• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide: Rush Coil Tricks and Techniques

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I decided to create another guide spotlighting what I think is one of Mega Man's more underrated moves: Rush Coil.

This time I tried something a little different and created a video guide. Check it out here:

I recorded this guide to be helpful for beginners and experts, with both basics and some advanced tricks and strings. Please let me know if I missed anything important! I'd also be happy to answer any questions you have after watching.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Indeed! I was almost starting to feel like my Mega game was reaching a plateau. Now I have a few new things to try out! Nice video, man!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
UAir to DAir through Rush Coil. FIEND. ABSOLUTE FIEND. I already liked how Rush allowed you to get free respacings or aerial followups, but the edgeguard setups were just disgustingly cruel.

Just a question through, can you make someone bounce from the ledge with Rush Coil ? I can't test that now, but I'd definitely like to. Forget it, It looks like it doesn't work... I'm still definitely going yo use Rush for edge guards now. Such a good dog really, he aint afraid of nothing. The only scary thing is the way people will punish us if they expect Rush to come out... ouch. >~<'

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
UAir to DAir through Rush Coil. FIEND. ABSOLUTE FIEND. I already liked how Rush allowed you to get free respacings or aerial followups, but the edgeguard setups were just disgustingly cruel.

Just a question through, can you make someone bounce from the ledge with Rush Coil ? I can't test that now, but I'd definitely like to.
Nope. Just tested it and you can't. Not that you would have any reason to do that...

I do like jumping from ledge and using UpB to lay Rush on the stage. If your opponent tries to run off stage to ledge trump you or short hops, he'll bounce off Rush. Oftentimes that will earn you a free followup bair or uair.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
BTW, I should mention while I'm still awake that activating Plant Barrier upon landing on Rush allows you to get moving nearly instantly when you touch the ground. Oh, and a Downward-tossed Hyper Bomb can be catched instantly after a Rush Coil. Just use it at the apex of the jump, then bounce on Rush and Nair away. Not that anyone would do that in a match, but it could give people ideas. Maybe :ohwell:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm still definitely going yo use Rush for edge guards now. Such a good dog really, he aint afraid of nothing. The only scary thing is the way people will punish us if they expect Rush to come out... ouch. >~<'
It hasn't been that dangerous in my experience. If you get hit you can always just UpB again. Maybe I'm still benefiting from the surprise factor.

The most dangerous thing about using Rush in edgeguard strings is forgetting that you did it! You have to make absolutely sure you can double jump or wall jump safely back to ledge. Sometimes I go too deep for a ledgeguard and end up self-destructing for the trouble.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Awesome video! I've been messing around with rush a bunch lately. I haven't seen those low percent kill combos, those are crazy.

Do you think dodging into it can be helpful in some situations? Seems like a good evasion tactic. You can combine an invinci-blade, into landing on rush, then use an aerial to recatch it. A short bounced fair, or full bounced dair might catch people who try to hit you as you were landing maybe?

Have you figured out the timing on using rush from ground, throwing MB downwards, and either catching it with a grab or aerial? It seems like you have to start metal blade asap in flip, but I don't know if fast falling is necessary.

Another thing you can theoretically do is bounce off it for super far/stalled edge guard. After bouncing you can drift way out, and even dair way out there. You get your jump and rush back for recovery.

Rush coil is just so versatile, I've contemplated/theory crafted what it might be like to try and use him like nonstop. I lack the precision and timing to pull it off, but I'd love to see that game play style. I think most nonmega players know very little about rush mechanics, so if you could force them to try to beat you by using the rush themselves, they would have a pretty big disadvantage. You wouldn't need to rack up a ton of damage, you could go for those rush kill combos.

Last edited:

UmbreonMageBrando

The Quiet One
NNID
Megaman648
wow, I mostly use rush for recovery but now that I saw this video it makes me want to rush for mixups as well.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
That's some really great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to experiment with Rush more often in the heat of battle. Now I have something to practice.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Anyone try spamming rush against shiek? Like having it out almost constantly. I've tried it some and it seems like there is potential. You are much harder to hit, especially by needles. You can do all sorts of metal blade and leaf shield shenanigans too, which helps a bunch against her frame data.

She has to go in, and you can outplay here because you're more used to using rush. Also, you can get many upairs.

Taokaka

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ValooDX
3DS FC
2758-4249-4296
Already Know most of this but wow! The upair to dair near ledge iss really goooood!! Nice stuff! Specially doing it on mario cause I hate him so much xD

Top Bottom