• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

grenade grab

link2213

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is already known, if it is, sorry lock this.

Anyway, i was playing around and i tried dropping the grenade with z instead of with the shield. I noticed that he did the grab animation. So, being the deductive genius that i am, i tried it doing that to actually grab and d-throw. It worked. Obviously you need to cook the grenade enough for this to be useful (if its useful at all). I noticed that some times snake wouldn't take damage from the grenade but other times he would.

If i had the ability to get a video up i would :'(. I may be able to get a friend to record over wifi.

Again, I don't know if this is useful. i know its kinda situational but i thought it was pretty neat. Sorry again if this is old news, i couldn't find it anywhere.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
If you time it correctly Snake will still take damage (unless your doing something differently) but he just won't move or flinch from the damage.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Nah, not sure if this is already known. I just know that Snake won't be moved by the grenade's explosion due to other things like tossing grenades and grabbing people.

I've personally never tried grabbing a person while holding a grenade, so that's new information for me. :)

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
From the Les Enfants Terribles Thread.

link2213 said:
Snaaaake! said:
I just found something out- you can, I realize, grenage drop by grabbing. I can't make it work 100% of the time, but you can pull out a grenade, grab them, which drops the grenade at your feet, then throw them any way but down (up only works if they have around 100-150 damage [for a character with Diddy's weight, I tested it on him.] on them, but if the grenade hits them after you throw 'em up, it's a kill, far as I can tell.), pick up the grenade, wait, until they land (except for the up-throw), and throw the ready-to-blast grenade at the enemy, defenseless, as the were just thrown.

EDIT- I can't seem to make this post actually post. How odd.
Lol wow....i just saw this now. I made a thread about this 4 hours after you posted this.
Anyway, let's keep this thread open. I think it's a valid technique, and is better to discuss on its own thread than on the guild thread. And I like the name you came up for it... GRenade grabbing. Technichally what you found was an aspect of what I found that I considered too ridky (don't want to blow yourself up) and too likely for the enemy to roll away too fast, but it's still the same idea. Everyone, read the center quotebox in this post if you skipped over it to find the better, more deadly versions of this attack.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
i do this a lot but i never hold him until it explodes. i always downthrow and shield. what this does is prevent him from idling on the ground. he has to decide where to roll immediately, and if i've got a read i can punish that. the explosion will rarely hit the guy unless i've timed it perfectly.

i think if he was a high enough % to die from a nade, he'd die from a back throw also. or atleast go flying far enough so you could edgeguard him

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
No, there's the trick- throw him (or her) closer to an edge, then finish the job with a grenade. That's the basic premise. But the execution is more complicated, as you have to draw the grenade, grab the enemy, throw them (preferably not down if going for a kill and not damage) and then pick up & toss the grenade at them. I suggest practicing it in training mode.

EDIT- Also, It's practical enough for me to get it to work against lvl 7 (have not tried harder) opponents fairly often and even once a RL friend, who I blasted off the top of the screen with it.

Top Bottom