• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's popularity

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
as far as i see there is as good as no hype around greninja. but i honestly dont get why sakurai chose to put him in in the first place. ill try him out anyway cause i think he has potential :p

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
He's in because they assumed he would be popular.
I mean come on, he's a ninja frog who uses his tongue for a scarf! What's not to love?

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't he pretty hyped when he was first revealed? I think it's the same case with Rosalina and WFT, he's just so old that the hype's died down.

Alternatively, you have the people who are bummed that he isn't Mewtwo.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
thats the problem. ive seen alot of live reactions when greninja was revealed and there was sooooooooooooooo much disappointment for not being mewtwo. but imo hes pretty cool. btw does he resemble anything special for the pokemon franchise? im not familiar with the newer pokemon episodes.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
He's just one of the more popular Pokemon from the new games, probably because he's the only starter that isn't ass.

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
Completely. I've spent way too much time reading about Smash -- well, for the past few months -- but particularly for the last two weeks. And almost nobody talks about Greninja. My best assumption is that people believe he's not very good. Everyone says Villager is OP, and therefore he's discussed more than any other character, I would argue. Other characters almost never brought up are Olimar, Wario, and Toon Link, among others. Personally, I can't wait to play Greninja.

Last edited:

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Well Olimar, Wario, and Tink are veterans, not much to get hype about when they're already playable.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
he will be hyped when he turns out to be top/high tier played by one famous player and wining every major tournament. watch it happen :p

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
Well Olimar, Wario, and Tink are veterans, not much to get hype about when they're already playable.
Sure, but there are still differences because it's a new game. Veterans are more concerning, in a way, because you really want your favorites to still be enjoyable. I love Olimar, so I'm hoping he's still awesome for 4. But he's not often discussed. Of course, I could research and find out everything I want, but I guess I'm not actually to concerned, haha. Not like I can change it, and I'm getting the game anyway. I guess this is another spoiler type thing I'm avoiding. Or at least not actively seeking.

Spirst

I actually prefer it this way. I always enjoy small groups of people to larger ones and so, having a smaller fanbase for Sm4sh Greninja appeals to me more than a massive one that's always hyping him up.

That said, he WILL gain popularity when the game is released over here and people find out he's actually a very solid character.

D

Deleted member

As an avid Pokémon fan, especially leading up to X and Y, I can confirm that he was extremely popular when he was revealed in Corocoro. Almost everybody preferred him to Delphox and Chesnaught. Once release hit, he got something else going for him besides his design- good stats and an amazing ability in Protean. He is everywhere online. I expect that he is hyped among Pokémon fans, but not so much the Smash community as a whole because Mewtwo exists.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Yeah, she's definitely the most well received of the three. Personally, I don't care for her at all but if other people like her then that's cool. I'm like the only person who chose Fennekin.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
not enough people with the game yet. this character has too many tools, too fast, and can kill too easily to be anything but amazing.

on a side note, i'd be super disappointed if delphox got in over greninja. delphox is such a horribly designed pokemon.

Spirst

not enough people with the game yet. this character has too many tools, too fast, and can kill too easily to be anything but amazing.

on a side note, i'd be super disappointed if delphox got in over greninja. delphox is such a horribly designed pokemon.
Which is a shame, considering Fennekin looked pretty good. I remember looking at the evolution chart for each starter, seeing Delphox, and thinking, "What the hell is this garbage?"

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

Which is a shame, considering Fennekin looked pretty good. I remember looking at the evolution chart for each starter, seeing Delphox, and thinking, "What the hell is this garbage?"

Heeeeeey..... I like Delphox :p

Spirst

I mean... to be fair... I feel exactly the same way about Greninja as you do about Delphox.
But this Neo-Salem, you're not allowed to have different opinions.

For real though, what do you like about Delphox's design? I ask that sincerely as I really don't dig it much.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
But this Neo-Salem, you're not allowed to have different opinions.

For real though, what do you like about Delphox's design? I ask that sincerely as I really don't dig it much.
Initially, I was kind of the same way as you. I can see why people wouldn't like him, so I understand. But he really started to grow on me as time went on, I think the concept is pretty cool too and how he uses the stick to use his attacks is pretty awesome to me. Plus, he's red so there's that. Though, I think Fennekin is my favorite of the line.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The main problem with Greninja is that it has barely been in a released game for a year now. That, and it isn't a character in the traditional sense, it's just a random Pokémon right now.

So it's hard to get hyped for a "character" that has no real background to speak of.

And personally, while he looks right up my alley and I'm interested in trying him, his moveset doesn't seem terribly new to me, IMO. He looks like the character I will have the easiest time getting used to, and I have no real attachment to him. So he's the least hype character for me (except for the clones).

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I felt the same way about Ivysaur. I mean, seriously, the chances of someone predicting that Ivysaur would appear in Brawl were 150 times slimmer than predicting Wii Fit Trainer would appear in Smash 4. Out the 600 or so pokemon that existed at the time, Ivysaur got in over fan favorites such as Blaziken or Sceptile.

That being said, many people (myself included) loved Ivysaur's unique anti-air focused moveset and are now disappointed that Ivysaur won't be returning, even though many people predicted that Ivysaur would be ripe for cutting from smash 4, and if any of the Pokemon Trainer's Trio from Brawl were to return it would definitely be Charizard.

Greninja looks cool, will probably be a top tier like Fox and Shiek, but don't expect him to return in Smash 5. Enjoy playing him while ya can.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is the SSB fandom.

How are you supposed to tell that Greninja is popular or not among the Pokemon fandom? Unless you're both a Pokemon fan and SSB fan, you're going to be blinded by your Mewtwo love.

For your information, yes, Greninja is massively popular. Smogon gushes about him, his DeviantART fanart outnumbers the other two Kalos starters, and he was voted best Gen VI Pokemon by Dorkly. This was before he was announced to be in SSB4.

It's like SSB fans loving Roy because he has a cool fiery blade. Unfortunately, he's a Mighty Glacier, therefore he sucks to competitive players. The Fire Emblem fandom, meanwhile, looks down on Roy because he's one of the blandest, most uninteresting Lords in the whole series.

Spirst

Initially, I was kind of the same way as you. I can see why people wouldn't like him, so I understand. But he really started to grow on me as time went on, I think the concept is pretty cool too and how he uses the stick to use his attacks is pretty awesome to me. Plus, he's red so there's that. Though, I think Fennekin is my favorite of the line.
I think one of the reasons Delphox isn't liked is because it seems to have went a different route than Fennekin suggested. All of a sudden, Delphox became tall, bipedal, and has fur that resembles a skirt. When I had initially seen the starters, I thought the Fennekin evolutionary line would be more conventional and that the final evolution would also be quadrupedal, and not too big a design change. I was expecting something more along the lines of:

Not the best example, sure, but you get the point.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I actually prefer it this way. I always enjoy small groups of people to larger ones and so, having a smaller fanbase for Sm4sh Greninja appeals to me more than a massive one that's always hyping him up.

That said, he WILL gain popularity when the game is released over here and people find out he's actually a very solid character.
I'm on the same exact boat as you with this.
Prefer to be a total hipster who uses an unpopular character.:grin:

However, I disagree with you re Delphox. I think it's an awesome design.

She's totally badass IMO. Cool calm fox with psychic prowess.

Last edited:

Spirst

I'm on the same exact boat as you with this.
Prefer to be a total hipster who uses an unpopular character.:grin:

However, I totally disagree with you re Delphox. I think it's an awesome design.

She's totally badass IMO. Cool calm fox with psychic prowess.
Interesting that you say 'she', considering that it's 87.5 percent likely to be male. I think of it as a 'she' as well based on the feminine characteristics but those are the numbers. Right up there with female Machamp and male Lopunny based on its gender-specific appearance.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Interesting that you say 'she', considering that it's 87.5 percent likely to be male. I think of it as a 'she' as well based on the feminine characteristics but those are the numbers. Right up there with female Machamp and male Lopunny based on its gender-specific appearance.
Yeah I was conscious of that while typing it.
I think thy should've made it at least 50/50, if not female more common.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yeah I was conscious of that while typing it.
I think thy should've made it at least 50/50, if not female more common.
All starters have that gender ratio though. I think it would be fairly interesting if the starter gender ratios were based off of the design of the Pokemon itself as opposed to following a set pattern established. Chikorita, another feminine starter, has the same issue as well.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I think he's very popular, especially in the competitive Pokemon crowd. I for one haven't been as hyped about him as I was because I'm a bit jealous he and Charizard got in over a grass starter.

Grass Pokemon always get the shaft :(

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think he's very popular, especially in the competitive Pokemon crowd. I for one haven't been as hyped about him as I was because I'm a bit jealous he and Charizard got in over a grass starter.

Grass Pokemon always get the shaft :(
I think Sceptile would fix that problem. C'mon, Sakurai! :p

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
He's still incredibly popular, especially in the OU metagame of competitive Pokemon.

Heck, Greninja's my main anchor hitter. I'd say he's really popular for competitive players and he's one of the coolest and more popular Pokemon added in Gen VI.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
If that is the case, I am a bit bummed on people. Look, I love Mewtwo as much as the next guy, but I love Greninja just as much. He's Smash's very own Strider, much in the way Lucario is the Ryu. I personally hope people start noticing how good he actually is. There is actually a tech in which he can k.o someone from 0%. Hopefully people catch on.

mochiasta

Smash Rookie
NNID
animicousD
3DS FC
4012-3962-2742
well, thanks to X and Y, F*** GRENINJA
He was so overused

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If that is the case, I am a bit bummed on people. Look, I love Mewtwo as much as the next guy, but I love Greninja just as much. He's Smash's very own Strider, much in the way Lucario is the Ryu. I personally hope people start noticing how good he actually is. There is actually a tech in which he can k.o someone from 0%. Hopefully people catch on.
Sheik can't be Smash's Strider? :4yoshi:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Greninja + Sheik teams are going to be the best

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Are you referring to the Uair gimp?

Top Bottom