• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja: My opinions, strategies, tips, tricks and advanced techniques

ZeroLifeBowser

Smash Rookie
Did you really show me a clip of someone who has 130+ damage who was at the bottom of the map already as an example of someone being gimped? Not to mention, the guy perfectly landed the uB on the opponent. That's a 1 in a 100 chance situation there. MAYBE 1 in 50 if you're Asian. By the time someone is 130 gimping is pointless. Ness can back throw you at 80% and kill you no problem. They also removed his ability to spike unless the opponent is 150%. Zzzz you can't be ruthless in this game anymore. Edge guarding is a thing of the past now.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
The other one popping the opponent up (I think it's the uncharged version that has the low range) is also fairly solid for set-ups as well, albeit the one that pulls to you is even stronger. I'm still not even sure why it does that.

:186:
Hey where did you find that pic of Greninja in your quote? I'd like to use it as my screensaver

Spirst

Okay, not sure what's going on here exactly or why this thread is even active anymore given its age.

@ David Galanos David Galanos , that question belong as a VM or PM or in the social, not here.

@ Z ZeroLifeBowser , watch the double posts and passive-aggressiveness.

As for what's being discussed, Greninja's nerfs force him to play differently than how he could prepatch. The increase in FAF for the shuriken/usmash means more commitment while the hydro gimp means he'll be less forceful offstage. Out of the speedsters, Greninja does well in a defensive-oriented reactionary playstyle. Hydro pump CAN gimp people if you're smart about it (hydro pump horizontally then vertically rather than the other way around) but I find hydro pump to be good for setups. Yeah, you won't really be gimping people by sending them up but you will put them in position for a fair or sweetspot usmash both of which are decent KO moves.

The patch happened. It's done with. Any players still looking to play the character either need to adapt or find a new character. I understand the frustration but the passive-aggression about it on Smashboards won't change anything.

Also, this should really go in Martin's 1.0.4 patch changes thread or the social thread. This thread is pretty dated now.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
@ Z ZeroLifeBowser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhUnn_9KDuA
This showcases F-air use very well and some nice onstage Hydro Pump use. N-air combos as well.

Also check out the combo thread by MartinAW4. It lists what percents U-throw combos at along with a ton of other combos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gq9hv0hV7s
This match is also good and shows an U-throw kill.

Try not to get too frustrated with Greninja. There are a lot of resources in this forum to help you get better, so be sure to look for them and take advantage of them.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Did you really show me a clip of someone who has 130+ damage who was at the bottom of the map already as an example of someone being gimped? Not to mention, the guy perfectly landed the uB on the opponent. That's a 1 in a 100 chance situation there. MAYBE 1 in 50 if you're Asian. By the time someone is 130 gimping is pointless. Ness can back throw you at 80% and kill you no problem. They also removed his ability to spike unless the opponent is 150%. Zzzz you can't be ruthless in this game anymore. Edge guarding is a thing of the past now.
I'm pretty sure HP does the same knock back regardless of percent damage. So yes that gimp is possible from 0-999. Even if he was at 130+, he was about to get back, the only other option there wold have been going for a bair ledge spike. And HP gimps definitely are not a 1-50 chances lol. They are very reliable if you practice it...

His F air has WAY too much starting lag, I hardly ever see it land.

Want me to stop complaining? Make a video showing me everything you just said and how it's so good and works great. Up throw is unpredictable due to character size/percentage etc. So you can't really rely on it. His hydro pump doesn't "gimp" anything. Instead of pushing people back or away, it pushes them UP, which is counter productive. His shuriken doesn't stop Lucarios projectile upon contact, it simply lets his go through and you get hit which is mental. Who starts a combo with N air? Its range isn't good for 1 and it's a pain to initiate with an approach like that. Dtilt is a ***** to land, how often do you land it?
I will leave this here for you. This is aMSa, I believe the best Greninja I've seen and part of it is because of his movement and use of perfect pivots. It inspired me to give Greninja another chance because I feel similar to how you do in Greninja receiving annoying nerfs. He is most likely somewhere in mid-top, but this video makes me think he's top tier.

Also check out this guy's vine
https://vine.co/u/1135825187007569920

Last edited:

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure HP does the same knock back regardless of percent damage.
The knockback on Hydro Pump actually does increase with damage, but it is very possible to get a HP gimp even at 0%, especially against recoveries or attacks that are weak to it like Ike`s or Shulk`s Up B, or Yoshi`s/Link`s Dair.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Oh yeah I forgott amsa plays Greninja. Maybe he can rep Greninja more. Literally every Greninja i've seen after wii u gets like 2-0'd

Tster2001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tster2001
I'm relatively new to the competitive side of smash and so some of the terms are a little bit tricky, and after reading through your post I was slightly confused as to what you meant about some advanced tech. I wasn't quite sure what you were aiming for, and thought I should bring up something I figured out while fooling around in training. (Again if this is a rehash of the post I'm sorry, new to the competitive terms.) When spiking characters at certain parts of their hit-box they fly up or diagonally. Similar to what you mentioned in the post this can be done repeatedly. Interestingly enough this can be used to get back to the stage when you normally can't recover. i.e. Spiking off Bowser's head multiple times to get back on the stage at Hyrule Temple. It allows for potentially endless jumps and will leave the opponent in a helpless state. AGAIN, sorry if this is rehashing, but at least it will be easier for some of us... less educated... to understand. (This comment posted as of Update 4.1 for SSB4U.)

EDIT: Wow I'm stupid, was thinking of a different game when I put down the version of SSB4U.
Current version is 1.0.7

Last edited:
Top Bottom