• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide/Unofficial] How to install Project M for Dummies.

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
The only other thing I can think of right now is possibly file permissions/ownership, although I don't see how one file extracted to the same folder as another could get different permissions than the other file.
Yeah, I'm not sure as to why that is either, as all the other files got in quick and easy with no trouble whatsoever, and if I don't need that wifi file, I dunno. I'm gonna go with saying it's not permissions, but rather something else fishy going on that only happens to maps. I won't pay attention to the wifi file if I don't need it, I don't think I'll ever get the full set. If there's anything I can do to test out and experiment with just to see what happens, let me know, because I guess we're at a dead end at this point. I certainly didn't run out of space, there was room for a bunch more stuff.

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
UPDATE: I was able to get the maps onto the SD card and the wifi folder today, popped it into my wii, no results. I'm gonna start all over again and tell you how it goes.

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
I was able to get the maps onto the SD card and the wifi folder today for some reason, popped it into my wii, no results. I don't understand, I have all the things I'm supposed to have, along with all the things that aren't necessary. I'm gonna start all over from the beginning.

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
Alright, I officially have no clue what is happening. Everything went perfect this time, no transfer errors, no glitches, no missing files, everything was ok. Take the SD card out of my computer, put it in the wii, boot up SSBB, stage builder screen, nothing.

Samurai Jack

Smash Rookie
I'm having a hard time running Project M with the USB Loader GX. Do I need the homebrew version of PM? Everytime I try to run I get to the screen that has Project M at the top it either crashes or I press play and it goes back to the Wii System Menu. I own Brawl, but the disk drive recently broke. I borrowed a friend's hacked Wii to rip the ISO.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm having a hard time running Project M with the USB Loader GX. Do I need the homebrew version of PM? Everytime I try to run I get to the screen that has Project M at the top it either crashes or I press play and it goes back to the Wii System Menu. I own Brawl, but the disk drive recently broke. I borrowed a friend's hacked Wii to rip the ISO.
for USB loaders, you just need the PM files on your SD card, and the RSBE01.gct
then, when loading Brawl, you turn on Ocarina in Loader Settings, and it should load up into Project M instead of Brawl. If loading via a USB loader, it is impossible to use either the Stage Builder method or the PM launcher app, due to the absence of an actual disc.

or alternatively, you can use this tool to build an ISO of Project M, and just load that.

lordofhockey

Smash Rookie
I tried to build iso but it says missing patch/codehandler? what does that mean?
I am also having the issue of p.m. going back to homescreen every single time, i have tried 3 different sd cards now

Last edited:

lordofhockey

Smash Rookie
It means you're probably missing the code patch file. Try downloading the builder again.
I just tried downloading twice onto a different computer and now I keept getting WIT could not find a SSBB backup, please make sure, that you have an unscrubbed backup in this folder.
I'm not even sure if I need to build an iso but it sounded like the best option for booting straight from homebrew

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I just tried downloading twice onto a different computer and now I keept getting WIT could not find a SSBB backup, please make sure, that you have an unscrubbed backup in this folder.
I'm not even sure if I need to build an iso but it sounded like the best option for booting straight from homebrew
Where are you putting your Brawl ISO? It needs to be in the same folder as the BAT file.

lordofhockey

Smash Rookie
Where are you putting your Brawl ISO? It needs to be in the same folder as the BAT file.
Okay that works but now I can't move the iso over to the sd card since it says the file is too big. My SD card is 16 gb though.
Edit:nvm I am using a file splitter program

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
SD cards are generally formatted as FAT32 - the largest size file a FAT32 drive can hold is 4 GB, so a Brawl/PM ISO is going to be too big. You can split the files, but that doesn't always work. I'd recommend using a USB drive with a partition formatted as NTFS instead.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
For hackless (using the Stage Builder launching method), it won't work, since Brawl can't read cards bigger than 2 GB.

For homebrew, it should work as normal.

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
I have a micro SDHC Adapter. But I also have a 2GB mirco SD chip with PM on it. Could Project M still work on my Wii or Wii U or do I have to change the adapter?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
2 GB micro SD cards may still work, but are generally less reliable than regular SD cards. The adapter is just an adapter; it's the size of the card itself that matters.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah, the only cards I'd recommend are SD cards or SDHC cards, because they're generally much more reliable than a Micro-SD and can hold more in them; which means it can store stuff like other mods or modding tools (like how I have Project M on the same SD card as BrawlBox).

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
So what does it mean when it says "Boot.elf and /private/ have been removed since 3.5"?

Edit: Do both the sd card and file named "project m" have to have different names than project m, or just the sd card?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So what does it mean when it says "Boot.elf and /private/ have been removed since 3.5"?
It's incorrect; they're still included in the download, and should still be on your SD card in order for the hackless version to work. (it appears the OP is inactive, so we'll need a mod to change it.)

Edit: Do both the sd card and file named "project m" have to have different names than project m, or just the sd card?
The SD card should be named something other than "projectm"; the folder /projectm/ should remain as is.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Now I have a new problem. Now that the 3.6 beta is out, I tried to erase the 3.5 launcher and download the 3.6 launcher, but instead I just downloaded the 3.5 launcher.:urg:

Last edited:

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Hi. My issue is I downloaded the Homebrew fullset for Project M onto my SD card but since I also have Melee 20XX on it as well, it caused it to have an error when launching homebrew. Is there a way to fix this to have Project M load via Homebrew? I have a theory that it's mostly file arrangement on my SD card.

Player 3.0

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheWinner159
for hacked 3.6 do I just place everything in the sd card or do I put it in the apps file

PMQasar

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheDarkIsBlack
FOR
Troubleshooting:

I will try to cover as most problems PM has on install here, but I can't have a question and answer for every single problem, if your problem is not posted here, feel free to join us at the IRC (http://irc.lc/gamesurge/projectm), I normally frequent here but other members may help you out, just drop by for a question, to thank me, or to say hello! :)

Before reading or asking for help, read this:

1. Most of the fixes to PM are just to re-format your SD and to re-download (make sure your SDCard isn't PNY for hackless method).
2. It is recommended you delete all stages that you have on your game, even the ones Brawl comes included with.
3. SDHC cards don't work with hackless.
4. It has been noted that really old Wii's (really, really old) need to be updated to latest version to work with PM.
5. Make sure you extract the downloaded .zips to a folder, open that folder and copy everything inside to the root of your SD Card, if you're a homebrew user, it will ask you if you want to replace files, hit yes and proceed with installation.

Bring in the questions! The more questions I receive the more info I will have here.
EVERYONE THAT CANT GET THE HACKLESS BUILD
GO HERE: http://projectmirror.no-ip.org/
AND GET THE BUILD YOU WANT (1.0 - 3.6 beta)

Dat Aint Falco

Smash Cadet
So I'm trying to download project m 3.6 using the homebrew method. I downloaded the files, copied them to the root of my SD card but whenever I boot up project m it loads Brawl instead. Any help?

Narpas_sword

So I'm trying to download project m 3.6 using the homebrew method. I downloaded the files, copied them to the root of my SD card but whenever I boot up project m it loads Brawl instead. Any help?
Need more details to know what you've done wrong.

Usual suspects :
Check you're Ntsc region
Sd card unlocked
Sd card not named project m or similar
Sd card has contents of the homebrew folder on the root. Not the homebrew folder itself.

Dat Aint Falco

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the reply. It's a Kingston 4gb class 4 SDHC card. I've done some research and supposedly class 4 cards aren't very good at running Project M. The disc says NTSC on it, SD card is formatted and unlocked, It's not named anything similar to project M, I'm not sure what you mean by

Sd card has contents of the homebrew folder on the root. Not the homebrew folder itself.
I copied the files to the root of my sd card if that is what you mean. Also I might like to add, it doesn't just load Brawl, it loads Brawl with Project M characters and stages, and if you start a game it immediately crashes.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

So, on the root of the Sd is apps, project m, codes folders etc?

I use class 4 Sd cards and haven't had a problem, that's only the read /write speed. If you can try another Sd card it would be good to eliminate the issue.

The game config text file is on the root too?

Dat Aint Falco

Smash Cadet
Update: I got it to work, I deleted the version I had on my SD and found a different download link. I'm assuming that the previous link was incomplete and missing files.

Keeran

Smash Rookie
Update: I got it to work, I deleted the version I had on my SD and found a different download link. I'm assuming that the previous link was incomplete and missing files.
Is that true? I thought files were missing as well.
Also, anyone know if a 18 GB SDHC Card Class 10 can work?

Top Bottom