• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to lazering

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
There are many ways to use lasers that are effective and rather useful. First and foremost, lasers are one of wolf's most efficient way of racking of damage from far-range. His projectile is a very useful attack and can disrupt opponents and make them approach. Ways to use or possible ways of using the LASER.

1. Stand still laser-Just stand still lasering opponents from distances to rack of damage. If they want to camp then you can spam. If they begin to approach keep lasering. Just watch out if they power shield most of your lasers while approaching because you will be punished.

2.Full hop laser- This is a rising laser. Pressing jump and laser at the same time. i set L to jump to do this. It covers wide ranges and you can DI like crazy during rising and falling. It is one of the best laser strategies for covering the field with lasers and running away while still doing damage.

3. RAR laser- I haven't seen any wolf use this ever besides omniswell. It is running away RAR and you fire a laser. It has its uses.

4. B reversal laser- This is my personal favorite laser technique. It is merely a b reversal with lasering. You need to jump to then b reversal. Can be full hop or short hop. Also helps with Di when sent flying. This one can make you run into the opponent and hit with the hilt as well as the laser. Usually people don't see this one coming. DON'T MESS UP THE B REVERSAL OR YOU WILL PROBABLY SD FROM USING SIDE B.

5. Short hop laser- This is a fun laser where you short hop and move either forward or backward while lasering. You don't need to move, but if you want to approach or run away then moving is possible. You won't DI much from the short hop laser, but spacing is always key in a match.

Things lasers can setup or do:

A. Through a down grab if the opponent rolls in any direction they get laser'd. If they are stupid they roll toward you and get hit by the hilt as well as the laser. If they roll away they just get hit by laser.

B. If an opponent is falling from the sky after just being sent flying horizontally cover your options to setup a combo. When they are falling if they don't directly go for the edge full hop laser to hit them. FF to get to stage first. This may force them to land either in front of you or on you. Then proceed to Dsmash for a kill or Usmash if they have enough time to spot dodge.

C. Follow opponent over edge and laser with the hilt. I have never seen someone do this, but I'm positive no opponent would see this coming. According to ishieymoro this is called ledgehop laser.

D. Plank with lasering. This is easy to do. Let go of edge and short hop laser. If the opponent is standing there then they will get hit by the hilt also. Very fun and annoying to the opponent because no one likes camping.

E. Choice brawler technique. This is a funny tech and possibly useless. When you are grabbing the edge. drop short hop b reversal a laser on stage. The uses are yet to be determined, but it looks cool

Yoshara

Smash Lord
As a side note on the B reversal: it also works if you input the direction you want to fire before B, and because the window for that is pretty big it lessens the chance of screwing it up with a side-b, but you don't change momentum, so as a result it is better for retreating.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
L to jump? That seems pretty intresting.

Also I found that using B reversal for recovery is very risky since the opponent can punish while you're on the fire animation if you do it too much.

Otherwise I like the fullhop laser, I'll try to find uses for it in my game.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
As a side note on the B reversal: it also works if you input the direction you want to fire before B, and because the window for that is pretty big it lessens the chance of screwing it up with a side-b, but you don't change momentum, so as a result it is better for retreating.
I think I do this. I hardly ever screw up. But I don't know. Just muscle memory.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
The laser can be used for setting up traps, closing gaps between you and the opponent and to defend you self.

You should input how you can use the laser to gain a little bit of aerial distance.
For instance you are facing away from the stage you have to Press B, and while Wolf is holding his gun up, you have to press towards the stage which will grant you a little distance.

Another important note - for me that is - is that the laser is a slow projectile, meaning it is great for pressuring (in this case you can prevent the opponent from SHing). The fact that the projectile is slow, means that you can also combo into a shot. When you SH or Full jump and shoot, you can in some cases attack your opponent so he/she is sent flying directly into the shot, stopping their speed slightly setting up for new possibilities.

Good start on the Guide though :)

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
How I usually use lazers are at low percents I'll do downthrow and if they roll away from me I will lazer them and it connects, its like a follow combo.

I also use mindgames such as when camping ground lazer to SH lazer to ground to ground to SH to mess with them so they won't know how to approach. I like to use lazers as a tech chase so when my opponent is on the ground I run away reverse lazer and follow up with a shine or grab :p

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
1. Stand still laser-Just stand still lasering opponents from distances to rack of damage. If they want to camp then you can spam. If they begin to approach keep lasering. Just watch out if they power shield most of your lasers while approaching because you will be punished.

2.Full hop laser- This is a rising laser. Pressing jump and laser at the same time. i set L to jump to do this. It covers wide ranges and you can DI like crazy during rising and falling. It is one of the best laser strategies for covering the field with lasers and running away while still doing damage.

3. RAR laser- I haven't seen any wolf use this ever besides omniswell. It is running away RAR and you fire a laser. It has its uses.

4. B reversal laser- This is my personal favorite laser technique. It is merely a b reversal with lasering. You need to jump to then b reversal. Can be full hop or short hop. Also helps with Di when sent flying. This one can make you run into the opponent and hit with the hilt as well as the laser. Usually people don't see this one coming. DON'T MESS UP THE B REVERSAL OR YOU WILL PROBABLY SD FROM USING SIDE B.

Post so i can add more ways.

Dammit, Seagull. Where's the color and the style? I'm...I'm so disappointed.

1. For one, this should only work against idiots. If the opponent can't PS the spam, then just keep shooting like its WWIII.

2. I might just do that, considering I don't use L. It might improve my game. Aside from that, a fullhop laser is definitely useful, especially in teams when guarding the edge. It keeps the opponent, who's coming back, on their toes.

3. I don't use it. I figure it's the same thing as taping backwards and firing or just using a b-reverse.

4. This thing is ****ing win. Surprises nearly everyone. I was getting these off on even Chudat and HAT. Hell, I get these off on myself they're so good. lol These are definitely useful for camping, since just firing a laser might not work against someone who's holding their controller.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
B-reversal is good for recovering from above, much like Snake can do with grenades. I don't use it as often with Wolf, but it has its uses.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I like to use lazers as a tech chase so when my opponent is on the ground I run away reverse lazer
That's actually a really good idea for tech chasing, it keeps your options wayyyy open. o.O

Bair if they get up/attack, reverse laser if they go away, AD -> Buffered grab if they roll towards you. I'm gonna start doing that.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Also a lot of times when im knocked offstage ill turn backwards and reverse lazer when I see them running off the stage and when they grab the ledge and you can hit them with a lazer its very useful.

Eightyeight

Smash Rookie
I used to megaspam lazer against a friend who I played with regularly. The only thing it did was help him get better at Perfect Shielding >>

Top Bottom