• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got A Friend Who's New To Smash? Here Are Some Pointers

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
If the next one is about shielding, I swear.....
Press X to shield. and then Y to grab! Also, you can shield grabs, and you can't angle your shield. Also, did you know you can change how dense your shield is? I light shield is msller and has less ehalth but you don't go as far when hit!

So basically misinform, and reverse anything that was once true and presto! Instant Ijustine video!

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Tutorial unclear. Controller is somehow stuck up rectum.

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
This. I'm sorry but his guide is misleading, showing basic stuff like walking and jumping that an 8 year old could figure out, and not even mentioning the most important thing: Up-B. Al the damage you do doesn't matter if you die the moment you get knocked off stage.
Exactly I've played with my little sister and my fiancé and all I do is grab them and throw them. Repete until you get to the edge.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
No one's going to watch this.

You know what my friends do when I show them a new videogame? You know what most people's friends do? They pick up the controller and play it. Imagine being that one guy in the group who's like: "Oh you want to play and don't know how? Watch these videos first, they're pretty good instructions".

Snow Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
sn0wblack
No one's going to watch this.

You know what my friends do when I show them a new videogame? You know what most people's friends do? They pick up the controller and play it. Imagine being that one guy in the group who's like: "Oh you want to play and don't know how? Watch these videos first, they're pretty good instructions".
These are still useful. Like if you were to text your friend and say, "Hey you wanna come over and play some Smash Wii U later?" and he says "Sure, but I've never played before." You could send him these videos to help get him started. Or if after a friend plays and he says "I liked that game, but I wasn't really sure on a few things" these videos can help him out.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
These are still useful. Like if you were to text your friend and say, "Hey you wanna come over and play some Smash Wii U later?" and he says "Sure, but I've never played before." You could send him these videos to help get him started. Or if after a friend plays and he says "I liked that game, but I wasn't really sure on a few things" these videos can help him out.
That would be true if the video wasn't misleading and untrue. apart from that, a reliable video could be helpful. Any video that doesn't mention Up-B is by default unreliable, not to mention the disinformation and lack of true information given.

Last edited:

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
He advised us to jump with the L-Stick... WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DOES NINTENDO HIRE???
Lots of people use the control stick to jump/a combination of that and Y/X. Just because they do something different or SUGGEST A DIFFERENT OPTION FOR NEW PLAYERS doesn't mean they're an idiot.

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Lots of people use the control stick to jump/a combination of that and Y/X. Just because they do something different or SUGGEST A DIFFERENT OPTION FOR NEW PLAYERS doesn't mean they're an idiot.
Well I would have been okay if he said that and passed on, but since he kept using it it gives the impression it's the optimal way to jump.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
wow. there are some rude people on here lol.
This video was never directed to people who are veteran smash players. This is directed to brand new players who have never heard of the game before.
And it was good of them to explain C-sticking because a lot of people have no clue how to use a c-stick, or even what it is.
Please stop complaining and move on. Or, don't ;)
Sorry for the rant.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
wow. there are some rude people on here lol.
This video was never directed to people who are veteran smash players. This is directed to brand new players who have never heard of the game before.
And it was good of them to explain C-sticking because a lot of people have no clue how to use a c-stick, or even what it is.
Please stop complaining and move on. Or, don't ;)
Sorry for the rant.
I understand , but a person who wants to know about smash wants to learn about things that will help in basic fights, not things that won't. Double jumping is fine to show, but they forget the most important thing: Up-B. L shouldn't be set to jump, and you can not go through a whole fight with c-stick. Walking and jumping is easy to figure out, what else would the main analog be used for then? This video is meant for beginners, but the content is for those people who never played video games and just can't even.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Well I would have been okay if he said that and passed on, but since he kept using it it gives the impression it's the optimal way to jump.
So am I now an idiot for using the left stick mainly for jumping and Y for wavedashing in Melee/PM, and for some of my shorthops etc? NO

You're a dramaqueen, don't really need to say anything else.

Desjah Rei

Smash Rookie
Tell them to use Little Mac. they'll just Dash Attack spam, so camp the edge and shield grab.
Man, Little Mac's super armor on so many of his attacks are so bogus. I can't seem to counteract the ones who abuse smashes, I try to go in for the grab, but attack attack attack is usually what I receive. I play Peach, and I'm not very good with forums, any idea where I am to look in order to learn my match ups and options..?

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
well, my dad recently tried smash for the first time and he loved it! haha he caught on quick because i play pretty competitively and i taught him quite a bit!:D

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
He did cover using aerials with the C-stick: that's something a lot of people who pick up the game don't even think about doing. I think that's pretty good.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Woah now, loads of people are being total douches in this thread. This tutorial is clearly meant for people who don't play videogames. Notice how they are all in their 30s at least. Not everybody grew up with game pads.
Seriously...

If you already know how to play the game, why did you guys even both to watch the video? It says "Top 3 Beginner Tips."

...if you don't like their tips, shut up and post your own dang video.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Seriously...

If you already know how to play the game, why did you guys even both to watch the video? It says "Top 3 Beginner Tips."

...if you don't like their tips, shut up and post your own dang video.
I'm making one right now. There's a difference for not liking tips for being veterans, and then not liking tips because they are wrong and misinform. Sure, the C-stick is a good thing to know about, but you can't go through a whole battle with it, for multiple reasons. such as staling, 3 moves only and more. He's showing you how to hold the controller, but anyone can figure that out by looking at it. L isn't used to jump and shouldn't be set to jump. Lastly, double jumping is good to know, but if you're making a noob guide for Smash, you must, at all costs mention Up-B. If they don't watch the How To Play and get knocked off a fair distance, they die. ANd that's not fun, dying like that a lot.

Making a beginner's video is great and all, but make sure you're giving the more important tips, and make sure they're right.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I'm making one right now. There's a difference for not liking tips for being veterans, and then not liking tips because they are wrong and misinform. Sure, the C-stick is a good thing to know about, but you can't go through a whole battle with it, for multiple reasons. such as staling, 3 moves only and more. He's showing you how to hold the controller, but anyone can figure that out by looking at it. L isn't used to jump and shouldn't be set to jump. Lastly, double jumping is good to know, but if you're making a noob guide for Smash, you must, at all costs mention Up-B. If they don't watch the How To Play and get knocked off a fair distance, they die. ANd that's not fun, dying like that a lot.

Making a beginner's video is great and all, but make sure you're giving the more important tips, and make sure they're right.
Ahh I see. Next time I will watch the video before getting mad at everyone.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
So am I now an idiot for using the left stick mainly for jumping and Y for wavedashing in Melee/PM, and for some of my shorthops etc? NO

You're a dramaqueen, don't really need to say anything else.
but since he kept using it it gives the impression it's the optimal way to jump.
it gives the impression it's the optimal way to jump.
optimal way to jump.

Now tell me how your personal preferences automatically invalidate the practices and advice of an entire community...

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I understand , but a person who wants to know about smash wants to learn about things that will help in basic fights, not things that won't. Double jumping is fine to show, but they forget the most important thing: Up-B. L shouldn't be set to jump, and you can not go through a whole fight with c-stick. Walking and jumping is easy to figure out, what else would the main analog be used for then? This video is meant for beginners, but the content is for those people who never played video games and just can't even.
that is fair. Sorry for being rude :)

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Now tell me how your personal preferences automatically invalidate the practices and advice of an entire community...
How does it give an impression of the most optimal way to jump? YOU'RE the idiot LOL

DId I ever say my personal preference invalidate the practice/advice of a community? NO

Stop putting words in my mouth and grow up.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Wow, they really couldn't hire literally anyone else? If they can't get a pro Smash player in they still have Bill Trinen, he played other Treehouse members at E3 and won pretty consistently, he probably has some far greater insight into Smash than iJustine and whoever the guy is. You could probably find 8 year old kids who could give equal, if not better tutorials than what those two are creating. True talent.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
How does it give an impression of the most optimal way to jump? YOU'RE the idiot LOL

DId I ever say my personal preference invalidate the practice/advice of a community? NO

...Wow, you've got some serious salt.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

Dem :salt:is real. But really calm down. Who cares? In the end, the guide needs tons of work, can we agree that L is not a good thing to set jump to, even for a beginner?

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Ijustine...The god tier of smash players...

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
I didn't have to watch to the end to tell this would be something of a bad tutorial. It's not completely useless, but not ideal for introducing newcomers to the series, especially if this is their first game. He literally jumped from movement to C-sticking to jumping. I'm surprised he knew to use :GCA:, y'know THE BIGGEST BUTTON ON THE CONTROLLER.

No one's asking to get a tourney-level player to teach all the advanced techniques and combos to a novice, but if you're gonna get someone to be tutor to the newcomer, at least get someone literate in Smash to do it... like the How-to-Play video!

Last edited:

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Something tells me all of you nerds have not seen many new players/kids play. They use a lot of c-stick, and (with Kirby/Pikachu) a lot of down+b. They can go entire matches doing just that. And it's a great way for BEGINNERS to start.

'omfg y he no cver up+B facking moreon so bad'
to you peeps: get over it. That's probably gonna be under intermediate tips. This vid was just the equivalent of Melee's single button mode; they boiled it down to how to move and how to KO.

'omfg, he saiz to uze up on cntrul stick! Trolololol bad'

Need I remind you, there was a melee player who did everything while jumping with control stick. Even Wavedashing. Is it the best option? No. But it's the most logical one to new players; considering most other fighters use up to jump it's more intuitive for a lot of them

Sooooo, most of you need to stop talking, stop raging over a BASIC tutorial that covered the BASICS. You're all elitist and kind of scummy.

Top Bottom