• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got A Friend Who's New To Smash? Here Are Some Pointers

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Something tells me all of you nerds have not seen many new players/kids play. They use a lot of c-stick, and (with Kirby/Pikachu) a lot of down+b. They can go entire matches doing just that. And it's a great way for BEGINNERS to start.

'omfg y he no cver up+B facking moreon so bad'
to you peeps: get over it. That's probably gonna be under intermediate tips. This vid was just the equivalent of Melee's single button mode; they boiled it down to how to move and how to KO.

'omfg, he saiz to uze up on cntrul stick! Trolololol bad'

Need I remind you, there was a melee player who did everything while jumping with control stick. Even Wavedashing. Is it the best option? No. But it's the most logical one to new players; considering most other fighters use up to jump it's more intuitive for a lot of them

Sooooo, most of you need to stop talking, stop raging over a BASIC tutorial that covered the BASICS. You're all elitist and kind of scummy.
You're the one being salty. In the very first page i simply mentioned that he forgot something. You are exaggerating every post just to be right and piss everyone off? Is that supposed to accomplish us saying "Oh sorry next time we'll be more forgiving". So we are elitist for not thinking a tutorial is good? Would be an elitist, and would you tell yourself this if you didn't like this video? If not, you are a hypocrite and do not know the difference between posting your opinions on the video, and insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

Nobody said Tap Jump was bad here. I use it, and i have been ever since i started Smash when i was 8. Again, on page 1 i was calmly, emphasis on calmly saying that they should have mentioned Up-B. You can go through a whole match with C-stick, but if you save it for killing, you're going to do better. Is this a guide for beginners to know random stuff, or for beginners to do better? If it's the former, this video gets an 11/10. If not, it gets a 4/10 for me. L button isn't for jump ans shouldn't be set to jump, going through a whole match with C-stick is bad, and there's a difference between underestimating the viewer's intelligence(anyone too old for video games is smart enough to learn how to walk and jump.), and doing that, and feeding them bad info.

Thanks for the post made of :salt:. It just proved you can't accept different opinions. I get some people may think this tutorial is good, depends on what you see it for.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
You're the one being salty. In the very first page i simply mentioned that he forgot something. You are exaggerating every post just to be right and piss everyone off? Is that supposed to accomplish us saying "Oh sorry next time we'll be more forgiving". So we are elitist for not thinking a tutorial is good? Would be an elitist, and would you tell yourself this if you didn't like this video? If not, you are a hypocrite and do not know the difference between posting your opinions on the video, and insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

Nobody said Tap Jump was bad here. I use it, and i have been ever since i started Smash when i was 8. Again, on page 1 i was calmly, emphasis on calmly saying that they should have mentioned Up-B. You can go through a whole match with C-stick, but if you save it for killing, you're going to do better. Is this a guide for beginners to know random stuff, or for beginners to do better? If it's the former, this video gets an 11/10. If not, it gets a 4/10 for me. L button isn't for jump ans shouldn't be set to jump, going through a whole match with C-stick is bad, and there's a difference between underestimating the viewer's intelligence(anyone too old for video games is smart enough to learn how to walk and jump.), and doing that, and feeding them bad info.

Thanks for the post made of :salt:. It just proved you can't accept different opinions. I get some people may think this tutorial is good, depends on what you see it for.
Your being just as, and more satly as @ Dark Lady Dark Lady
Clam down

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
L button isn't for jump and shouldn't be set to jump,
Well...

:GCX::GCY: and:GCU:are all set to jump. However you can change the control how you want.

But you need realize that some of us like to set jump on other things...
even :GCLT:.

Quit being a ego and just appect that we like differnt controllers and differnt buttons

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Well...

:GCX::GCY: and:GCU:are all set to jump. However you can change the control how you want.

But you need realize that some of us like to set jump on other things...
even :GCLT:.

Quit being a ego and just appect that we like different controllers and differnt buttons
Whoa. I have my opinions. I don't like the L button, you think it's fine. Whether it would be good for a beginner i don't know, but he says to use the L button to jump, as if it is set to jump by default, which it isn't. But of course, I realized too late this wasn't the place to post opinions that aren't someone else's, or else you're an elitist ego.

You're telling me to accept different things, but he's (as in the guy in the video) acting like L button is set to jump. it may be good to set it to jump, but he should say "You can set the L button to Jump" rather than "You can use the L button to jump."

You know what? Each time I respond, someone knew comes in and decides to insult me for my opinions. So Whatever. Go ahead and tell me how salty my post is, or how I'm still an ego for responding to someone. Whatever.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
We're not saying it's bad to use the LS to jump or anything, but they shouldn't have kept using the LS to jump as it gives the impression that it's the optimal way to jump, which it is not, as per the rulings of popular opinion among pro smashers.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Whoa. I have my opinions. I don't like the L button, you think it's fine. Whether it would be good for a beginner i don't know, but he says to use the L button to jump, as if it is set to jump by default, which it isn't. But of course, I realized too late this wasn't the place to post opinions that aren't someone else's, or else you're an elitist ego.

You're telling me to accept different things, but he's (as in the guy in the video) acting like L button is set to jump. it may be good to set it to jump, but he should say "You can set the L button to Jump" rather than "You can use the L button to jump."

You know what? Each time I respond, someone knew comes in and decides to insult me for my opinions. So Whatever. Go ahead and tell me how salty my post is, or how I'm still an ego for responding to someone. Whatever.
Your not a ego dude, you just need to accept that some peolpe like :GCLT: for jump.
You also need to stop getting so butthurt about this, he (the guy in the video) probably didn't know or something.

No need to get upset :cool:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
We're not saying it's bad to use the LS to jump or anything, but they shouldn't have kept using the LS to jump as it gives the impression that it's the optimal way to jump, which it is not, as per the rulings of popular opinion among pro smashers.
He just probably just didn't know or he just don't like useing the differnt buttons to jump.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
He just probably just didn't know or he just don't like useing the differnt buttons to jump.
Makes sense, but if he's making a tips and tricks guide he is supposed to know the most effective version of said tips and tricks, you know so he doesn't create an ever larger divide between casuals and competitives. Eh Sakurai?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Your not a ego dude, you just need to accept that some peolpe like :GCLT: for jump.
You also need to stop getting so butthurt about this, he (the guy in the video) probably didn't know or something.

No need to get upset :cool:
Uh, I;m not butthurt. I know some people like L for jump. i've tried it, it just doesn't work for me. Actually, Tap Jump off doesn't work for me. That's me more annoyed. Last time i was seriously mad over a post was loooong ago, and that started the second biggest Flame war on Sky 9 Forums... Ah, good days:troll:

Anyways, L button doesn't work for me, it might for other people.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Uh, I;m not butthurt. I know some people like L for jump. i've tried it, it just doesn't work for me. Actually, Tap Jump off doesn't work for me. That's me more annoyed. Last time i was seriously mad over a post was loooong ago, and that started the second biggest Flame war on Sky 9 Forums... Ah, good days:troll:

Anyways, L button doesn't work for me, it might for other people.
Er... Okay...

Next time, just don't upset over a silly button? Okay?

Dark Lady

A Red Witch

I'm not salty at all. I just saw the majority of the comments towards the video were quite rude. You're pretending like i've singled your post out. Heck, I didn't even quote ya.. Remember, the comment section doesn't consist of just Dark Lady replying to Warriorman222

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I'm not salty at all. I just saw the majority of the comments towards the video were quite rude. You're pretending like i've singled your post out. Heck, I didn't even quote ya.. Remember, the comment section doesn't consist of just Dark Lady replying to Warriorman222
I know. I'm using myself as an example, i get you were talking to detractors in general. But still, what's the point of you posting a post made of salt, that is basically insulting everyone who didn't like the guide? What do you expect us to say?

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
I have always disliked tutorials on Smash Bros. Learning the game and feeling it out for yourself is one of the most enjoyable parts in my opinion.

Top Bottom