• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Counter-Picks Against Sword Characters?

Mokaza

Smash Rookie
So I've recently been having trouble against sword characters in Ultimate with my Lucario. I was wondering who would be a good secondary character to pick up that is strong against sword characters like Ike and Marth. I'm pretty new to the competitive side of Ultimate and would like to learn as much as possible :)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Young Link is a pretty good answer to most sword characters, but if you're looking for someone without a sword, try Snake. It's hard for characters like Marth and Ike to approach characters who can quickly attack from a safe distance.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
My suggestions are anyone with a set of ranged attack options to keep those swords away from you. Simon/Richter, Mega Man, Zero Suit Samus, Samus/Dark Samus, Mii Gunner, Young Link, Toon Link, Link, Zelda, Palutena are some better ones. Bowser Jr is regarded as low-tier, but he's fun to play as anyway. King K Rool is also considered low-tier, but has some ranged options and unique abilities, but the big body may hurt you against the swordies. I'm currently working on Duck Hunt, who could also be a good pick, but is difficult to learn to play as.

Last edited:

MoirYuim

Smash Rookie
"Picking up Lucas as a second character might be a good idea. He's a strong choice against sword characters, and he has a similar playstyle to Lucario, so one should be able to learn him fairly quickly. He'll give the extra firepower I need to take down Ike and Marth and that he'll be a valuable addition to my roster.

Second choice from Sword Encyclopedia is Pikachu, a sword-resistant character with strong Lightning-based attacks that can easily take down sword characters. Alternatively, you could try Ganondorf, one of the heaviest and slowest characters in the game but makes up for it with his immense strength. Or, if you're looking for a more unorthodox choice, you could go with Jigglypuff, whose Rest attack can instantly KO sword characters if timed correctly. Ultimately, the best secondary character for you will depend on your playstyle and preferences, so experiment until you find the perfect match."

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Wolf is a decent pick. He has what is basically a sword with his claws, and an excellent projectile. His KO power is amazing, and his mobility is astounding. Easy to pick up and learn, and he only proves to be better the more you play him.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I feel like you can stick with Lucario. Just focus on not dying at high percents. Always expect a forward smash. I think it’s best to have a main you can always trust. There are too many sword fighters for you not to get experience with your main.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My suggestions are anyone with a set of ranged attack options to keep those swords away from you. Simon/Richter, Mega Man, Zero Suit Samus, Samus/Dark Samus, Mii Gunner, Young Link, Toon Link, Link, Zelda, Palutena are some better ones. Bowser Jr is regarded as low-tier, but he's fun to play as anyway. King K Rool is also considered low-tier, but has some ranged options and unique abilities, but the big body may hurt you against the swordies. I'm currently working on Duck Hunt, who could also be a good pick, but is difficult to learn to play as.
Yeah, with Marth and Lucina, I have sometimes struggled against ranged characters, Samus especially seems to be problematic.

Also characters with just longer reach such as Simon/Richter, Byleth, and Corrin stand out.

Top Bottom