option would be give a very strong attack, like charged bat, to push him away and low his shield, what do you think?

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
the advantages would be that if he is near the edge he would fall from the stage and probably been edgeguard, That's my opinion.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
The disadvantages would be the fact that his strong attacks are bair, dair, fsmash, and pk flash. The thing all of those have in common (except bair when DJC'd) is they are slow and punishable. Plus shield pressure is generally just constantly keeping them in shield, making it hard for them to find an opening and lowering the shield in the process. A great example is Javi vs. Leffen at Apex 2013 (link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHASAeLV4CE

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
ok, I see, I'll see in my matches what works for shield pressure!! but yeah, I think it's not a strong point of ness the shield pressure.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Ness doesn't have good shield pressure, but he does have a lot of shield poking mechanics like PKT1, low DJC's Fairs and Bairs, Dtilt, etc. Especially when Ness is underneath a platform.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Ness doesn't have good shield pressure, but he does have a lot of shield poking mechanics like PKT1, low DJC's Fairs and Bairs, Dtilt, etc. Especially when Ness is underneath a platform.
Yeah. Shield pokes are very good as Ness, but sometimes shield pressure would be nice. Why can't everybody be top tier? =P Oh well, I have enough fun with Ness.

Top Bottom