• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Secondaries?

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Perhaps this should be discussed in the social thread or the question and answer thread but who do you all use as secondaries to Lucina and/or consider as good potential secondaries?

I currently use Jigglypuff, who obviously makes up for the lag that Lucina has throughout her aerials and who is also a lot better at dealing with projectiles and avoiding follow-ups due to her lightness, multiple jumps and smaller frame.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Perhaps this should be discussed in the social thread or the question and answer thread but who do you all use as secondaries to Lucina and/or consider as good potential secondaries?

I currently use Jigglypuff, who obviously makes up for the lag that Lucina has throughout her aerials and who is also a lot better at dealing with projectiles and avoiding follow-ups due to her lightness, multiple jumps and smaller frame.
kirby really good combo chains light decent arials

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I bust out Mario or Sonic when I run into Yoshi players, they have more options and quicker reactions than Lucina.

Monkeywitha6pack

Smash Rookie
Hm, a good secondary covers your mains shortcomings. So you may benefit from someone whos slow but hits like a truck like ganon or ike. personally I learned mario, dk, and recently mewtwo and the gsp coverage works pretty well for me.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I usually stick with Lucy and try to overcome the obstacles,doesn't matter how stacked the matchup is or how much of a uphill battle it's gonna be.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
I feel that Link or shiek are the best secondaries. They cover whatever Marth/Lucina cannot beat easily.

Megaman and Robin are good too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally for me it's Link or Robin since they are good with projectiles and with speed I go with Sheik. Also Ness is a good secondary.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Well, Lucina can be overwhelmed by an incredibly speedy opponent like Shiek, and a defensive character like Lucina has a hard time dealing with projectile users that can force an approach. So how about Fox? He's really fast and has a reflector.

I don't know, Lucina's my secondary.

aBlackCat

Smash Rookie
I'm able to play Bowser much more methodically than I ever can with Lucina. I switch to him when i learn what theyre doing but cant punish.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I've never in my life picked up other characters to make up for bad match-ups.

I've always felt most comfortable using Mario since Brawl days, and ever since I got Sm4sh, I decided to learn Lucina for her extended hitbox to make life a little easier online.

So yeah, my answer would be Mario. Absolutely no strategic thought put into that decision. :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While I don't explicitly use secondaries to cover bad matchups, I feel Samus and Bowser cover Lucina's weak points(problems with zoners, low damage) well if I need to switch.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well I play Rosalina & Luma and Mega Man a whole lot along with some Link and Falco. These characters work well for me.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Based on how im playing really,
if im being to aggro i force myself to slow down with:4pacman:
if i need better aerials or have an opponent who doesnt do well with grabs:4falco:
If i want more speed and am sick of Lucinas bull**** 20+ frames of landing lag then:4sheik:
And when i want just the tip:4marth:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I use Shulk because I like Xenoblade, but he also helps with his Monado Arts (except for Fox. Fox is a nightmare with Shulk).

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I usually stick with Lucy and try to overcome the obstacles,doesn't matter how stacked the matchup is or how much of a uphill battle it's gonna be.
Sooner or later Luci will get patched to the top anyway. May as well enjoy the game if you aren't going to be the next M2K or something.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Sooner or later Luci will get patched to the top anyway. May as well enjoy the game if you aren't going to be the next M2K or something.
luci being top tier will happen.....eventually but idk though with Roy running around and already being considered the best of the FE reps and potentially top ten but then again the opinions about him will differ in about a month or two once all the hype dies down.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
luci being top tier will happen.....eventually but idk though with Roy running around and already being considered the best of the FE reps and potentially top ten but then again the opinions about him will differ in about a month or two once all the hype dies down.
I do think Roy is go od versus high tiers ( most of them). But for some reason he struggles with characters in mid. I think he is very intricately balanced and his strengths help him where it counts, but his weaknesses hold him back in odd places.

One thing is for certain, I'm glad he is a Marth clone so I can use him easy.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
I do think Roy is go od versus high tiers ( most of them). But for some reason he struggles with characters in mid. I think he is very intricately balanced and his strengths help him where it counts, but his weaknesses hold him back in odd places.

One thing is for certain, I'm glad he is a Marth clone so I can use him easy.
I agree im having the most trouble against kirby pikachu and bowser.

Top Bottom