• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab help please

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Hey, I want to main as pikachu now, you pros have inspired me... it's really hard to get away from the sheer power of fox though x.x

well, one of the biggest troubles im noticing from playing pikachu is his horrid grab range. I tend to not grab at all because i have so much trouble just getting so close... any suggestions. I try shuffling fair to a grab, but its no guarantees O_o"

Also, is pikachu a good main? I tried maining Ness once, and it just went straight down the gutter. What makes pika any different?

Anther

Smash Champion
Personally I didn't know about the tier list when I started to play real smash. And no one ever really left me behind with any characters, and I always found sounding to counter everything else... so.. Pika's a decent main. It's certainly not as easy because of all the literature you can find on other characters, and getting good at certain things necessary for pika to win tends to not pay off as say... learning to up-throw-up-air with fox.

People like you a lot more though if you can with him though =].

Jump cancelling your grabs helps a lot with Pikachu range... we'll call it a challenge. You just have to learn to accept that your grab will never be good enough though ;_;.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
note taken. Thanks a lot. I've also learned, pikachu is a biatch when it comes to short hopping (quick *******)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Pika is one of the hardest to short hop with. You'll get it eventually though, just keep practicing.

Also for your grab problem, try different variations to approach with grab to make it easier for you.

dtilt-jcgrab

nair-jcgrab (nair through the opponent and grab from behind)

Tech chase them and grab them.

a lot of different ways to set up for grab.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
teching, i think usually refers to a person pressing R or L as they're hitting the ground from an attack, which allows the character to jump back on their feet and recover, as opposed to slamming into the ground and getting back up. sometimes they'll do this and press a direction, causing the character to roll to that direction. so i think tech chasing is being able to predict which way a person is going to tech, follow the tech, and then attacking them as their roll finishes

ndelz87

Smash Apprentice
When i use pika... i try and use mind games to get the grab... i use the joystick and run back and forth and when the ither person stubles i go in for the grab....YOU CAN TRY THAT....but j cancel is the best for his grab...

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Pikachu is a pretty fun chain grabber also though. Throw up, then catch and throw up again.
Don't forget Pikachu's killer U-Smash.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
i just realized...a lot of my grabs come from shield grabbing.if that's the case, range shouldnt be too much of a problem for you. but i dont think you should be approaching with the intent to grab...unless you're gonna shffl into it

Top Bottom