• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good game, just not happy with it.

BlueYogaMat

Smash Rookie
So this is my first post on Smash Boards but have been using the website for years and felt like i should say something about smash 4. I've been a huge fan of the series before i can remember and currently play competitive Melee and PM. I come home from uni once and a while and usually go to smash 4 for entertainment but I just don't enjoy it nearly as much as the others. I only find myself leaving the game angered and unsatisfied whether i win or lose. Granted i have an understanding of the series and winning isn't that irregular of an occurrence for myself. The game just feels beyond slow, so much that i feel out of control of my character and even the hits i land don't feel deserved. I was really hoping to enjoy the game more than I do, but hey. Maybe next game eh? Anyway just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on the topic thanks!

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy

But in all seriousness, you just gotta embrace the change man. Its not gonna be like the old days and we just gotta eat what we were hungry for despite whats on the plate.

Smash 4 was faster than its predecessor in all regards so I think this is the tipping point were gonna stay at (if Sakurai doesn't make another game that is.)

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The game can be slow, I agree there, but it only seems to manifest around matchups who are not built on rushdown playstyles or reacting to those playstyles. Rosalina vs Pacman - not going to be a fun game whatsoever. ZSS vs Falcon, going to be a lot more interesting. Even something like Sheik vs Pacman - where the more defensive character has to play off of reactions to the more offensive character's actions, will be more interesting.

I know some matchups make even Melee feel slow, though they are not common at all. Hungrybox and Armada managed to take Puff vs Young Link to time almost every match they played with those characters. Then matches between the top-tiers are quite a bit more dynamic.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
too early to give an opinion like this. + mew2 will bring a balance patch soon (1.0.6) so, give it more time, probably the community will develop a better opinion than you in less time

if you dont believe in this game you can just practice to improve in melee or something, not like theres many other options

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
It really depends in how you play IMO

When I'm with friends, I just go for goofy dream combos that I hope to hit and we all laugh it off and have a good time (and laugh even more if it actually lands)

If you play to win, then you're probably going to be playing a spacing, conscious game no matter what. I played both Melee with my Link VS Puff and in Sm4sh with a variety of characters on FG and it pretty much felt the same.

BlueYogaMat

Smash Rookie
Ya i suppose i should give it some more time. Just takes a little bit to adapt to not being as rewarded for offensive play as I am used to.
buddy take a look at this thread. It's a blast if you have offline friends to play with.
That does look incredibly fun btw^^

Muro

Smash Lord
Ya i suppose i should give it some more time. Just takes a little bit to adapt to not being as rewarded for offensive play as I am used to.
That does look incredibly fun btw^^
It's even more fun when you play it. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
About the slowness: The game is not really slow, it has a much better pace than Brawl. Offensive play is also rewarding, but you've got to have a big strategy against defensive people.
Lack of options: I'm sure that you're not that kind of guy who wants SHFFLL and Wavedash in everything, but there are two Advanced Techniques that kind of give more options to your neutral game (not on the air, on the ground): Perfect Pivoting and Dance trotting! Sorry, I can't post a link right now due to bad internet, but look those up.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
About the slowness: The game is not really slow, it has a much better pace than Brawl.
Not exactly. Most characters overall I think have worse frame data and longer recovery than in Brawl, just compare Smash attack startup in this game to Brawl. But since there isn't as much of 8 minutes of playing around Meta Knight , some people think it's faster. Obviously it depends on the matchup.

My problem with the game is that it's been impossible to choose a main character. Falco is now a different, inferior character with no unique advantages, Lucas is gone until he comes back in June or so, I don't like any of the new characters enough to want to main them. I feel like character weaknesses are much more pronounced now that endlag on moves is so long. Sometimes it feels less like Smash Bros and more like trying to play a really weird version of Street Fighter where you can't walk backwards.

Last edited:

BlueYogaMat

Smash Rookie
^^ I agree with that analogy. Yes it's tons of fun but it just doesn't feel like a true predecessor to me. Just seems like every character gets punished as much as a heavy would in previous smash titles. Also a little frustrating that tech skill is not nearly as prominent as it once was but I understand Nintendo's decision in doing so. My main issue is jut not feeling totally in control of my character where as i am used to in melee and pm my character (granted i know them well) are basically just an extension of my mind and what i'm capable of doing with my fingers. I just feel much more held back by the game itself now.

D

Deleted member 269706

You can't judge a game for what it isn't. If you are looking for something wrong with it, you will find it. But if you look past the flaws, and focus on the good parts, you'll find yourself enjoying it a lot more. I also think going in with a competitive mentality will keep you less than satisfied with pretty much everything. But if you think Melee is the way to play, then just stick with melee.

BlueYogaMat

Smash Rookie
^^ Very true. Ya i suppose i should focus on having fun before i try to think i'm going to be even as close to as successful i was in melee :) Thanks for bringing some sense to my situation hahah

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
All the Smash games are fun, but Sm4sh feels the most frustrating to play. Melee was fast and the new stages and items were a blast to play with. Brawl is probably the best "party" game I've ever played because of how well the changes lent itself to a more relaxed atmosphere. Sm4sh tries to take half and half of the good elements of both games and doesn't come off particularly strong in either.

Hating like half of the new stages on the Wii U didn't help at all. 3DS stages had more a of Brawl spirit to them but I hate playing it on a handheld so uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Top Bottom