• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Junction, CO March 21 G.O.W.C.'s First Tournament

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Gamers and Otaku of Western Colorado (G.O.W.C.) is proud to present its first ever tournament.
Come compete against the best Grand Junction has to offer and win great prizes.
Prizes are
1st: 60% of the pot
2nd: 30% of the pot
3rd: 10% of the pot

So we gain 0% profit.
What games you ask, well there will be:
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Dead or Alive 4
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)

Price: $10 for each singles tournament and $10 per team for the Brawls Teams

When: March 21, 2009

Where at you ask? Well it will be located at:
Xian Wei Restaurant
1530 North Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-8131

What rules you ask?
General Rules
• If a player doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 2 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
• In the case of a console/TV/Routing malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
• Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
• Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing (providing tips or heckling and other forms of verbal abuse). Breaking of this rule will result in ejection of the spectator, and in extreme cases, forfeit of the game. Cheering is encouraged, however.
• Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection.
• Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles
• 3 stock
• 7 min time limit
• Stage selection set to random, loser of previous round selects stage
• Starter: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 1
• Counter Pick: All Random Stages, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, Frigrate Orpheon, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, Brinstar, Isle Delfino, Lylat Cruise, Halberd
• Banned Stages: Norfair, Luigi's Mansion, Mushroomy Kingdom (both versions), Rumble Falls, Eldin Bridge, Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Port Town Aero Dive, Castle Siege, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, New Pork City, The Summit, Skyworld, 75m, Mario Bros., Flat Zone 2, PictoChat, Hanenbow, Shadow Moses Island, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Onett, Big Blue
• Items: OFF

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Teams
• 3 Stock
• 7 min time limit
• Team Attack: ON
• Life Stealing: Allowed
• Random Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 1, Smashville
• Counter Pick: Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, Frigrate Orpheon, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, Brinstar, Lylat Cruise, Luigi's Mansion, Isle Delfino
• Banned Stages: Norfair, Mushroomy Kingdom (both versions), Rumble Falls, Eldin Bridge, Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Port Town Aero Dive, Castle Siege, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, New Pork City, The Summit, Skyworld, 75m, Mario Bros., Flat Zone 2, PictoChat, Hanenbow, Shadow Moses Island, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island(Melee), Onett, Big Blue
• Friendly Fire - On
• Items - OFF

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
• Default Settings 2/3 prelims, 3/5 semifinals, 4/7 finals

Soul Calibur 2
1. The tournament brackets will be single elimination.
2. Matches will consist of three rounds, with the best of three moving on to the next round.
3. An additional round will be played if there is a tie due to double KO.
4. The mode of play will be VS. Battle.
5. All battles will start at 100% health. All Levels will be used and selected at random.
6. If a player experiences Knock out, Ring out or Time up they will lose the round.
7. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or freezing the game intentionally will result in an automatic disqualification.

Dead or Alive 4
Battle Mode: Single Battle
Game type: Best of 5 rounds
Rounds: Max. 5 rounds/match
Round time: 99 seconds
Character availability: All characters
Levels: Random (Danger Zones are turned off)
Life Gauge: Maximum

Any Questions? Show up or miss out on the fun!

Shea Machost

Smash Rookie
Ok as the other founding father of this organization I would love to tell you that this tournament day will be the biggest thing to hit the western slope gaming scene. However as our first official event (we held another touney under a different banner with a less than great turnout) I can not guarentee the vastness of this event.

All that aside me and my partner Lusiris have hit Grand Junction and the surronding towns with enough of an advertising blitzkreig to make it to where you can't open your own toilet seat without finding a GOWC flyer. So if you can manage a car pool or whatever i strongly recommend supporting us in our first endevor to build a grand western Colorado gaming scene.

The event itself will run from Noon till 9 30 at night with tourneys, casuals, and so on. i can guarentee that it will be worth your time to spar with me and the rest of the attendees.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
You should go Flux. Then I can beat all of CO's Wario players in one fell swoop ;D

Also, Eastern CO would like to do a crew battle in Brawl. You otaku up for that?

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
You should go Flux. Then I can beat all of CO's Wario players in one fell swoop ;D

Also, Eastern CO would like to do a crew battle in Brawl. You otaku up for that?
Totally and I would like to meet Flux because there are way too few of us Wario players and Wario doubles are so much fun.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Well I hope to see you there G-Man33 and let me tell you it will be a ton of fun but if you can't make it, we will be going Wasabi Cutthroat event and we are going to kick some but.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Come on Flux, you and I both need the practice if we're gonna be any sort of good at Genesis. Plus, we can go out for ice cream when I win =D

Shea Machost

Smash Rookie
When you win you say? Perhaps.... But you can believe my brigade won't go easy on you!

"Also, Eastern CO would like to do a crew battle in Brawl. You otaku up for that?"

We would be glad to take the challenge. Lusiris is both the co head of our group and my partner in doubles our Wario and Sonic team will take you on! You won't be able to miss the staff members who will be in cosplay myself as Blood Falcon and Lusiris as Wario. Not to mention that Smash is hardly the only game going for this event.

Also I will be at the Anime Wasabi event next weekend and will stop in for a bit....probably.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
One thing I do have an issue with is this rule: • Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing (providing tips or heckling and other forms of verbal abuse). Breaking of this rule will result in ejection of the spectator, and in extreme cases, forfeit of the game. Cheering is encouraged, however.

ESPECIALLY for MvC2, that game is all about **** talk. But regardless, where is the line between cheering and heckling drawn? Can you say "**** son, quit beasting so much!" or is that heckling? If your cheers at someone who was getting beat and did something right sound sarcastic, will you be accused of heckling? I understand that it should be an enjoyable experience, but competition thrives on...well, being competitive. It just seems like a vague and somewhat odd rule.

Shea Machost

Smash Rookie
Nah we won't crack down on guys having a good time but if someone is spotted being a disturbance or obvious forms of verbal abuse then we will know but if their just smack talking one another then it should be fine.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
One thing I do have an issue with is this rule: • Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing (providing tips or heckling and other forms of verbal abuse). Breaking of this rule will result in ejection of the spectator, and in extreme cases, forfeit of the game. Cheering is encouraged, however.

ESPECIALLY for MvC2, that game is all about **** talk. But regardless, where is the line between cheering and heckling drawn? Can you say "**** son, quit beasting so much!" or is that heckling? If your cheers at someone who was getting beat and did something right sound sarcastic, will you be accused of heckling? I understand that it should be an enjoyable experience, but competition thrives on...well, being competitive. It just seems like a vague and somewhat odd rule.
Its really just "at our own discretion" rule its there to make sure no one gets too personal like some people do. We just want people to have a good time and enjoy the event but you can joke around with your friends as much as you want. We just don't want you cussing out some 15 year old and his mom giving us a call and threatening to sue us. We are just trying to cover our backs. Just use common sense and you should be fine.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
good times folks, good times. You guys ran that thing quite well, and was fun to play different people for once. I hope you guys managed to get something out of it, knowledge wise. I'd say you all need to focus on mobility and move choice at the moment. Some moves may feel lame to use, but they're the right choice for a reason. See you at Wasabi.

Top Bottom