• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Requests and general questions (Request here, not in other guides)

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
It has come to my attention that people :
1: Love the matchup guide idea
2: want to see specific matchups we have not done yet.

We are unable to compile that much information at once, but we can take requests by popular demand and/or first-come first-serve. We'll post links to the guides as they are made/edited.

Remember that the guides are character specific and only inquire about the specific character in question. This make it easier for us as the guide-makers to compile information, answer questions etc. and for you guys to find the info you need.

Thanks for your hard work Yoshis! Keep up the eggciellent Play!

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
As someone who has gone onto one of the magnificent character specific guides offered by you excellent Yoshi players and messed up by asking about another character entirely, I do appologize sincerely. I am very interested to see how this guide system works in the near future. I would love to see one for peach as she is giving me the largest headache. Again I appologize, and thank all you eggscellent Yoshi players for such tremendous help.

:4yoshi:

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
I would personally love a guide against Diddy players. Xanadu is one of the few tournaments I get to go to and DEAR LORD THERE ARE SO MANY DIDDYS. As of right now I think I have more of a general playing issue than a matchup specific issue, but knowing more about the matchup certainly wouldn't hurt.

After that I wouldn't mind a Link or Mario guide. Getting around those projectiles is so annoying that I often fail to capitalize once I get through to them.

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
@ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo , if you need help with some guides I can definitely help out. I'm actually interested in taking on the diddy guide, as I've had diddy trouble in the past but figured out the matchup. I played a diddy player in pools last tourney that has routinely beat me and I ended up 4 stocking then 3 stocking him. So let me know if you want any help writing guides.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll add Diddy, Peach, and then ZSS (a matchup I personally want help with) to the queue. I'll start the Diddy one now.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
@ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo , if you need help with some guides I can definitely help out. I'm actually interested in taking on the diddy guide, as I've had diddy trouble in the past but figured out the matchup. I played a diddy player in pools last tourney that has routinely beat me and I ended up 4 stocking then 3 stocking him. So let me know if you want any help writing guides.
every guide is a collaboration. If you have even one piece of advice to add, it would be very much appreciated. Yoshi is such an underused character that the meta isn't very developed, so we want input from everybody, not even just the best players.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I honestly think the meta is Mindgames without fancy options. If you think about what options you can take away from your opponent and how you can subtly stuff them, you can create huge opportunities to punish and leave your opponent baffled on what to do.
One little general tip: Space your Jabs. If you get into a situation where you eggroll into their shield and they chose not to immediately shield grab, Space your jabs. Most players would expect the quick double jab and react according to the timing. This leads to more pressure and even forcing rolls and even snaking in a downsmash for a Jump OoS. Throughout the match, switch from doing different methods of pressure, being jabs or uptilts or downtilts and watch your pressure game simplify to a game of reactionary rock paper scissors (except your opponent will be limited to rock and paper).

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think the meta is Mindgames without fancy options. If you think about what options you can take away from your opponent and how you can subtly stuff them, you can create huge opportunities to punish and leave your opponent baffled on what to do.
One little general tip: Space your Jabs. If you get into a situation where you eggroll into their shield and they chose not to immediately shield grab, Space your jabs. Most players would expect the quick double jab and react according to the timing. This leads to more pressure and even forcing rolls and even snaking in a downsmash for a Jump OoS. Throughout the match, switch from doing different methods of pressure, being jabs or uptilts or downtilts and watch your pressure game simplify to a game of reactionary rock paper scissors (except your opponent will be limited to rock and paper).
That's a great tip. I've actually seen you say that before somewhere else, and I do it. I've actually broken one or two shields like that.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
That's a great tip. I've actually seen you say that before somewhere else, and I do it. I've actually broken one or two shields like that.
You were using it against me earlier tonight. Most characters can apply pressure that way

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Hey Yoshi's, could I make a request for a Zelda vs Yoshi match up thread? Our discussion has been pretty non-existent and I'd love to get some input.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Hey Yoshi's, could I make a request for a Zelda vs Yoshi match up thread? Our discussion has been pretty non-existent and I'd love to get some input.
That's pretty high on the list. I guess after Peach, ZSS and Samus i can start that. Zelda is Yoshi's worst matchup.

If you want, you can go ahead and copy the format of my posts and start that discussion from your perspective on the Zelda boards (along with all the other matchups).

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
hey guys. any links to guides to using the double jump super armor to help land ur aerials?

Damp

Smash Apprentice
hey guys. any links to guides to using the double jump super armor to help land ur aerials?
I can just explain it to you. A lot of times, it's going to be used as a combo breaker. If you're in a combo, you should try to DI and mash out a double jump. Once you get the double jump, if you notice them still coming for you, wait for the hit and then cancel the double jump and throw out a nair. It's probably the best combo breaker in the game except maybe Luigi nair.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
mm what do you do if they bait it out tho? like... what if they were baiting it and then now u just used ur double jump and ur way in the air. whats the safest way to get back down to stage?

also when u use it. u dont have very long before your DJ will take u upwards. how come sometimes i see ppl use the double jump to armor. then nair. and still able to fall downwards? do they just fastfall?

Damp

Smash Apprentice
mm what do you do if they bait it out tho? like... what if they were baiting it and then now u just used ur double jump and ur way in the air. whats the safest way to get back down to stage?

also when u use it. u dont have very long before your DJ will take u upwards. how come sometimes i see ppl use the double jump to armor. then nair. and still able to fall downwards? do they just fastfall?
If they bait it out, then good for them for knowing the matchup. It's a rare occurence. And as long as you aren't holding a jump input while you do your nair, you will djc and then you can fast fall. I use djc nair fastfall almost exclusively as an approach. I mix up the timings so they never know when I'm armored and when I throw out a hitbox. It's a rather clever move to take advantage of.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
so how do you do this? for example. what are the inputs:

http://youtu.be/SDnKE5J7ki8?t=3m45s

when amsa super armors m2k's down smash and then nairs him.

I guess i just want a breakdown of how to do this super armor cancel stuff. i can tell amsa jumped away and then DJ back torwards sheik as the down smash was happening. but how come yoshi stayed so close to the ground? doesnt DJ shoot u up pretty quickly? and do u want to like.. nair immediately after u super armor a hit? or is there some super armor even during ur nair?

also what about:

http://youtu.be/SDnKE5J7ki8?t=5m23s

when he hops off the platform and goes the other direction with a fair?

is that DJ'ing left and then fair -> fast fall?

Sorry. im sure this is really basic stuff but im like day 2 yoshi right now lol

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
so how do you do this? for example. what are the inputs:

http://youtu.be/SDnKE5J7ki8?t=3m45s

when amsa super armors m2k's down smash and then nairs him.

I guess i just want a breakdown of how to do this super armor cancel stuff. i can tell amsa jumped away and then DJ back torwards sheik as the down smash was happening. but how come yoshi stayed so close to the ground? doesnt DJ shoot u up pretty quickly? and do u want to like.. nair immediately after u super armor a hit? or is there some super armor even during ur nair?

also what about:

http://youtu.be/SDnKE5J7ki8?t=5m23s

when he hops off the platform and goes the other direction with a fair?

is that DJ'ing left and then fair -> fast fall?

Sorry. im sure this is really basic stuff but im like day 2 yoshi right now lol
Yoshi's double jump moves in a J shape (down then up). if you input an aerial during your double jump, you will keep exactly the momentum you had on that J shape and youll accelerate towards the ground due to gravity. If you input an aerial one frame after double jump, you will move downwards very quickly. If you input your aerial late into the double jump, yoshi will do that soft rise and fall. What seems to have happened in the video is amsa inputted the aerial just after he began to rise in the double jump, keeping very slight upward momentum, but as gravity pulls him downward, he kindof floats there a little bit. Once you put out an aerial you lose all of your armor. Amsa very expertly timed his jump such that the jump came out right before the downsmash hit him (as he carried momentum from running forward towards m2k) and the aerial came out right after.

As for the second clip, he wavelanded off the edge of the platform, double jumped left and immediately (the frame after) faired. The fastfall input is not actually necessary because the downward momentum he received from the double jump was enough.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
ahh ok. thats awesome. thanks for the info man. helps a ton. so do u not wnt to fast fall the DJC fairs sometimes? like if i want to approach with a fair. should i djc it? or couuld i just SHFL the fair like normal? and when i DJC a fair should i still FF? or do u typicaly not FF if u DJC properly?

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
ahh ok. thats awesome. thanks for the info man. helps a ton. so do u not wnt to fast fall the DJC fairs sometimes? like if i want to approach with a fair. should i djc it? or couuld i just SHFL the fair like normal? and when i DJC a fair should i still FF? or do u typicaly not FF if u DJC properly?
You typically always want to fast fall, but if you do a 1 frame djc youll be falling fast enough anyways that its not important. If you approach with fair, djc and shffl fairs both have their uses. Since fair has so much start up, armoring a hit with dj and countering with a fair isnt really viable. Djc fairs are good though for when you want to do a turn around fair, or as you saw in the video, a fair above. Usually though, shffl fair is the best option. You can djc at different heights depending on how long after the double jump you cancel with an aerial. Theres no one timing thats universally useful, so get used to the timing for quick djcs or djcs where you wanna hover there for a bit.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Off topic. But didn't I play u on netplay mumbo? Lol. I'm a lucario player on net.

And thanks for all the help. Clears things up a lot

Top Bottom