• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Grinding Hats/100% Complete AMA

d00derino

Smash Cadet
I recently 100% all the challenges in Smash, and all I have left to do is grind 2 hats. Does anyone have any good tips? Does All-Star with Miis give you suits/hats or just equipment?

Other than that, feel free to ask me anything about this game. I'm very happy that this is the first Smash game that I legit 100%'d, but I'm feeling empty inside.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Hats become damn near impossible to get once you have most of them. Crazy Orders is your best bet, but the odds are still very bad.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
How many hats are there? I thought for sure the Regal Crown would be my last one, but it isn't. I have 45 now. I think there is just one more?

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I was wondering why I kept getting costumes and zero new hats. Did the programmers input the new hat probability incorrectly?

pmort

Smash Cadet
I posted with a filled diaper on another thread about this very thing...been playing for 2 weeks with 3 left and hadn't gotten any until last night, then I got two in a few hours, one in crazy orders (which I damn near came close to losing no thanks to a salty metal Villager) and another not too long after in trophy rush (a custom Palutena with heavenly light equipped, I can typically get 4 or 5 parts per round). All I have left to get is the lacy headband.

Basically I start with trophy rush, and if I don't get any hats, new or old, within 4 or 5 rounds, I bounce over to either Classic or crazy orders, depending on my ticket or money situation. When I'm preoccupied I let a round of smash tour go on without me (only input ever required is for target blast matches, which are rare for me). I've gotten new hats from tour, though not without playing. I have gotten old hats from an idle tour though, so maybe it's possible to get new ones? You seem to get more items depending on how well you do. At the least though, you do get some goodies even if you let it go, and you almost always get at least one crazy orders ticket, so that's worthwhile.

Really wish I just hammered this one though, it's such a slog.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
How many hats are there? I thought for sure the Regal Crown would be my last one, but it isn't. I have 45 now. I think there is just one more?
  • 1-Up Mushroom Hat
  • Barbara the Bat Wig
  • Bear Hat
  • Beehive Wig
  • Captain Falcon Helmet
  • Cat Ears
  • Chef Hat
  • Chicken Hat
  • Chomp Hat
  • Cow Skull Hat (Bovine Skull Hat)
  • Cowboy Hat
  • Daisy's Crown
  • Devil Horns
  • Dog Ears
  • Dragon Helmet
  • Fancy Pirate Hat
  • Floral Hat
  • Football Helmet (American Football Helmet)
  • Frog Hat
  • Hibiscus
  • Hockey Mask (Ice Hockey Mask)
  • Lacy Headband
  • Lion Hat
  • Luigi's Cap
  • Magic Hat
  • Mario's Cap
  • Master Gardener's Crown
  • Meta Knight Mask
  • Mii Force Helmet
  • Mini Top Hat
  • Ninja Headband
  • Panda Hat
  • Peach's Crown
  • Pirate Hat
  • Prince's Crown
  • Princess Zelda Wig
  • Princess's Crown
  • Red Ribbon
  • Red Shell Hat
  • Regal Crown
  • Samurai Helmet
  • Samus's Helmet
  • Santa Hat
  • Sheik Mask
  • Shy Guy Mask
  • Spartan Helmet
  • Spiny Hat
  • Straw Hat
  • Super Mushroom Hat
  • Swimming Cap
  • Top Hat
  • Waluigi's Cap
  • Wario's Cap
  • Wedding Veil
  • Western Hat (Wild West Hat)

pmort

Smash Cadet
With today off, I played for like a solid 8 hours, something I haven't done since the high school days. Nearly half of that was trophy rush., with the other half a few Crazy & Master orders, a couple of idle Smash Tours (and at least one earnestly attempted Smash tour), some All Star on Hard, and even Target Blast on stages with a part icon. The Lacy Headband still will not show itself. I have 90 hours of play time according to the stats screen and about 3000 custom parts. Come the **** on.

Seriously kiddos, if you're reading and have a hammer yet, do use it on this one. Your sanity will thank you.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
Seriously kiddos, if you're reading and have a hammer yet, do use it on this one. Your sanity will thank you.
But using a hammer on it won't give you the hats. All it will do is waste a hammer that you could have used on something better, like clearing All Star on hard with every character. I know you still need to clear All Star with every character for the figures, but you can do them on easy.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
My list of hats may be off, I took them from a site and don't know if it was the one I printed out. I "officially" 100%'d the game today getting the 2 hats I needed in Crazy Orders...120+ hours in and I can't stop playing.

Definitely use a hammer on the hats since they are far more random, but if you're a completionist you have hours to grind to get them all.

pmort

Smash Cadet
But using a hammer on it won't give you the hats. All it will do is waste a hammer that you could have used on something better, like clearing All Star on hard with every character. I know you still need to clear All Star with every character for the figures, but you can do them on easy.
This is assuming you care about having all hats, which I don't and wagering to guess a few others don't as well. I just want a clear challenge board.

Also, so long as you're playing the game even after hammering it you'll still get the hat eventually anyway, so not really a big deal to burn the hammer early...getting that big payout from a clear board might be more important (and thus lead to a never ending supply of crazy orders to get that hat). I can only think of maybe two other challenges that I absolutely think are hammer worthy anyway, which are All Star on Hard with everyone (for sure) and possibly 9 with no customs (given the number of times I tried 9 for no deaths I'm starting to think this one probably isn't that bad); wish I felt this way before using them, of course! Absolutely hating myself for using it on Mario 20 crazy order tickets.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
My list of hats may be off, I took them from a site and don't know if it was the one I printed out. I "officially" 100%'d the game today getting the 2 hats I needed in Crazy Orders...120+ hours in and I can't stop playing.

Definitely use a hammer on the hats since they are far more random, but if you're a completionist you have hours to grind to get them all.
Congrats man. I don't know if I got the stomach for crazy orders...I've gotten hosed for some of the cheapest reasons there lately, and I don't think I could handle getting the hat only to get dragooned out of a later match and thus losing it. Glad I hammered this on the 3ds at least.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Well my dudes & dudettes I am just about burnt out on this and may wind up putting this aside for a while if I don't find it soonly, I got other games I want to play. Crazy Orders either gets me no hats or a bunch of hats that are all ones I already got (and I wind up losing in a match or against the hands anyway). I've done so many trophy rushes that my eyes bleed at the sight of it. Master Orders gives me a smash icon seemingly once every 20 matches, and is weird with how it doles out hats (I can get 3 hats on a Normal smash icon ticket, but only 1 or 2 on a Very Hard?). I don't think this is "random" so much as "Random (wink) with a hint of maddening cruelty".

Before I throw in the towel though, 2 things:

1) Can amiibos get these? I have next to no knowledge on how amiibos work exactly, but if they can do some work while I'm doing something else, that would be A OK.

2) I've seen this spreadsheet going around. Haven't tried it yet and noticed I have not been using the people who have what I'm looking for very often on this list so I may give it a whirl, though I'm not positive on its efficacy. At this point I'm willing to try anything. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x-6NeTszvM2FFlshg1hyN4lcxfalkDE0PmV5IcNDptM/edit#gid=0

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've noticed that I get hats from my Amiibos more often than anywhere else. And they tend to be new ones.

I have not got to a point where I am grinding for hats yet, but my Amiibos will do it for me when the time comes.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Well my dudes & dudettes I am just about burnt out on this and may wind up putting this aside for a while if I don't find it soonly, I got other games I want to play. Crazy Orders either gets me no hats or a bunch of hats that are all ones I already got (and I wind up losing in a match or against the hands anyway). I've done so many trophy rushes that my eyes bleed at the sight of it. Master Orders gives me a smash icon seemingly once every 20 matches, and is weird with how it doles out hats (I can get 3 hats on a Normal smash icon ticket, but only 1 or 2 on a Very Hard?). I don't think this is "random" so much as "Random (wink) with a hint of maddening cruelty".

Before I throw in the towel though, 2 things:

1) Can amiibos get these? I have next to no knowledge on how amiibos work exactly, but if they can do some work while I'm doing something else, that would be A OK.

2) I've seen this spreadsheet going around. Haven't tried it yet and noticed I have not been using the people who have what I'm looking for very often on this list so I may give it a whirl, though I'm not positive on its efficacy. At this point I'm willing to try anything. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x-6NeTszvM2FFlshg1hyN4lcxfalkDE0PmV5IcNDptM/edit#gid=0
Again, I gotta stress the Crazy Orders over Master Orders. Much easier and better yield in my experience. I usually played until I got something I needed then went straight for the end. Then again, I had a ton of money from the 300,000G challenge.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Again, I gotta stress the Crazy Orders over Master Orders. Much easier and better yield in my experience. I usually played until I got something I needed then went straight for the end. Then again, I had a ton of money from the 300,000G challenge.
I've mentioned a few times that I'm not fond of Crazy Orders because it is so easy to lose it, assuming IF you get it (and I've done many runs there and still getting the same stuff).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've mentioned a few times that I'm not fond of Crazy Orders because it is so easy to lose it, assuming IF you get it (and I've done many runs there and still getting the same stuff).
If you want an easy streak in Crazy Orders, make a custom build with the following:

-"Home Run Bat" Equipment
-"Fast Bat Smasher" Equipment
-"10 Second Invincibility" or "Vampire" Equipment

Then while going through Crazy Orders, pick Giant Battles whenever available, or Metal Battles if there are no Giants. Those two are easiest to hit with the bat.

You can play as any character for this, but some characters are better than others - Rosalina is really good for this as her arms have a long reach (meaning better bat range), and she can use her Down Special to pull the bat back to her if she drops it.

pmort

Smash Cadet
If you want an easy streak in Crazy Orders, make a custom build with the following:

-"Home Run Bat" Equipment
-"Fast Bat Smasher" Equipment
-"10 Second Invincibility" or "Vampire" Equipment

Then while going through Crazy Orders, pick Giant Battles whenever available, or Metal Battles if there are no Giants. Those two are easiest to hit with the bat.

You can play as any character for this, but some characters are better than others - Rosalina is really good for this as her arms have a long reach (meaning better bat range), and she can use her Down Special to pull the bat back to her if she drops it.
Yeah, I've been doing this for a while. Still a PITA, not without its own problems.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Finally got a Quick Batter generic badge, so I finally got to try the First Strike Quick Batter strat with Mario's Fast Fireball, and got 38 turns easily on my first try (I would have gone longer, but I had to be somewhere shortly after that point). I'd strongly recommend First Striker equipment over Vampire, as with a fast enough projectile you're virtually guaranteed to strike first, even in FFAs (Giant Battles actually gave me a bit more trouble than them). Then hitting with the Home-Run bat is trivial unless the AI is giant and/or roll-happy (on that note, I'd avoid Mario Circuit Brawl for that reason). Using Fox's laser would probably work even better, but I'm used to Mario and FF rarely failed me.

pmort

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that I get hats from my Amiibos more often than anywhere else. And they tend to be new ones.

I have not got to a point where I am grinding for hats yet, but my Amiibos will do it for me when the time comes.
I missed this earlier. Interesting. I haven't gone down the amiibo rabbit hole yet, but I just might. Do you have to put them through different modes, or do they just get them?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I had been sitting on about 45 hats for what seemed like forever, with NO new hats showing up while I was grinding through classic and all-star modes. Then I started playing Trophy Rush yesterday to grind for custom specials and suddenly started getting new hats left and right, and had all the hats by last night. So, there's that.

pmort

Smash Cadet
I had been sitting on about 45 hats for what seemed like forever, with NO new hats showing up while I was grinding through classic and all-star modes. Then I started playing Trophy Rush yesterday to grind for custom specials and suddenly started getting new hats left and right, and had all the hats by last night. So, there's that.
This is very annoying to read. But congratulations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I missed this earlier. Interesting. I haven't gone down the amiibo rabbit hole yet, but I just might. Do you have to put them through different modes, or do they just get them?
Amiibo only work in anything under the red "Smash" menu option, so Smash, 8-Player Smash, and Special Smash.

How I grind with Amiibos is if I know I won't be able to play the game for a while at a given time, I set Amiibos up for an 8-Player Smash, 99-Stock FFA. When I did this with just one Yoshi Amiibo at the time, I usually got at least one full page of loot, often more than that. However, Amiibos are supposed to get better gifts when fighting other Amiibo. However, by setting 8 Amiibos up, you will get TONS of good loot. Since Amiibos get more from fighting other Amiibos, and each Amiibo is getting a bunch of loot.

I'm actually gonna test this out now, since I plan to start some college work now. I have 12 Amiibos now, with nine of them registered and at Level 50 (or very close). I haven't let them have a 99-Stock FFA yet though, so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
Amiibo only work in anything under the red "Smash" menu option, so Smash, 8-Player Smash, and Special Smash.

How I grind with Amiibos is if I know I won't be able to play the game for a while at a given time, I set Amiibos up for an 8-Player Smash, 99-Stock FFA. When I did this with just one Yoshi Amiibo at the time, I usually got at least one full page of loot, often more than that. However, Amiibos are supposed to get better gifts when fighting other Amiibo. However, by setting 8 Amiibos up, you will get TONS of good loot. Since Amiibos get more from fighting other Amiibos, and each Amiibo is getting a bunch of loot.

I'm actually gonna test this out now, since I plan to start some college work now. I have 12 Amiibos now, with nine of them registered and at Level 50 (or very close). I haven't let them have a 99-Stock FFA yet though, so I'll see how it goes.
Excellent. I'm going to give this a shot with a couple of them...I know I"m getting Link for sure, we'll see what else I can grab. I did enough research to see that things are kind of nuts for lesser known characters so I won't be messing with those. Either Nintendo will rerelease them or I'll just do without.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I actually have amiibos of the 8 original fighters (from the 64 version) fighting now. I'm hoping the loot is good. If they can get custom specials that will be awesome.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I did get quite a lot of loot from my Amiibos today in one 99-Stock match between 8 of them, that finished after 2 hours. Lots of equipment and I got a new custom move. Got a hat, but I already had it. And I got lots of gold (Yoshi alone got me over 2,000G).

It's obviously still going to get harder to get new loot in terms of hats and custom moves as you near 100% completion, but the real benefit to the Amiibo method is that you definitely get more stuff at a time than modes like Classic or All-Star, but as well as that, you don't actually have to play the game yourself. They can grind for you, and you go off and do something else. Maybe even go out.

pmort

Smash Cadet
So I did get quite a lot of loot from my Amiibos today in one 99-Stock match between 8 of them, that finished after 2 hours. Lots of equipment and I got a new custom move. Got a hat, but I already had it. And I got lots of gold (Yoshi alone got me over 2,000G).

It's obviously still going to get harder to get new loot in terms of hats and custom moves as you near 100% completion, but the real benefit to the Amiibo method is that you definitely get more stuff at a time than modes like Classic or All-Star, but as well as that, you don't actually have to play the game yourself. They can grind for you, and you go off and do something else. Maybe even go out.
Yeah, I'm 1 item away from 100% (well, two if you count the trophy I get from getting this one hat) and I think the game is giving me hell for that.

I just tried a series of Trophy rushes and didn't get a single hat and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to let a few of these guys duke it out for a bit. No Links available locally so I got a Mario to test the waters and I think I might be hooked.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm 1 item away from 100% (well, two if you count the trophy I get from getting this one hat) and I think the game is giving me hell for that.

I just tried a series of Trophy rushes and didn't get a single hat and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to let a few of these guys duke it out for a bit. No Links available locally so I got a Mario to test the waters and I think I might be hooked.

It's quite the shame that you aren't into Crazy Orders -- I truly think it's the most effective way in this game. The poster above mentioned my same dilemma. I would do rounds and rounds of Crazy Orders and get nothing new, then as if it were magic, the game finally gave me my last two hats.

Definitely try again with a suped-up baseball carrying player. I usually quit around 15 rounds and do giant/metal unless there is one specifically with a Smash icon. But I don't seem to have as much trouble with it as you do. Are you playing a custom with a bat/quick smasher equipped? Also, KO Healer works wonders when you have to do team matches for Smash gear. Sadly, it takes time. I liked this game so much though that I put in the extra effort to get the hats even though I used a hammer on them.

pmort

Smash Cadet
It's quite the shame that you aren't into Crazy Orders -- I truly think it's the most effective way in this game. The poster above mentioned my same dilemma. I would do rounds and rounds of Crazy Orders and get nothing new, then as if it were magic, the game finally gave me my last two hats.

Definitely try again with a suped-up baseball carrying player. I usually quit around 15 rounds and do giant/metal unless there is one specifically with a Smash icon. But I don't seem to have as much trouble with it as you do. Are you playing a custom with a bat/quick smasher equipped? Also, KO Healer works wonders when you have to do team matches for Smash gear. Sadly, it takes time. I liked this game so much though that I put in the extra effort to get the hats even though I used a hammer on them.
To be clear, I have been using a baseball quick hitting invincible first striker with Mario for some time now. I can get up to about 30 levels, but when I do, I'm getting dupes or no hats at all (for anyone wanting to remind me again, yes I have been aware you're supposed to choose the smash icon...sometimes those are incredibly rare!), and my finish rate for that mode is about 30% because I get hosed. A LOT. Sometimes far earlier than that 30 rounds.

All it takes is one screw up. Oftentimes it's one stupid hit that makes me drop the bat which is immediately picked up by a teammate or opponent, sometimes them getting a dragoon, that air blowing gun, or a final smash, a relentlessly obnoxious horde, something with the damn hands, etc. I've completed up to 38 tickets before, and just don't find the time investment worth it plus the potential to lose the item to do this mode regularly.

Also, I still DO this mode, just not as often mainly because I'm regularly in single digits for tickets (used to have a bunch) and dont want to risk losing the item if I do ever get it. I mainly jump in as a change of pace when trophy rush is being stingy. At least in that mode I can get five parts in 2:30 minutes, and regain the money lost through a few other modes rather quickly. And when I get an item, I keep it.

Anyway, it's been a week since my last new hat, and the past few days have given me next to no hats in any mode. IDGI but this grind is one of the more miserable gaming experiences I've undertaken. Really really wish I just hammered this garbage challenge.

pmort

Smash Cadet
HALLELULEJAH PRAISE JESUS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER GODS TOO MY MARIO AMIIBO DONE GOT IT FOR ME **** YEAH LIGHT IT UP BALD EAGLES FLYING EVERYWHERE AS A THRASH METAL COVER OF THE (AMERICAN) NATIONAL ANTHEM PLAYS FULL BLAST

d00derino

Smash Cadet
HALLELULEJAH PRAISE JESUS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER GODS TOO MY MARIO AMIIBO DONE GOT IT FOR ME **** YEAH LIGHT IT UP BALD EAGLES FLYING EVERYWHERE AS A THRASH METAL COVER OF THE (AMERICAN) NATIONAL ANTHEM PLAYS FULL BLAST

Awesome dude! Very glad for you. Frustrating but worth it! What did you use your hammers on if you don't mind me asking?

pmort

Smash Cadet
Awesome dude! Very glad for you. Frustrating but worth it! What did you use your hammers on if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks man! I'm glad that's done, this is my first Smash I 100%'d.

Ones that I burned hammers on were:
Clear Solo Classic with Marth in 12 (probably could've done this myself)
Clear Crazy Orders with 20+ turns w/ Mario (I HAVE done this one, at least 10 times since, burned it before learning of the quick batter trick)
Clear All-Star on Hard with everyone (lmao no)
Clear Classic on 9 with no customs (another "probably could've done")
Clear Classic at 7 with everyone (easily could do this one, just sort of "grind-y", though I guess I'm used to that now)

So yeah, four of those were probably wasted. I didn't think that the hat grind was going to be this tedious...I used a hammer on this on the 3DS version because I was able to do most of the other challenges there on my own, so I didn't have any idea how bad it was going to be here.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably use them on the Captain Falcon All Star no heal (a lot of people said they had no trouble, I had massive trouble, more so than Duck Hunt Hard All Star), clearing All Star on Hard with 8 characters, & Hats & moves. Outfits came easily and that was fulfilled pretty early. If rewards for solo events wasn't unbreakable, then that & Kirby's Crazy Appetite on Hard.

All in all I have 95 hours of playtime thus far. Think I'm taking a bit of a Smash break but will give these Amiibos a bit more study and will probably start hopping online to get destroyed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I may have all the hats in Smash 3DS, but I'm hardly getting any new hats in Smash Wii U; I'm currently at around 32, and there's a grand total of 48 hats that you have to pick up (excluding the hats that you get right off the bat).

On a side note, my amiibos haven't been doing any better with the hats, as I can still get duplicates from them. I often wonder why the custom parts couldn't operate like the CDs.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I have two hats left. They are the Dog Ears and Football Helmet. I don't plan on getting an amiibo anytime soon considering I only have a part time job and it's almost two years since I graduated from college, and I only get 4.5-13 hours of work a week for basically minimum wage...

I have less than 20 tickets for Crazy Orders left, and I usually die after 13 rounds...I rarely see the Smash icon, and when I do, it's usually duplicates or equipment. This is getting ridiculous, and I'm wondering why we even get duplicates unlike CDs.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ok I just got a new hat on my first try of trophy rush ever after the patch. This can't be a coincidence!

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's NOT. I have all hats and custom moves now. All within a two crazy order runs.
And I'm still getting nothing...

Edit: Just got Dog Ears. If I get Football Helmet within the next 30 minutes, I will believe you.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't gotten any new headgear in Crazy Orders or any other game mode yet, so it's more than likely coincidental.

Top Bottom