• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great KILL technique I found with Sonic!!

Fr0g

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone I'm new here, I've been playing SSB series since it came out and now I've been practicing all week with Sonic, hoping that mastering his speed will make me a better player. Anyways, I figured out in about 10 minutes that sonics list of kill moves were limited to his final smash, a charged smash attack, and item bs. Well it was about the time I first tried online mode and got stuck with the training dummy for a while i figured out a VERY CHEAP KILL for sonic to abuse.

Basically, you first want to play normal and pile up some damage, 50 is enough if you can smack them high enough in the air. All you really need to do is get them off screen at the top of the screen, or close to it. As soon as they are close to the top of the screen, spring yourself at them and up+a (Time if perfectly, takes some practice) and if they are off screen and it connects, kills every time.

This trick works best on opponents in hitlag or offscreen, or both. Its easy to jump, then spring, to hit opponents that almost got KOed anyway. I'd say about 1/4 kills I get with sonic are using this trick, and I'm still perfecting it.

The spring up+a combo can be used to ***** the edges and ***** people on platforms above you aswell. Get creative with it and share your experiences...

-Fr0g

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
Yeah, that's been confirmed for a while and has been seen in a good amount of Sonic play. =/
You didn't have to say like that. He said he's new here and was trying to share some techniques.

Anyway, to comment about your find, Fr0g, you'll probably have a hard time trying that with people who can DI correctly. And good luck trying to do it in a 4 man Free For All.

Umby

Smash Master
You didn't have to say like that. He said he's new here and was trying to share some techniques.
He'll encounter worse on other sections of Smashboards. It's not like I completely flamed him and went "LOL DUMB@SS". It was more like "Sorry man, it's been done. :("

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
I know...

At least the guys in my Main(s) Character Boards are somewhat civil to other people.

I guess I just had a bug in my *** for a second there. Oh well, "No Harm, No Foul," right?

Fr0g

Smash Rookie
Well I figured it had been done before, I'm new here and I honestly don't know the terms to type in to find it in a search. I've been reading around here for a couple hours now so I could probably find it now. I did discover this move on day 1 with sonic though, im sure some of you guys probably knew about it before the game even came out in america lol!

But it is very abusable, I got a cheapass kill in event 41 with this trick. When my bro/friends are in the air they rarely see it coming because half the time I have to sprint directly below them and spring at the same time to line it up...

and on 4 man melee its easier, cause you don't have to pop them up in the air yourself, it gives you more time and more unpredictability. If someone gets hit into the air, you run up with your wtfspeed and steal the kill! As unfair as it may be, winning 4 man melee with any char is best accomplished by hitting people that are already distracted with someone else.

Really this has more and more potential every day I practice with it, I feel its an important asset to sonic because its a kill tactic and we all know sonics kill moves are a little limited.

Without items or final smash, this technique is what i've found best of KO people at a significantly lower % then it would normally take for sonic to pop a kill. If i get the op I always incorporate this.

Umby

Smash Master
I wouldn't really call it cheap. It's not like you're inputting a code to immobilize opponent in the air so you can pull it off. It actually requires technique and timing, not like spamming Pit's Angel Ring on Link every 5 seconds.

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
It seems you need to go really high after them to hit and kill with it. Maybe a dair afterwards to get back to the ground faster?

Station

Smash Cadet
Good tip, yeah it seems the best way to kill with Sonic, atleast against much heavier foes, i'm looking at you bowser! Is to always follow up your attacks when trying to smash them off the screen. His homing attack also works particularly well when stopping a recovery from the side of the stage.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
I have used that technique a couple of times myself. I am pretty good at the timing on it as well. Its pretty good for KOing people.

Fr0g

Smash Rookie
Great replies!

@Umby
Thanks for finding a video that demonstrates this technique! Notice that you don't even have to be offscreen to get killed by this. Also, your right about calling it cheap, pulling it off nicely does take skill, a great deal more then a lot of other chars kill shot moves.

@Ionizer
Yes! The dair is excellent for chaining this trick! But using it to get back to the ground is one this, I like to use it to get back down to the spring. If you line it up so that you hit the spring with the dair you obviously will bounce again. Thats the fastest way i've found to hit the spring twice! Also, they don't really have to be THAT high in the air depending on the damage, but for a low damage kill usually you have to kick them when they are already offscreen. Watch the video umby posted at 55 seconds to see a kill where meta knight isnt even very high in the air, but hes has 90% damage.

@Station
Oh hell yeah it works on heavier foes. Big targets are easy to hit especially if your used to smacking around little guys with sonics tiny hit boxes. I've heard of that homing attack trick but I usually try and use my backair kick to edge guard people, but I should start throwing in the homing attack to keep em on their toes.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
I've never thought od using this as a viable kill move.

Nice find mate.

I'm going to definetly try this out when I get to my friend's house. lol

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
If we can find some good moves in the air that can chain up to this, I think this would give sonic a potent weapon. However as it is the only thing that i find comes close is netural a as everything else has too much knockback

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
This is awesome, yeah, but it's really tough for me to do..

What's Sonic's best move to launch an opponent into the air? I can Up-Throw them but it'd be easier to end a combo in somethign that pops them, and then KO with this method..

Thanks.

Skazryk

Smash Apprentice
a huge problem with that is the predictability, he falls slow, so if you do that and they dodge then they can hit you really easily, the only hope out of that is a dair.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
They can midair or attack you before you can get up there. If you hit with it, then you either predicted perfectly, got lucky, or were fighting a scrub. I get about one of these every 4-5 matches, at best. It'll work a lot at first, but then your opponents will figure out that they can beat it, and they'll do it every time they can.

Still, uthrow spring bair is great against most chars, if spaced right.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Well, I may just fight mostly scrubs (I do win probably >95% of matches against friends and get no WiFi love), but in my experience with the uthrow-upb-uair combo, there's a very small "sweet spot" % that lets you get the move off just before they can air dodge or nair you back. It seems to be only 5-10% on either side, and of course varies on character weight. Seems to be around 100 for characters like Kirby and closer to 140-150 for Bowser/DeDeDe.

But again, it may be that I'm playing scrubs.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
There are certain percents where you can nail them pretty well, but they normally aren't killing percents. In conjunction, if they DI, you aren't going to hit with the uair. However, I like it when they DI slightly, and I get to nail them with a free bair. Mmhmm.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I actually appreciate that he posted this, because I was having a hard time finding a move besides Smash-A to KO with. Sounds kind of cheap, but Sonic doesn't have a lot of moves with knockback!

Umby

Smash Master
its UMBY!!!!!
Hello, I am Umby.

Back on topic.
I've found that I can normally connect a spin dash to uair and combo out of that, but that's only due to the fact that I only JUST got a Wii last night (and immediately unlocked all characters) and haven't been able to vs anyone.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I don't have my wii in front of me right now but I belive using d-air + spring may be a viable way to put the enemy up and get some distance between the two of you. This would allow for you to anticipate any possiable dodge/counter-attack and di movements.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Airdodging just owns this. I don't think it's going to work more than twice if your opponent sees it coming. I use it too, but I combo into it (as far as comboing goes in this game). Like side/down b into up-air - > spring upair. KO. Btw, for Upair to kill at 50%, your opponent must be really high up in the screen.

Anyways Fr0g, nice job finding this by yourself. I think that's the way people should learn how to play anyway.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
i rather the forward air than the up air myself, especially on characters with ****ty horizontal recovery.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
That seems to be the most popular kill with sonic honestly though. Sad thing is people are going to start predicting it and dodging.

Top Bottom