• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's slow Dair

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
How does one perform it? I've seen it happen on accident and never figured out how it works lol. This is more of a thread for my friend who is not a member on Smash Boards since he often uses Greninja and cannot seem to pull it off. I know nothing of Greninja, so sorry if this stuff is common knowledge lol.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
How does one perform it? I've seen it happen on accident and never figured out how it works lol. This is more of a thread for my friend who is not a member on Smash Boards since he often uses Greninja and cannot seem to pull it off. I know nothing of Greninja, so sorry if this stuff is common knowledge lol.
ICoincidentally, some people in the Skype group were just discussing this exact question.

[3:45:20 PM] Techei (Brian): slow dair is you still got knockup momentum
[3:45:21 PM] Liberation: It's with momentum
[3:45:22 PM] karinachuu ◥θ┴θ◤: its momentum base
[3:45:26 PM] NinjaLink ◥θ┴θ◤: [3:45 PM] {SL} Transpecies GooseDude:

<<< is the slow Dair random?
do it during hitstun
[3:45:26 PM] karinachuu ◥θ┴θ◤: based*
[3:45:27 PM] {SL} Transpecies GooseDude: ok
[3:45:44 PM] {SL} Transpecies GooseDude: does that work the same for ZSS?
[3:45:49 PM] {SL} Transpecies GooseDude: since they both got a slow one
[3:46:04 PM] karinachuu ◥θ┴θ◤: works for all fast falling dairs

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Man, I really need to get on that Skype Chat, perhaps once school ends haha. Anyway, from what I can tell, slow Dair is an artifact left over from Brawl when attacks used to be able cancel hitstun really quickly. In that game's case, using an attack would also greatly reduce one's momentum very similarly to how Smash 4 has that big deceleration happen about a second after you get hit, although more pronounced. However, characters with stall and falls like TL's and ZSS's would of course be really difficult to kill if they were simply able to not only cancel momentum with those attacks but completely shift it almost immediately. Thus, those moves were programmed in such a way that in the case of the character taking knockback, stall-and-falls would simply keep whatever current momentum that character had when the attack was initiated. However, it wasn't programmed perfectly, and this has resulted in characters being able abuse the momentum you have right as the knockback ends (specifically the part where you are hanging in the air for a split second). At least, that's what I think is the case (I looked it up and couldn't find any specifics on it). I could be wrong; Lavani would probably be a better person to explain this than I.

This was carried over into Smash 4, and this combined with Greninja's excellent airspeed makes Dair stalling a legitimate tactic for stifling momentum and helping get away from an opponent's pursuit. Basically, if you take high enough knockback, just double jump(fastest way to escape hitstun) and immediately Dair. It's not something you can activate freely, but it has its uses.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
also, his dair spikes at early frames, not sure about the exact number tho

Top Bottom