• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing with Villager?

Fudgenuggets

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fudgenuggets
3DS FC
3609-1364-2981
If that's even a thing?
Seriously though, his grab sucks. Long startup and ending lag, which are both easily punishable for. Shield grabbing doesn't work for me most of the time because the startup lag lets your opponent easily roll and punish.
Or am I doing something wrong? Any strategies to efficiently use his grab?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
i think 1.0.4 shortens some of the endlag so that makes it a bit more usable (or its placebo lol)

that being said, since the range is so bad you're probably better in every situation going for something else. a pivot grab is really the only grab that villager has decent range on and even then with the endlag it has, you have to be sure it's gonna hit.

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
- Launch side b
- Run with it
- If the opponent roll in your direction, stop running and grab him
- If the opponent roll backward, he'll get hit by the missile
- If the opponent just shield the missile, grab him
- If the opponent do a short hop to dodge the missile, usmash him
- If the opponent do a large jump to dodge the missile, try to fair/uair him

Best option for throwing is downthrow at low % (or upthrow for lil mac so you can have fun with him in the air) and backthrow when you're close to the edge of the stage

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Yeah Villager's grab is all sorts of bad. Pivot grabbing isn't bad as it has decent range but is still has that awful recovery so you need to commit to that grab and hope your opponent didn't roll away. As with most things that are all around bad but have their uses i tend to use Villager's grab as a secret weapon to punish block happy opponents.

Pusha

Smash Rookie
I definitely find his grab awful. Plus his role has too much end lag and covers too short of a distance. All this makes it very easy to be punished against fast characters

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Their throws and pummels are pretty decent though, and the grab itself does have a decent range, so it pays off when you manage to land it. You just gotta be more careful and patient and grab when you know you have a good opportunity.

Hong

The Strongest
It's honestly a fair exchange given Villager is a character with immense grab opportunity, thanks to Lloid mixups. Backthrow is not a bad kill option, as well, so it can translate to having a character that can actually finish their business... something other fighters lack.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I find his grab to be...interesting, because it can net aerial opponents like jiggs and kirby.

It's not the fastest, but for overhead enemies, it would be, as the net wouldn't have to travel as far.

Top Bottom