• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great Pillar of Doom

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Hold down and press A as fast as you can.

C'mon, we've all used the great pillar of doom. When do you use the great pillar of doom? And, more importantly, do you find the great pillar of doom necessary for the awesome-Ness?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
The 'pillar of doom' is escapable after like the first hit. It has no range, very little priority, and does extremely low damage. It's only useful for mindgames. And all you people saying you use it, trust me, mindgames.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
...I think that was sarcasm. Or mindgames. Minsk got mindgames'd.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Please stop that. Also, regardless of whether he was joking or not, it's still important to address the ACTUAL usefulness of the ability for anyone who might read this topic.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fire form of PS, as long as they think they can't break out... cuz they can, or I just did it wrong... but it worked against better players, and then a BOWSER MAIN (using Fox) breaks out wtih shine...

If it works on Chinesah but not on a bowser main then I will SD... and it did... *sd's*

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Please stop that. Also, regardless of whether he was joking or not, it's still important to address the ACTUAL usefulness of the ability for anyone who might read this topic.
Can't it be good to spam at the very edge against someone like the marvelous Captain Falcon?
Edit: (When he's recovering, of course. Otherwise, it wouldn't be necessary).

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm not technical enough to do this consistantly, but i've always wondered if

DjC n.air -> d.tilt

could work as a ness pillar?

I imagined it would work about the same as peach pillaring ( FC n.air -> jab (jab) )

I've tried it a lil bit, and i've gotten it to work some, but im not technical enough with ness to keep it consistant.

Levitas

the moon
Ness has the disadvantage of not being able to FC, but someone should look up the frames.

And flarefox, lay off the caps/huge font. It's obnoxious, and is a good way to get simna to toy with you. And you don't want that.

Does anyone know if fox falls far enough off of the downtilt to make it worthwhile as an edgeguard against him?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Unless you're planning on doing it a lot to rack up a bit of damage, it'd say don't try.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Dtilt edgeguard is decent against a lot of people. Fox is pretty good. People who don't know Ness won't expect it and might fall too far. I don't do it often though, although I'm anti-formula, so you never know.

I used to use Dtilt more...in combat, but now I neutral A combo instead, as disruption.

& BTW I've always called it Piston Pumping...or PPing, as in, "dood, I just PP'd all over you."

DD151

Smash Journeyman
I'm not technical enough to do this consistantly, but i've always wondered if

DjC n.air -> d.tilt

could work as a ness pillar?

I imagined it would work about the same as peach pillaring ( FC n.air -> jab (jab) )

I've tried it a lil bit, and i've gotten it to work some, but im not technical enough with ness to keep it consistant.
actually i've looked this up before. ness is at a huge disadvantage when compared to peach, at least when looking at how long it takes for him to dtilt from a nair. peach has at least 6 frames between landing from nair and the first hit of jab, while ness has at least 14 frames between landing from nair and the first hit of dtilt (this is assuming that crouching has no lag).

in addition, ness's nair range is MUCH worse than peach's nair range (his uair has more horizontal range than his nair) and it's subsequently very difficult to even begin pressuring with ness. me14k also tells me that peach's nair has more shieldhitstun than ness's, making it easier to do something OoS against him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Ness doesn't have combos. Ness has mindgames which make your opponent kill him/herself and fool the Gamecube into thinking it was a KO.

Top Bottom