• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing Techniques

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
Who's got better grabs than Olimar?
Olimar's got reach, speed, and PURPLE PIKMIN.
Now, we really should focus on this and see how destructive it can get.
Me, personally, I would use the grab+throw down, followed with fair. Almost always works!
And, I know that there are other combos one could follow up with, so tell me what you guys do.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Who's got better grabs than Olimar?
Olimar's got reach, speed, and PURPLE PIKMIN.
Now, we really should focus on this and see how destructive it can get.
Me, personally, I would use the grab+throw down, followed with fair. Almost always works!
And, I know that there are other combos one could follow up with, so tell me what you guys do.
It's all situational, that seems to be the preferred at lower percentages, hopefully turning it into a Textbook combo. But there's also the possibility of following it with an Up-Smash or a Down-Smash depending on their percents.

HaVoK x

Smash Rookie
It's all situational, that seems to be the preferred at lower percentages, hopefully turning it into a Textbook combo. But there's also the possibility of following it with an Up-Smash or a Down-Smash depending on their percents.
ive been having alot of luck following up the throw with an up smash or fair

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
An improved textbook combo as far as my testing has let me go is this.
From very low precent:
Grab -> Dthrow -> FAir -> DTilt -> USmash

Should be between 41%-46% and they are above you asking to be juggled, easily works into another FAir but at that point i have to believe the combo is escapable, though it seems likely you'll get keep momentum at least.

Not a grab combo, but another nifty trick at middle percents is a DAir -> USmash. Try it yourself to get a good idea of which characters you can do this to at what percents, it depends on how floaty they are and seems slightly influenced by straight up or down DI, but yeah this is starting to over analyze, its useful if you see yourself in a position to DAir that isn't a spike. Also if your not familiar with DAir spend 5 minutes in training figuring out its timing, it has a nasty landing lag at certain parts of the animation that can be avoided with the right timing, which obviously helps getting the up smash timing.

So yeah, I'm only starting to get used to the move set, No doubt there will be more to follow but this is what I have so far. Really hope Olimar proves to be combo capable, would love a long list of these and combo vids =P

-True

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
From very low precent:

Should be between 41%-46% and they are above you asking to be juggled, easily works into another FAir but at that point i have to believe the combo is escapable, though it seems likely you'll get keep momentum at least.

Not a grab combo, but another nifty trick at middle percents is a DAir -> USmash. Try it yourself to get a good idea of which characters you can do this to at what percents, it depends on how floaty they are and seems slightly influenced by straight up or down DI, but yeah this is starting to over analyze, its useful if you see yourself in a position to DAir that isn't a spike. Also if your not familiar with DAir spend 5 minutes in training figuring out its timing, it has a nasty landing lag at certain parts of the animation that can be avoided with the right timing, which obviously helps getting the up smash timing.

So yeah, I'm only starting to get used to the move set, No doubt there will be more to follow but this is what I have so far. Really hope Olimar proves to be combo capable, would love a long list of these and combo vids =P

-True
epiiicc... I'll try out some variational testings with all characters, especially the Olimar counters. (space animals, sheik, meta knight)

Heard of the 0-death combo, of course? it's easy to do, if the opponent's not DIing...ha.

Over the edge though, always go for the \/dair. you could always get the timing right, get lucky, or at least hit them away from the edge. I just love getting an easy overstock on them from the spike.

there's some confusion over getting back to the edge though, with the problem of possibly gimped ^b chain after the spike. this is just a little problem, easily overcome by some practice.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
From very low precent:
The combo works well against people who DI down (who knows why), but even at low percents if they DI up and away the fair generally misses from my experience. I tend to pursue dthrows from low percents with a uair, just because I assume they're going to DI up and away.

Top Bottom