• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to the King of Dropkicks

Guide to the King of Dropkicks

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
Volimutt submitted a new guide:

Guide to King of Dropkicks - Bowser

We're take a little look into one of the most over-looked fighters since Melee. And that is the king koopa himself, Bowser. I'll explain his moveset and little on how to use him effectively enough even against his counters.

Bowser's Kit.

Jab: Bowser throws two pretty quick punches. The first dealing 5% and the second dealing 6%. This has fairly good range and decent knockback and little lag from it. Much better than his claw slashes as in Melee and Brawl. You'll want to abuse...
Read more about this guide...

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Keep in mind that Up Tilt won't hit a grounded enemy in front of you unless they're about as tall as Shulk or more.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Comments.

Jab- Bowser throws two pretty quick punches. The first dealing 5% and the second dealing 6%. This has fairly good range and decent knockback and little lag from it. Much better than his claw slashes as in Melee and Brawl. You'll want to abuse this at early to mid damage.
Bowser's jab is no where near as good as how it was in Brawl. Brawl jab was one of the best jabs in the entire game, and went unnoticed only because Bowser himself was so bad. Brawl Jab had more range and was incredibly safe when spaced. Smash 4 Jab doesn't even come close.

Whirling Fortress will be one of your best friends as it's super quick and is great when followed by a good spot dodge.
You mention Fortress after spot dodges, but no mention of Bowser's 12 year old defensive gimmick?

Never do Bowser's edge attack. It is highly unsafe as it's only 7% damage and unbearably laggy. Not worth it IMO.
If someone is charging a smash at the ledge, I think the ledge attack is worth it. There's ALWAYS situations where a ledge attack is useful.

All in all, this doesn't really feel like a guide. It's more like a basic rundown of Bowser's moves.

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
Comments.

Bowser's jab is no where near as good as how it was in Brawl. Brawl jab was one of the best jabs in the entire game, and went unnoticed only because Bowser himself was so bad. Brawl Jab had more range and was incredibly safe when spaced. Smash 4 Jab doesn't even come close.

You mention Fortress after spot dodges, but no mention of Bowser's 12 year old defensive gimmick?

If someone is charging a smash at the ledge, I think the ledge attack is worth it. There's ALWAYS situations where a ledge attack is useful.

All in all, this doesn't really feel like a guide. It's more like a basic rundown of Bowser's moves.
Sorry I'm a bit new to the whole competitive thing. Before the way way way late Brawl era. I was totally oblivious to all this. But I always love Bowser no matter the tier and played him fairly decent for a casual. Like a few months ago I recently got into watching VGBC and fine tuning my skills so I could play like them. If you have anything to teach me, please do. Your constructive criticism is appreciated.

Last edited:

kenpo189

Smash Rookie
I love to play with Bowser. I would really enjoy to see some more info about him but I can't find a bit of it. I can add that there is a very useful trick with Bowser. You can try doing Forward B on air, and immediately punch on landing. It's shortens the lag and also its a powerful combination. Another thing is to use Fire (B) near to the edge to force opponent to atack you from the air when is coming back, so you need to care about only one way or you will be able to sort some extra damage. And the last is that if you are near the edge and your rival has lot of damage is better to attack with down A cuz can kill instantly.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I try to jab --> grab I end up doing the next step in the jab combo, do I have the cancel the second hit before grabbing?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Whenever I try to jab --> grab I end up doing the next step in the jab combo, do I have the cancel the second hit before grabbing?
Press down after jab 1, then input your next move.

If you have any more questions, please direct them to the Q and A thread. It's pinned to this board.

Official Sweet Tea

Smash Rookie
I see you play League lol.
Aside from that, thanks for this guide. I am going to use this to try and improve my gameplay, as I am not super good competitively.

MrEh

Smash Hero
You can alternatively input the dash motion early and delay pushing the grab button.

Dashes can be buffered easily out of Jab 1.

Top Bottom