• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Practice Drills

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Hi Chaps,

I ran a quick search on the forum and came up a bit short.

I was specifically thinking of ways to drill FF fair to footstool off stage, however I thought if anyone else has any helpful drills that they run alone; the more the merrier.

Usually if I'm playing alone and I feel too rusty to go straight to ladder, then I'll:

- Run a 10 minute timed game vs a level 6 CPU; to blow off the cobwebs and get a few combos off to get up confidence
- Sometimes I'll do a 10 minute 1 stock vs a level 5 CPU and just run off, trying to survive the time limit
- I'll go practice mode and practice fox trotting, dance trotting and sh RAR bairs etc

I think it's hard to drill combos, as stuff like d throw to fair, up throw up air and nair to usmash can be spot dodged/teched IRL

Any tips welcome :)

-Voltron-

Smash Rookie
The way I practice fair to footstool is just go to training mode with a cpuwith a pretty bad recovery, I usually pick falcon, set them to about 90% and fsmash them off stage. When they try to recover fair them then just reset and repeat. I also do this to practice ledge trump to back air.

seoh

Smash Cadet
FF air spike is really easy. pick a cpu (omega stage) and then run at them, forward throw and do the spike. instantly reset after and resume. you should practice it against the entire cast, as its actually kind of variable in my experience. some characters have fast up specials, so if you don't get close enough, I've seen them get out. also some times you can get away with 2 hits, sometimes you need 4. also, a lot of characters live, like pit, 3d, olimar, villager etc.

for the combos you mentioned, do them against level 8 or 9 computers. the computers, depending on character, vary their DI on down throw. characters like pit will sometimes DI so you can uair, pickachu I know DI's in 3-4 ways (one for bair, one for uair, one for fair, one for low fair to fastfall spike). falcon, an many others actually just allow you to fair most of the time. additionally, 8 or 9 computers generally tech (GENERALLY) so you can actually practice nair, dair, jab2 to usmash pretty simply, especially if you use handicap. they do sometimes land with fair, aka falcon knee, so that can be annoying especially with jab2 at least in my experience. you can also do this for all the uair confirms (illusion, dash attack, utilt, dtilt, jab2 at high percents, that new fire fox jank etc) since they perfectly air dodge. the 3 scenarios are (assuming you land the uair) are they air dodge and it wasn't true so you goofed up, they throw out another move so it wasn't true therefore you goofed up, or they can't do either and you did the combo correctly.

Practicing combos on cpus can actually be pretty easy, you just have to know what the down sides are. mostly they fall into our vortex of utilt/uair easily and they use aerials unsafely (landing with knee/fair, randomly using stuff in air as you're chasing, sometimes not tecing).

as a recommendation for dthrow follow ups, I highly recommend practicing mostly bair. good players will DI away, making it a 50/50/ if they air dodge or not. if you read correctly, you can dash attack after air dodge (you can sometimes dash attack after bair as well). the other kinds of DI are generally not good for them because they often make uair/fair true.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Awesome advice dude, many thanks :D

I think fair spike will be next thing that I practice hard.

seoh

Smash Cadet
its not too hard! took me a few hours to learn it. once you get it down on whoever you pick, try on a bunch of characters to get a good feel for the timing. i practice it a few times before I do any real practice (just cause its simple) to make sure I think about going for it in matches

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
Using Fair with FF to footstool gets really easy to do. Especially on fast fallers. Here is a vid of my buddy who was on the receiving end of it 3 times lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdpqEcz5g4w

I tend to watch for air dodge reads then go for it. Just wait for the 3rd hit and its guaranteed.

Top Bottom