• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's approaching options

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I wanna talk about Greninja's approaching options. What do you usually do? I usually use a quick shuriken and then go in for a grab. It is pretty affective. You can always hop into a Nair or something too. Anyway what do you think Greninja's best approaching options are?

Turazrok

Smash Master
I think greninja's best approach is to bait out a move then throw down the substitute doll.

The substitute doll is very cute, and will definitely distract your opponent, allowing you to slap his 3ds out of his hands.

Once this has been accomplished swiftly take his remaining stocks.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I think greninja's best approach is to bait out a move then throw down the substitute doll.

The substitute doll is very cute, and will definitely distract your opponent, allowing you to slap his 3ds out of his hands.

LOL

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085

The only weakness is if you get the log instead.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
I like using Dash attack > jab, or D-air > D-air on hit/Shadow Sneak on wiff

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
Charged Shuriken to a grab
Two uncharged Shuriken to a grab
Partial charge shuriken to a forward dash attack
Forward short hop to a charged shuriken aiming for the head
Forward jump, back jump to a charged shuriken
Back short hop to a charged shuriken
Back short hop to an uncharged shuriken to a dash attack/grab
Dash through the opponent, pivot to a grab
Short hop neutral air
Double jump down A
Forward Dash, Back Dash, Forward Dash short hop neutral air
Dash, up Smash

Ah well there are lots more ways to approach I guess, just doing lots of variations of what's available to change expectations.

T0MMY

Smash Master

I tried this at a tournament yesterday but my opponent said "why is there a pillow there?"
Then I had to explain what a Subsitute was; it lost all meaning! :^(

On the up-side, I still slapped the 3DS out of his hands and took his remaining stocks. >:^D

Turazrok

Smash Master
Excellent thinking on your feet. This kind of adaptation is what a top greninja player needs. You keep it up, you'll go far.

Spirst

Excellent thinking on your feet. This kind of adaptation is what a top greninja player needs. You keep it up, you'll go far.
I agree with this. Greninja doesn't have any firm approaching options. You can do SH nairs but those are easily shield grabbed and chasing a shuriken with a grab or DA is pretty telepgraphed for people who know what Greninja is capable of. Greninja's best option is to be adaptable. I feel like he's amongst the most adaptable characters in the game if not the most. Internalize how the other player reacts to shorthops and rushes. If they're constantly shielding, go for a grab and follow with a quick uthrow. If they're spotdodging, a shuriken can eat through it. Above all, just be very reactive.

DrTechnoBabel

Smash Rookie

Now you're thinking like a Dark-Type Pokemon! But be careful! If the other 3DS breaks, you only have precious seconds before a disconnect, so press that advantage! Also run, because the other guy will probably be SUPER pissed at this point.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'm shocked no one has mentioned BAir. His best aerial approach for sure if you space it well. The drawback is it does jack all damage.

Top Bottom