• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

guaranteed things with marth

djmath

Smash Apprentice
hi guys, I know I'm FAIRly active on the marth boards, but I'm really not getting the success with marth that I want I have problems being patient and overcommiting to things that are not guaranteed so I was wondering with marth, what is guaranteed? what are his safe options in both approaching and evading? spacies have spotdodge -> shine, puff has uptilt rest, samus has downthrow charge shot (sometimes) but honestly, what does marth have that isn't DI or reaction dependent? I've just been having a hard time winning and getting better and I feel like there's a lot I can learn and improve before I just give up and never play smash again because I hate it.

thanks, marth love​

AirFair

Marth tho
HEY THAT"S MY NAME

well, you probably already know that kill moves are not very good from 70 to 170, so there's that. I'm not sure on spacies besides a really good shield grab, but on floaties, there's always the f throw pseudo chaingrab. Works wonders in the ditto.

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
I'm by no means a great player and I've been playing this game for a little over a year, but, honestly Marth is a hard character to do well with. He's great a beginner/noob level where other players don't know how to deal with his range and fmash. As you improve in this game and play better people he seems to get harder to play and win with. To play Marth well requires almost perfect play against every character, even the low tiers, even the matchups people claim that Marth wins. It's not easy, but it is doable. All the Marth knowledge you need is in this forum, Kadano's thread, or here > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Daf_Dqod1HoMj7L26ITeUM-xKUKhfxh2vJLWOl2N0C8/edit

I've improved a lot since I've started playing but I have a long way to go. I won't lie, there are LOTS of times I just want to drop Marth and switch mains, or just quit altogether, but I just keep pushing through and try to study, practice, play, enter tournaments to improve as much as I can, all the while enjoying myself.

AirFair

Marth tho
If you like a character you should stick with them. Otherwise, find what makes this wonderful game fun for you. If you are just sticking with Marth for no reason, just find the best character for you. No one will give you crap if you decide to switch. If it takes way too much effort to keep a good Marth that you enjoy, maybe you should consider switching characters.

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
There's a quote from @Dr Peepee somewhere, he says something along the lines of "Marth is not the correct character for some people" I don't remember the exact quote, but he's right in that Marth's playstyle just doesn't mesh well with how some people want to play the game. So you need to ask yourself if Marth is really for you?

djmath

Smash Apprentice
I'll need to do some soul searching when I'm watching apex this weekend. but besides that, are there any other answers to my initial question?

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
Marth has sooo many safe and guaranteed options on lots of characters.

To start out on floaties and spacies you can do fthrow>fthrow repeated into Dthrow Fsmash (great Combo)
Against sheik falcon and spacies you can do uthrow up tilt into uair etc.
On spacies the best option is always chainthrow into fsmash which you can do at 60-80% past that percent uthrow to nair will work until 110 or something like that.
Approaches are sort of limited to things like shnair or dash into downtilt...

Marth is not a rushdown character and cannot really attack or be on the offense, at least in the meta, the safest bet for any marth is spacing/zoning away from your opponent, dash dancing, and just waiting for a grab

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
Marth has sooo many safe and guaranteed options on lots of characters.

To start out on floaties and spacies you can do fthrow>fthrow repeated into Dthrow Fsmash (great Combo)
Against sheik falcon and spacies you can do uthrow up tilt into uair etc.
On spacies the best option is always chainthrow into fsmash which you can do at 60-80% past that percent uthrow to nair will work until 110 or something like that.
Approaches are sort of limited to things like shnair or dash into downtilt...

Marth is not a rushdown character and cannot really attack or be on the offense, at least in the meta, the safest bet for any marth is spacing/zoning away from your opponent, dash dancing, and just waiting for a grab
Almost none of those things you listed are guaranteed.
The fthrow to fthrow only works if the opponent DIs in or no DI.
Dthrow to Fmash does not work, unless at the edge of stage and they do not tech and just lay there.
the Upthrow chain grab on spacies are guaranteed only if you can follow their DI and pivotgrab and the right percents.

lokt

Smash Cadet
hi guys, I know I'm FAIRly active on the marth boards, but I'm really not getting the success with marth that I want I have problems being patient and overcommiting to things that are not guaranteed so I was wondering with marth, what is guaranteed? what are his safe options in both approaching and evading? spacies have spotdodge -> shine, puff has uptilt rest, samus has downthrow charge shot (sometimes) but honestly, what does marth have that isn't DI or reaction dependent?​
IMO being DI and reaction dependent means its guaranteed if you practice enough. E.G.(shield grabbing fox's drill frame perfectly, chain grabs, wd grabbing fox/falco dash attack, any of kadano's combo charts, platform tech chasing, etc.)

I think what you are really asking for are more general options regarding the neutral game and you're confused with which options to use when you don't have guaranteed followups. Marth doesn't have "easy options" like shine grab or tech in place shine. But he does have safe options in neutral and when pressuring an opponent in the corner. And he has a lot of guaranteed combos.

In terms of "safe options", the one that comes to mind is dash back. Or wavedash back. Doing so covers a lot of your opponent's options without committing to anything. Of course you will eventually get cornered but dashing back is the epitome of safe options. But what if your opponent predicts that you will dash back? Pivot ac nair is probably the next "safest" option to do. But you can only get so far with safe options. As I said early you only have so much stage to retreat to. So if you want to apply some pressure try wavedash dtilt. If you whiff you can always dash back, pivot nair, etc. Of course there is more to applying pressure than that so I which I will explain below because I also used to have problems with this.

I'll explain a problem that I used to have with playing marth which I think might help you. I used to have consistently close games with my practice partner(also a marth main) and it frustrated me since I used to be pretty far ahead of him in terms of skill. The realization I had was that I wasn't applying enough pressure with my dash dance. What does this mean? I'll break down my problem below:
  • when I run-cancelled d-tilt or wd d-tilted I would never hit it. My opponent was always ready to retreat, jump, or shield--> what ever mixup
  • my dash dance never baited any followups and i would get run cancelled dtilt on my dash backs.
The point of a dash dance is to conceal the options you choose. Since my d-tilt was getting beaten everytime I realized my dash dance wasn't working correctly: there was something different in my movement when I was committing to a dtilt than when I was dash dancing which is a huge problem. So I decided to actually do most of the movement where I would dtilt and then retreat at the last second. If I would run dtilt I would wavedash back right before I predicted my opponent would respond to it. If I was going to wavedash forward dtilt I would wavedash back immediately to catch a nair or other reaction. Instead of just dashing back all of the time I would try to "push forward" with my dash dance to try and force a reaction or take up space. Instead of waiting for my opponent to overcommit I decided to apply pressure and as a result I've made large strides in my play.

TLDR: use guaranteed options liberally but you need pressure and mixups(which i only kind of addressed). My biggest mistake came from the mantra of "only dash dance, grab, and dtilt" which only works if you understand the dash dance game and have godlike punishes out of throws.

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming that this is all there is to the neutral game: please realize that my view of the neutral is still evolving. Use your own experience to understand the neutral game and take from my theory what works for you.

I've just been having a hard time winning and getting better and I feel like there's a lot I can learn and improve before I just give up and never play smash again because I hate it.
You can always switch to fox if you want to just press buttons and have autopilot or "guaranteed" options. It depends on what you want from the game. Of course playing fox also requires a knowledge of the dash dance game not unlike marth.

Last edited:

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
Lmfao BigJosh downthrow to fsmash certainly does work, its a DI mixup
and who doesn't know how to pivot grab LOL.
Fthrow repeatedly works on a lot of characters and the opponent actually has to DI down and away precisely to get out

AirFair

Marth tho
Well, they could always tech the dthrow tbh. Fthrow to Uthrow is certainly a good mixup as well, but it's still DI dependent.

Not having a guaranteed option is ok for Marth. He's got so many good options. But you are right in saying that it takes a lot more precision position wise to play a great Marth. The challenge of that makes me want to play Marth more. But to each his own. I still like to play Falco whenever I see a Sheik around lol so he's not invincible.

Preacher

Smash Cadet
Well everyone else seems to have answered the guaranteed/mixup options so I'll talk about patience and overextending. If you're not a patient player it can be a hard thing to calm down in a match, but you have to remember that marth is a swordsman. He requires finesse and strategy much like if you were actually sword fighting. You have to get down that unless you're opponent is in hit stun they can hit you back. In fact, the best thing to do is imagine that your opponent is going to hit you back. So when you're learning combos and developing your punish game understand that its better to drop the combo than give your opponent the advantage.

Top Bottom