• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a new PS3: Stupid move?

Was replacing my PS3 the best move?

• Total voters

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Please read my explanation before voting.

I was one of the first people to grab up the PS3. My old version could still play PS2 games. Over time I built up a nice collection of PS2 games I hadn't gotten to play in the previous gen and some PS3 games I wanted.

About half a year ago, my faithful Old model of 6 years finally got the YLOD, which sadly plagued all the early models at one point or another. IN spite of that, getting 6 years out of it made me feel like it was well worth the price.

However, now I had to decide whether to get a PS4 or Wii U or the like or just simply replace my PS3. At that time, I decided I was going to replace my PS3.

My reason: PS4 does not have backwards compatibility. Now I know the explanation as to why the new generation can't play older console games and I know playstation is attempting to create a system for streaming those games to the PS4 and all that, but still Backwards compatability was a big reason why I went PS3 in the first place. Admittedly I can no longer play my PS2 games, but since I own them I can use them with an emulator and the PS2 emulators work really well.

So I went PS3 so I can at least play the game I currently own. I love the Tales games mostly and I know for at least one more entry they will be on the PS3.

The only thing I'm sad about is KH3 being on PS4 and not 3, but I'll survive.

So, now that I've not managed to explain myself very well, what are your thoughts as a gaming community?

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
PS3 has a great library and since you have a decent amount of games for it, I'd say you made the right move. I just think currently PS4 and WiiU has less to choose from (not saying there aren't great titles on either) and this way the games you do have aren't going to waste. That's just my opinion though!

I have a PS3 as well and i know there are still so many games that I want to play before I'm done with it. Tales games are actually in that list. Heard they're great!

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
PS3 has a great library and since you have a decent amount of games for it, I'd say you made the right move. I just think currently PS4 and WiiU has less to choose from (not saying there isn't great titles on either) and this way the games you do have aren't going to waste. That's just my opinion though!

I have a PS3 as well and i know there are still so many games that I want to play before I'm done with it. Tales games are actually in that list. Heard they're great!
They are! I'm sad I have to start from scratch as the new game+ for tales games is some of the best new game+ mechanics I've seen in games, and almost always the characters are stories are a bunch of fun!

Starting with Graces F again then I'll move to Xillia, Xillia 2 and finally Tales of Symphonia chronicles

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You made the right choice. With the way game development is now, it'll take awhile before the library for next (this) gen to start building up. I would've done the same since there are a lot of PS3 games I want to replay or haven't played yet.

Next year you also have Persona 5 and Tales of Zestiria to look forward to.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
I think WiiU would have been your next best option. The PS4 and XBone are both severely lacking in software, and that will probably continue to be a problem until like a year from now, I'm only considering an XBone because I want to play Halo 2 again.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Seconding everyone saying you made a solid choice. Honestly, I'd wait until about halfway through or toward the end of the new consoles' lifespans to pick one up, just so you're not waiting for all of the good stuff t'come out.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Why do you need strangers to validate this decision for you?
I was mostly just curious. I'm not really trying to ask for validation, but it's hard for me to tell how the current market of gaming is shaping up since I'm busy at work and generally don't keep up with that stuff. So I figured I would ask in a more discussion style manner.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
I was mostly just curious. I'm not really trying to ask for validation, but it's hard for me to tell how the current market of gaming is shaping up since I'm busy at work and generally don't keep up with that stuff. So I figured I would ask in a more discussion style manner.
I can wrap it up for you.
PS4 garnered hype because it took away less features than Microsoft were initially going to with the XBone.
PS4 sold a respectable amount but it has no games.
XBone sold less and has no games.
The WiiU is a thing that will soon have games.

TheAppleFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheAppleFreak
When you decide to upgrade to a current-gen system, may I recommend purchasing/building a PC, or purchasing a Steam Machine? The initial hardware cost does tend to be a bit higher than a console (with carefully chosen parts, a good gaming PC can be had for ~$500, though the price/performance sweet spot typically lies around $700-$850), but if you want backwards compatibility then Windows is second to none. Games also tend to be much cheaper on Steam, often rivaling or surpassing preowned games (and then there are the Steam Sales, which is kind of like Christmas for PC gamers and Armaggedon for bank accounts). And just for good measure, you usually can just plug in controllers and have them work out of the box in most games. It's very nice for playing on a TV.

Granted, I'll admit I'm a bit biased, but it's definitely something to consider.

Top Bottom